Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Along with my other thread where I said I'd be making posters, it looks like I'll be making a few photo books, too. I would like to make a realistic mockup of what the book will look like to show off & I'm wondering how I should go about doing this.

I found this tutorial about using the vanishing point in PS to make a realistic business card mockup.. but a business card is pretty much 2D. How would one go about making a similar effect but with a book?

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
not very easily in my opinion - others might have other ideas though. As you say the business card is 2d while the book is 3d. Most of the '3d' looking books I've seen seem to be either photo's with bits changed or cad renderings (would be my approach as its quicker for me).

However you could do a fake book idea if the book is standing on end (maybe if flat) - have several layers slightly steped to simulate the open aspect of the pages when the book is open. Then have a couple of layers angled/adjusted for perspective to be a turning page etc.

something like this photo
open-chinle_1888.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.