Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
This is a bit odd, but on Sunday I received a password reset email from Apple saying that it had been changed successfully.

Well, I didn’t notice this email until today but over the course of this week I got several of the “Your Apple ID and phone number are now being used for iMessage on a new (device)” and chocked it up to recent iOS 17.4 updates.

However, tonight I try to log in to my Developer (same Apple ID) account and it says the saved password is incorrect. At this point I go check my email and that’s when I see it had changed 4 days ago. I immediately reset the password via my iPhone and contacted Apple support to see if they could give me any info on the device that requested the initial password reset (they couldn’t).

Anyone else ever experienced this? I have 2 factor turned on and never received any other alert that a password had changed. All very strange. Before resetting my password I checked the devices/emails/phone #s on my account and everything looked to be in order.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Reset your password and log out of your Apple ID for all your devices. There’s nothing else you can do at this point.

Reactions: FreakinEurekan

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
Reset your password and log out of your Apple ID for all your devices. There’s nothing else you can do at this point.
That’s my fear. Password reset.

I’m surprised there’s not more device info on the Apple account page. Google shows every device and IP addresses. Apple just shows my own devices and no history. For times like this it would help identify if it was something done accidentally by my kids or something else. Ah well

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I immediately reset the password via my iPhone
I think you were spammed. If you were able to reset the password using your phone, your password wasn’t reset to begin with. Had it been, you would have been locked out of your account.

alanvitek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2021
I think you were spammed. If you were able to reset the password using your phone, your password wasn’t reset to begin with. Had it been, you would have been locked out of your account.
I don’t think that was the case as I wasn’t able to login into my iCloud or my Developer account using my existing password, they both said that the existing password was incorrect. Very strange

TwitchyPuppy

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2016
Canada
I don’t think that was the case as I wasn’t able to login into my iCloud or my Developer account using my existing password, they both said that the existing password was incorrect. Very strange

Did you try using your new password (the one you changed from your phone)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.