Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
Updated to IOS 8 last night and just realized that when someone calls my wife, my phone rings too and visa versa.
I checked Settings, Phone and we have different numbers. Call forwarding is off. I can call her and she can call me. But, when either of us are dialed, they both go off. We are with ATT on a shared account. Any ideas??

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Updated to IOS 8 last night and just realized that when someone calls my wife, my phone rings too and visa versa.
I checked Settings, Phone and we have different numbers. Call forwarding is off. I can call her and she can call me. But, when either of us are dialed, they both go off. We are with ATT on a shared account. Any ideas??

Is family share turned on?

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
It does this from our land line. But, both phones were on our wifi too if that makes a difference. We also have two iPads at home as well.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Check Settings/Facetime for "iPhone Cellular Calls."
Try turning it off.

Also, try restarting both phones.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Are you sharing an iCloud account? If so, don't. You should each have your own Apple ID's for your devices.

You shouldn't tell anyone not to share icloud accounts if there's a use-case for it. My wife and I share icloud accounts so we can share purchases (why should we have to pay for apps twice if we both want it), share the same icloud backup storage space (we each go over the free 5GB so why pay for extra space on two accounts when sharing is less expensive) and, most importantly, we share the same photo stream so that we can see each other's pictures when we take pictures of our newborn.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
You shouldn't tell anyone not to share icloud accounts if there's a use-case for it. My wife and I share icloud accounts so we can share purchases (why should we have to pay for apps twice if we both want it), share the same icloud backup storage space (we each go over the free 5GB so why pay for extra space on two accounts when sharing is less expensive) and, most importantly, we share the same photo stream so that we can see each other's pictures when we take pictures of our newborn.

you can see it by using family sharing and have 2 icloud accounts too...

chrisandersen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
The same iCloud account may be it. But, I have been doing this since the beginning, and it has worked out fine. So, I need to get her an apple ID and add it to the family plan? Then, change her phone to the new apple ID?

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
The same iCloud account may be it. But, I have been doing this since the beginning, and it has worked out fine. So, I need to get her an apple ID and add it to the family plan? Then, change her phone to the new apple ID?

The reason it would start now is the new features in iOS8. The two separate ID's and family share would probably be the best. Turning handoff should also work, but then you lose that feature.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Can't you leave things as they are and just turn off Handoff on both phones?

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
If you want to use Handoff only on your own iphone + ipad, as an example, you could turn this feature off on your wife's phone. If you want this feature on for both phones and not ring each other's phone, then you'll need separate icloud accounts.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
So much for Handoff being useful. My wife and I use the same iCloud account because we use the same contacts and calendars.

Apple needs to allow a device to use different iCloud accounts for different features.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
So much for Handoff being useful. My wife and I use the same iCloud account because we use the same contacts and calendars.

Apple needs to allow a device to use different iCloud accounts for different features.

You could export the contacts to a new icloud account, and set up a shared calender.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
You could export the contacts to a new icloud account, and set up a shared calender.

Exporting the contacts like that wouldn't help much. Then they wouldn't stay in sync. We currently sync the same contacts with both our phones and our Mac.

Apple has always done a lousy job dealing with these issues.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

You are wrong.

My family and I share an itunes account to share purchases. That's the account we all use to sign into the app store and itunes store with.

iCloud accounts are different. If my family and I shared those, we would all have the same contacts, tasks, calendars and imessage. It would be horrible.

There is no use case for spouses to share icloud account unless they want to have a joint account where they receive each other's imessages, share every single to do list, and every single calendar appointment.

there's a reason why apple let's you use two apple id's on your phone. one for purchases (app store/itunes), and one for iCloud.

lastly, apple introduced family sharing with iOS 8. You and your wife can now use completely different apple ids for everything (itunes, app store, AND icloud) and as long as the credit cards match, you won't pay for something twice.

You said "You shouldn't tell anyone not to share icloud accounts"

Well, I'm going to tell you that you really shouldn't tell anyone to share icloud accounts unless you have a better idea of what that means.

----------

please see my above post.

do not share an icloud account with your wife.

you can use the same account to buy things from app store and itunes store, but you should have a separate icloud account from her.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
You and your wife need to get a life man. It seems like you 2 became 1 person. Purchases are one thing, but contacts, calendars and everything else, the same? Damn.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
Exporting the contacts like that wouldn't help much. Then they wouldn't stay in sync. We currently sync the same contacts with both our phones and our Mac.

Apple has always done a lousy job dealing with these issues.

Ahh didn't even think of sync, I hardly ever have to change or add a contact. Only other way would be to use google or yahoo until Apple ever adds the feature. As for calender looks like family share will take care of it, hopefully they will add contacts to it as some point.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
You are wrong.

My family and I share an itunes account to share purchases. That's the account we all use to sign into the app store and itunes store with.

iCloud accounts are different. If my family and I shared those, we would all have the same contacts, tasks, calendars and imessage. It would be horrible.

There is no use case for spouses to share icloud account unless they want to have a joint account where they receive each other's imessages, share every single to do list, and every single calendar appointment.

there's a reason why apple let's you use two apple id's on your phone. one for purchases (app store/itunes), and one for iCloud.

lastly, apple introduced family sharing with iOS 8. You and your wife can now use completely different apple ids for everything (itunes, app store, AND icloud) and as long as the credit cards match, you won't pay for something twice.

You said "You shouldn't tell anyone not to share icloud accounts"

Well, I'm going to tell you that you really shouldn't tell anyone to share icloud accounts unless you have a better idea of what that means.

I guess I started a good off topic conversation on this thread.

My wife and I share the same icloud account. We do not share contacts (google), tasks (we don't use tasks), calendars (google) and imessages (imessages and texts come to our phone number). I must be smarter than the average bear since I have our phones setup properly, despite having the same icloud accounts on both.

You're correct that itunes and icloud accounts are different so I guess sharing purchases isn't part of this conversation. But we really wanted to be able to share a photo stream since we each take a lot of pictures of our newborn and it's nice having the pictures right there on each other's phone when we're both on wifi.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I guess I started a good off topic conversation on this thread.

My wife and I share the same icloud account. We do not share contacts (google), tasks (we don't use tasks), calendars (google) and imessages (imessages and texts come to our phone number). I must be smarter than the average bear since I have our phones setup properly, despite having the same icloud accounts on both.

You're correct that itunes and icloud accounts are different so I guess sharing purchases isn't part of this conversation. But we really wanted to be able to share a photo stream since we each take a lot of pictures of our newborn and it's nice having the pictures right there on each other's phone when we're both on wifi.

smarter than the average bear indeed.

the way you have it is very specific to you and your wife then. most people won't go so far out of apple's ecosystem and would run into all the problems you avoided. one, because of convenience and two, because most people aren't as tech savvy.

even still, sharing an icloud account will eventually lead to a weird connection between your devices. game data will be shared. all app data will be shared. it's cleaner to keep them separate.

you can still use the same apple id you're sharing currently for purchases, one of you would just set up a new apple id to sign into icloud with (which is different than signing into app store or itunes store) and then you wouldn't ever have to worry about overlap.

edit:

missed the post at the bottom about newborn.

that's awesome. congratulations!!!

and if that's your reasoning for sharing an icloud account, that's pretty damn cute.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.