Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Music-Black-Banner-250x125.jpg
Apple plans to attract users to sign up for Apple Music by offering a free three-month trial period, but another way it will attempt to lure subscribers is by offering exclusive content through the incoming streaming music service. In late April, it was reported that the company was in talks with multiple artists, including Florence and the Machine and Taylor Swift, about exclusive content deals.

Just a few months later, hip-hop artist Pharrell Williams appears to be one of the first artists to reach a deal with Apple. Pharrell recently tweeted a teaser video for his upcoming single "Freedom," and the ending credits reveal that the song will be exclusive to Apple Music, which launches June 30 on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac and PC for $9.99 per month after the free trial period.

Freedom. June 30th @AppleMusic
https://t.co/82MceAkbRe - Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) June 23, 2015
"Freedom" was also the soundtrack of the Apple Music ad "Worldwide," featuring DJ Zane Lowe, that was shown at WWDC.

It remains unknown what Apple is offering artists in return for making their music available exclusively through Apple Music, as the terms of the deal have not been disclosed, but it likely involves additional payment beyond Apple Music's standard 71.5% to 73% revenue sharing model. Apple already pays a few percentage points more than market leader Spotify and other competitors, which share approximately 70% of revenue with artists and music rights holders.

Article Link: Pharrell's Single 'Freedom' Will Be Exclusive to Apple Music

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
don't know if i've seen an answer...what happens to the current apple radio set up? so right now we pay for the iTunes match and get the ad free apple radio. is that gone by the wayside? do we have to pay for iTunes match and apple music? or...?

Reactions: autrefois

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Competition with exclusive music for streaming services, is going to be bad for consumers.

If you want to listen to many artists, you're going to need a tidal subscription, and an apple music subscription, and a spotify subscription.

An ideal streaming services has all the music you want to listen to.

A streaming services can artificially have more songs than another services with exclusive content.

Apple + 1
Spotify - 1
Tidal - 1

But then if all of them start to do this, you'll get chaos:

Apple +6 -3
Spotify +3 -7
Tidal +4 -3

Which will make choosing the right services hard for consumers

Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Right, exclusives are good for the companies that sell video game consoles, but not for the gamers. Just like this music exclusive will be good for Apple but not for people who listen to music.

What do you do if your favorite artist has an exclusive on Apple Music and your second favorite artist has an exclusive on Tidal? Are you going to pay for two streaming services?

iMember

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2014
I'm not familiar with this singer, but I heard many people hate him..I don't understand why Apple puts themselves in this type of position, do u remember back in the day when Apple launched iTunes and the Black Eyed Peace was poster boys for the service? They were not to popular but atleast nobody hate it them..I think Apple should just repeat the same tecnique

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I'm not familiar with this singer, but I heard many people hate him..I don't understand why Apple puts themselves in this type of position, do u remember back in the day when Apple launched iTunes and the Black Eyed Peace was poster boys for the service? They were not to popular but atleast nobody hate it them..I think Apple should just repeat the same tecnique
This artist is mainstream. It's about 50/50 love or hate. Unfortunately that's what really sell in the music industry right now. IMO his songs are not bad but not something that will make me follow him for every album.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
So many things wrong with this comment. You don't know who he is, but "you heard" that many people hate him. Hate is such a strong word. He's a musician, some people like his music and other don't like it. But he's huge in the industry and has quite the fan base. As for the Black Eyes Peas, nobody "hated" them? What world do you live in? Some very lazy thinking going on here.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Competition with exclusive music for streaming services, is going to be bad for consumers.

If you want to listen to many artists, you're going to need a tidal subscription, and an apple music subscription, and a spotify subscription.

An ideal streaming services has all the music you want to listen to.

A streaming services can artificially have more songs than another services with exclusive content.

Apple + 1
Spotify - 1
Tidal - 1

But then if all of them start to do this, you'll get chaos:

Apple +6 -3
Spotify +3 -7
Tidal +4 -3

Which will make choosing the right services hard for consumers

Do all music stations currently all the music out there??? No. Not even the ones that are playing the same genre have the same library of content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.