Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kurtisjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Currently, I have a Verizon iPhone 6 on an UDP that I use daily to tether to my iPad Air 2, iPad mini, or MacBook. I have noticed that when I'm tethering and I plug my iPhone into the wall to charge, my data speeds are significantly slower across any of the three devices. I tried searching and couldn't find any similar issues or resolutions. Is any one else having this issue and found a solution?

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Currently, I have a Verizon iPhone 6 on an UDP that I use daily to tether to my iPad Air 2, iPad mini, or MacBook. I have noticed that when I'm tethering and I plug my iPhone into the wall to charge, my data speeds are significantly slower across any of the three devices. I tried searching and couldn't find any similar issues or resolutions. Is any one else having this issue and found a solution?

Overall personal hotspot is super buggy. Hopefully changes with ios9.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Try plugging it into your Mac and see if you have the same issue

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Are you using a cheap no-name charger? A lot of those garbage chargers put out radio frequency (RF) interference; this can raise havoc with your cellular connection or even the Wifi between your phone and the computer.

Use either genuine Apple chargers, or at the very least chargers from well-known companies. Not only do they not produce interference but they're safer too.

mickeydean

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2011
Overall personal hotspot is super buggy. Hopefully changes with ios9.
Maybe it isn't a feature used often? But I have found what you said to be true. Nothing worse than personal hotspot on iPhone of the iPhone flaws and bugs.

The exception is USB which works fine for the most part but Bluetooth/WIFI sharing is so poor. Even though the iPhone supplying my iPhone were new at the time and updated, with never more than 2 feet, the connection dropped out. I had trouble finding personal hotspots people turning on just for my sake (I was overseas). Very poorly done Apple.

kurtisjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Are you using a cheap no-name charger? A lot of those garbage chargers put out radio frequency (RF) interference; this can raise havoc with your cellular connection or even the Wifi between your phone and the computer.

Use either genuine Apple chargers, or at the very least chargers from well-known companies. Not only do they not produce interference but they're safer too.

No, I'm using an apple charger, though it is the 10w adapter for the iPad. I will try the standard adapter that comes with the iPhone and see if there is a difference.

kurtisjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Also, forgot to add it doesn't matter whether I use it over BT or WIFI, it slows down when plugged in, if I tether through USB directly to the Mac it is normal speeds and doesn't slow down.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Have you tried just powering the phone through your Mac and tethering via its wifi connection?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.