Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips on Monday morning confirmed that its series of connected smart light bulbs, Philips Hue, will begin supporting Apple HomeKit sometime in the Fall. First announced nearly a year ago at last year's WWDC, HomeKit is Apple's home automation platform that aims to give developers and manufacturers a standardized framework to build devices that interact not only with Apple's products but one another as well.

According to Philips, all current Hue owners will be able to upgrade their existing home systems to take advantage of Hue's interaction with HomeKit. Unfortunately, besides confirming the partnership and that current Hue owners will be able to take advantage of it, Philips didn't reveal any other information today, besides that the company plans to give out "more detailed information" this September.

Philips' announcement of HomeKit support comes a few days after the first products compatible with the Apple home automation platform entered the market. Led by companies like Elgato, iHome, and Lutron, the HomeKit-supported devices allow users to measure air quality, control power to various electrical outlets, and even control lighting with a wireless dimmer.

Since the Philips Hue lighting system currently requires a wireless hub directly connected to a router to function, it's unclear whether the HomeKit upgrade will require a simple software update or need some actual new piece of equipment to work properly. The company did note that, "Philips Hue will help existing users to upgrade their system," whenever the update does go live. Philips encourages those interested in the HomeKit-related news, and general announcements from the company regarding Hue, to follow them on Facebook and Twitter for updates throughout the summer, leading up to its September announcement.

Article Link: Philips Hue Gaining Apple HomeKit Support This Fall

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Boom Boom Boom. Happy days and it puts a rest to the discussion of wether people have to upgrade their products. Awesome

Reactions: RichTF

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Unfortunately, besides confirming the partnership and that current Hue owners will be able to take advantage of it, Philips didn't reveal any other information today, besides that the company plans to give out "more detailed information" this September.

Rephrased: Phillips, today, issued a statement kindly asking customers not to abandon them in favour of companies that actually spent the past year readying HomeKit support for their products.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Rephrased: Phillips, today, issued a statement kindly asking customers not to abandon them in favour of companies that actually spent the past year readying HomeKit support for their products.
Haha, a cynical take, but probably true. I've already got a lot of Hue bulbs though, so I'm just relieved and happy to take whatever scraps they throw. :D

axe9920

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2011
I was literally looking a hue prices an hour ago. Guess there's no hurry, I've been putting it off for long enough now anyway!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Haha, a cynical take, but probably true. I've already got a lot of Hue bulbs though, so I'm just relieved and happy to take whatever scraps they throw. :D
Well, they say this over on their U.S. website [bold mine]:

Philips USA said:
With Apple HomeKit... Your existing Philips Hue lights will work seamlessly and any necessary upgrade to the system will be fully supported. More details will follow from September 2015...

That's pretty encouraging, if they mean it.

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK
Well, they say this over on their U.S. website
. . .
That's pretty encouraging, if they mean it.
Yeah, it's certainly encouraging, although interesting that it only says "existing lights".

Again, it's being a bit cynical, but it's possible we might need a new base station? Hope not, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. :)

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I don't have Hue so this doesn't affect me, but I'm wondering if the bulbs themselves will be compatible (why wouldn't they be?) vs the bridge. Will it just be a firmware update or will you need a new bridge? I'm really not sure what that statement (quoted by Arran above) from Philips means.

I'm in this same situation with the UDI ISY994 and waiting to see what it will take for that to be HomeKit compatible.

UnseenLlama

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, it's certainly encouraging, although interesting that it only says "existing lights".

Again, it's being a bit cynical, but it's possible we might need a new base station? Hope not, so we'll have to wait and see I guess. :)

Agree with this take. All new HomeKit accessories required new hardware for the security aspect (new chips). I had to replace my Lutron Caseta hub with the "new" HomeKit hub even though they are exactly the same on the outside.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
According to Philips, all current Hue owners will be able to upgrade their existing home systems to take advantage of Hue's interaction with HomeKit.

Sure, they can upgrade but the question is, how much is it going to cost to do so? I can upgrade my existing Insteon system to be HomeKit-compatible, too, but it's going to cost me $150 for a new Insteon hub.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
I'd still avoid buying them now if you want HomeKit integration as it will require additional hardware to make it work. The current hardware is not compatible with HomeKit requirements.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
They probably set this target alongside iOS9's release from the getgo.

I can see that. I think it would have been better to launch now so that people can go and re-purchase everything they need to (since we know a new bridge will be required) in preparation for iOS9, but... oh well lol.

Reactions: RichTF

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Good to hear! But I'll wait until I see Hue boxes with "designed for Homekit" (or similar) printed on them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Boom Boom Boom. Happy days and it puts a rest to the discussion of wether people have to upgrade their products. Awesome
Except that it does not. The statement is not clear if you have to update hardware or software, only that they will assist in the upgrade. I am hopeful for a software only upgrade, but think hardware will be needed. In anycase, I am just happy to get a confirmation that they will finally support HomeKit.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
According to Philips, all current Hue owners will be able to upgrade their existing home systems to take advantage of Hue's interaction with HomeKit. Unfortunately, besides confirming the partnership and that current Hue owners will be able to take advantage of it, Philips didn't reveal any other information today, besides that the c

Deciphered

Please keep buying our product as we need to shift old stock. A new hub and product is coming soon. You will need to buy a new one else you are stuck with limited functionality. We are not sorry. Love the Philips hue team.

All abandon ship now.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Philips fix the issue of this light may not be reachable.

I'm thousands of miles away. What does this mean?

Your light is blinking red green red all day and night?

Your light is on full time?

Your light is off?

Wtf is goin on at home?

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Judging my the fact to get HomeKit on the luton you need to buy a new hub and to get home kit on Ecobee you need to buy a whole new thermostat its safe to say we will be buying a new bridge for our phillips hue kit

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Judging my the fact to get HomeKit on the luton you need to buy a new hub and to get home kit on Ecobee you need to buy a whole new thermostat its safe to say we will be buying a new bridge for our phillips hue kit

Pity hue team told so many of us we wouldn't need to. Maybe they meant we will give you a free one when we **** you over.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Pity hue team told so many of us we wouldn't need to. Maybe they meant we will give you a free one when we **** you over.

The hub itself isn't expensive compared with the bulbs and other Hue products.

In the meantime (and continuing until later this year), you will have enjoyed the benefit of its use. So it's hardly a complete waste of loads of money.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
The hub itself isn't expensive compared with the bulbs and other Hue products.

In the meantime (and continuing until later this year), you will have enjoyed the benefit of its use. So it's hardly a complete waste of loads of money.

It is when many of us were told we WOULDNT NEED TO BUY A NEW BRIDGE and to JUST GO AHEAD AND BUY THE CURRENT PRODUCT

Lies lies lies by Philips hue?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

Good catch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.