Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwlecompte

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Ask Siri: "Show my unread messages"
Siri will show nothing, but ask you if you want to reply, no. If you have multiple phantom unread messages, Siri will continue asking you if you want to reply. After going through all phantom messages, the badge count will correct.
This did the trick for me! I've tried the other "solutions" without any luck. Was driving me nuts! I don't use Siri and have actually turned it off but was willing to try anything and reenabled it. Siri found the unread messages which appear to be part of 2-part messages with on part being read and the other part "hidden". Now my iMessage notifications match on iPhone, MBA and Mac Mini. THANK YOU! And Siri is disabled again. I also signed up for an account to thank the OP, @kylebarker72.

Reactions: KyloKing

KyloKing

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
This worked for me too. Brilliant workaround thank you so much.

For those wondering what the unread messages were, they were various automated text messages I had previously received from the cell company i used when i had another simcard overseas
Same here. I was in Australia for over a year, and the message was from Optus. I tried so many different things repeatedly for months, but this is what worked.

KyloKing

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2023
Y
Siri will show nothing, but ask you if you want to reply, no. If you have multiple phantom unread messages, Siri will continue asking you if you want to reply. After going through all phantom messages, the badge count will correct.
You are a genius. Been trying things for months to no avail. Registered an account here just to say THANK YOU! It was irritating me to no end. Turns out it was a message from a previous cell phone company whose SIM card I used while overseas.

Yeaandy

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2023
I also signed up just to thank you. This is the only thing that worked for me out of all the proposed solutions. I also wanted to add that I had to ask Siri to read my messages on my iPhone and that fixed that issue. However, I still had one unread badge on my laptop iMessages (even though I'd sorted the conversations by unread and it showed no unread messages) so I asked Siri on my laptop to read all my messages, and she read one that I'd definitely already read and responded to, but that did the trick!!!!! Now all those annoying red badges for phantom messages are gone. Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out and altruistically post your solution to help the rest of us.

Reactions: ThrowerGB

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I’ve had this happen as well. I usually just end up clicking on every recent message conversation in the messages app and eventually it finds one that was “unread” even though it had been read on another device. I find it is usually a SMS conversation that causes this. And to note as another poster said, it usually happens after a few days on inactivity on that Mac.
Yes, this worked for me. Some junk texts from politcal orgs. I blocked and deleted them all and my counter badge is now cleared.

ballingxo

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2024
Wow! Unexpected solution that works! Signed up for an account just to say thank you since this has been bothering me for so long!

ajg23

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Or, tap with two fingers to get the context menu from the Messages icon in the dock. Under "New Message" a the top will be an entry about an unread message. Click that and an empty message thread will appear. Close that and the badge will clear.
This is the one that worked for me (on Sonoma 14.3)! Well, it required one more step: when I right-clicked the dock icon, and then clicked the single conversation (shown as phone number only) below "New Message", the Messages app showed "1 Conversation Selected," but I didn't see that conversation list on the left. However, from the conversation menu I was able to click Delete Conversation, and the badge went away!

WARNING: After the above, to assist writing this post, I right-clicked the Messages app on the dock icon's pop-up menu again, and it still showed that conversation! I clicked it and Messages again showed "1 Conversation Selected." But THIS TIME, when I clicked Delete Conversation, it deleted the previously-selected conversation (which was my pinned conversation with my wife!).

XCrystalMermaidX

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
This is the one that worked for me (on Sonoma 14.3)! Well, it required one more step: when I right-clicked the dock icon, and then clicked the single conversation (shown as phone number only) below "New Message", the Messages app showed "1 Conversation Selected," but I didn't see that conversation list on the left. However, from the conversation menu I was able to click Delete Conversation, and the badge went away!

WARNING: After the above, to assist writing this post, I right-clicked the Messages app on the dock icon's pop-up menu again, and it still showed that conversation! I clicked it and Messages again showed "1 Conversation Selected." But THIS TIME, when I clicked Delete Conversation, it deleted the previously-selected conversation (which was my pinned conversation with my wife!).
This is CRITICAL The warning on this just happened to me and I lost a multi-year history with my partner of 20 years. Im gutted and heartbroken. It made the bug go away but it completely deleted everything. IM absolutely done with Apple Devices. This is the last time I have to wipe my device or lose precious memories because of their piss poor QC on their products and refusal to fix even the simplest of bugs.

• Wow
Reactions: ThrowerGB
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.