Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today announced the launch of the Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum Connected toothbrush, the company's first brush that includes Bluetooth connectivity and connects to an iPhone to track brushing habits.

The Flexcare Platinum Connected toothbrush includes "Smart Sensor technology" to track specific brushing locations in the mouth, making sure all teeth get proper attention. It also includes scrubbing and pressure alerts to keep users from brushing too hard, something that can lead to gum deterioration, and there's a timer and a monitor to let you know when to replace a brush head.

sonicarebluetoothbrush-800x631.jpg

Sonicare is releasing an app alongside the toothbrush, which will deliver information on brushing habits and let users know the areas that need more attention through a "Touch Up" feature and a personalized 3D Mouth Map.

Sonicare will ship the Flexcare Platinum Connected toothbrush with the AdaptiveClean brush head, one of its newer brush heads featuring flexible rubberized sides and a larger size for four times more surface contact and better plaque removal.

sonicareapp-800x707.jpg

Like all Sonicare brushes, the Flexcare Platinum Connected features several brushing modes, including Clean (standard two minute mode), White (for a quick polish) and DeepClean (a three minute clean), plus different intensity settings.

Philips competitor Oral-B has been offering a line of adult Bluetooth-connected toothbrushes since early in 2015, so Sonicare is late to the connected brushing game with the Flexcare Platinum Connected. Sonicare has, however, been selling a Bluetooth-connected kids toothbrush since late 2015.

Sonicare plans to begin selling the new Bluetooth-connected toothbrush for $199 starting in mid-July.

Article Link: Philips' New Bluetooth-Enabled Sonicare Toothbrush Connects to Your iPhone

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL
This whole state of "interconnectedness" with every appliance, device, utility, computer, phone, tablet, etc. that I own is beginning to get a little much.

I always thought from the beginning that the whole conceptual idea of a cellphone was frightening from the start; always being in touch and connected with the outside world via a mechanism able to facilitate a communication connection despite the circumstances nor geographic boundaries nor day not time, rather than a convenience device when you didn't feel like stopping at a phone booth to respond to a page.

This is an exercise in futility at a micro level of management governing inadimate objects that yield nothing useful to the end user "tracking the data" for real world purposes.

I have no desire nor the patience to "manage" another appliance via my phone/watch.

I honestly do not know where it ends.

If this IS for you, however, then I'm glad they made it possible and the best of luck.

Best,

USVet

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
There are people who buy £1.99 toothbrushes, people that buy electric toothbrushes that vary in cost, say £50 for a decent one and then there are the people who buy this.

Why? I think we know how to brush our own teeth!! Jeez.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
Wow...think about an useless application...this would probably be in the all time top 10...

Oh, I dunno. The BT cup that tells you how much you've consumed is pretty strong competition. :p

I love my Sonicare, but this is beyond a bit too much. Besides, I don't usually have my phone in the bathroom with me. This is useless without an Apple Watch app. /s

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I like my $19.95 oral-b brush. I could see $49, but $199, come on. It should brush your teeth hands free for that price!
Hey there you go I thought of it first. A tooth brushing drone! Hold your tongue though.

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Kids version would make little more sense. Mainly because you could track their brushing habits and help them take better care of their teeth.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
Never use Sonicare toothbrushes. They can crack you teeth and wreck your gums. SC toothbrushes should be taken off the market. Health hazard. Bastards.

Way to reference them scientifical studies there, man. An Oral-B man myself, my teeth remain uncracked and my gums unwrecked. But YMMV. As for this new Sonicare gadget...I'd say it's about as useless as this post here that I'm writing.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
I'd get it if it were like $120 cheaper
There are a LOT of things I would buy if they were 60% cheaper.
[doublepost=1465503506][/doublepost]
Never use Sonicare toothbrushes. They can crack you teeth and wreck your gums. SC toothbrushes should be taken off the market. Health hazard. Bastards.
You're supposed to use the brush end on your teeth. Don't chew on the base.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I own the oral-b bluetooth connected toothbrush, and I have to say the bluetooth feature is more useful than you would think... It's kind of like a fitness tracker for your mouth, it reminds you to brush your teeth, it keeps track of when and how long you brushed and it nags you to brush if you forget for a day... TBH my oral health has improved significantly since i bought the thing, if for no other reason than the "gamification" of the process...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.