Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Most interesting thing to me if the 5.5" does exist is Apple's justification for going that big after all the marketing around the iPhone 5 and 5s was focused on how great it is for one handed use.

Also - if I go 5.5" I'll have to seriously consider selling my iPad Air since the functionality of the two devices will be too redundant to justify owning and managing both.

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
It's easy to imagine Apple would have developed a few working prototypes of a 5.5 inch model just get hands on reactions from select members of the design team. Whether or not they decide to actually put it into production is a whole different matter. I, for one, think 5.5 inches is a rediculous size for a phone.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Most interesting thing to me if the 5.5" does exist is Apple's justification for going that big after all the marketing around the iPhone 5 and 5s was focused on how great it is for one handed use.

Also - if I go 5.5" I'll have to seriously consider selling my iPad Air since the functionality of the two devices will be too redundant to justify owning and managing both.

The SJ era was one era, the post SJ era is another era. Aside from his unfortunate passing, the iPhone was the first modern day smartphone, but today for most people, its not a smartphone its a mobile PC/Mini iPad call it what you like. Its for music, apps, social media, camera, plus you can also make a call if you want to. With all due respect, I'd struggle to see what SJ would have done in this smartphone evolution era. Would we have the MANY Android features that have bene coming, and are still? 4" iPhone and now bigger?

My take is I am tired of incremental updates, I am concerned this will be a huge phone, much bigger than other 4.7/5.5, and an iPad Mini, wifi, that will soon be able to make telco calls, SMS, as well as iMessage might be quite handy. I'll take my 5S, and I could also use an iPad Mini as my full phablet if the situation warranted it.

Buy a 5.5 iPhone, or instead buy an iPad Mini? Which will be a 7.9 iPhone

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Funny, I can do all that with my Note 3. Just typed all this with one hand while rubbing my dogs belly. It's a lot easier than you think it is.

----------

Because that's just completely impractical and has no cell service.

----------

I'm buying this one as well plus the Note 4.

----------

Would people get over this one handed use crap please. 100s of millions of people use 5"+ screens everyday with no trouble at all. Heck, I'm using the Note 3 right now typing all this with one hand. It's an non issue.

Why is one handed use crap? It's high on a lot of people's list of priorities when looking for a phone for good reason... It's important and super useful.

I don't doubt that a lot of people use their phablets without problems.... With two hands. Typing with one hand is not the same as using your phone with one hand. Heck, I couldn't even delete an icon off my home screen with one hand on my HTC which is "only" 4.7 inches.

It's a trade off some people are willing to make while some people like me find the benefits of an additional .7" of screen real estate is outweighed by the increased difficulty of one handed operation, bigger footprint and increased weight.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Why is one handed use crap? It's high on a lot of people's list of priorities when looking for a phone for good reason... It's important and super useful.

I don't doubt that a lot of people use their phablets without problems.... With two hands. Typing with one hand is not the same as using your phone with one hand. Heck, I couldn't even delete an icon off my home screen with one hand on my HTC which is "only" 4.7 inches.

It's a trade off some people are willing to make while some people like me find the benefits of an additional .7" of screen real estate is outweighed by the increased difficulty of one handed operation, bigger footprint and increased weight.

Yep, I was shocked to hear its not a 4 and 4.7 or 4 and 5 screen but a 4.7 and 5.5.

Us that have been ranting for a bigger screen did so as we wanted a bigger screen, but we alspo oknow the many who want a true one handed phone. Plus that I believe the iPhone 4.7 will be huge compared to others, I am concerned

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

I don't know... Your iPad Air would still be almost 4x the size. If you use productivity apps on your iPad, it's going to be like night and day... whether you're using it for spreadsheets, word processing, music creation or drawing. Even browsing the web will be a significantly better experience on the iPad.

5.5" is too small to replace a tablet if you ask me unless all you do with a tablet is consume content. And if that's the case, then technically, even the current iPhone could replace your iPad.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
First World Problems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 778

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Seriously ugly but for screen size alone I will get it (my 4 is fading fast).

Was Ives on vacation when this was designed or is he simply so busy with watches and UI that he can't give it his full attention? Maybe the interns got a chance at design this time around?

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I'm not sure how to feel about this. Has anyone on here used a 5.5 inch phone? What do you think about it? Seems too big. But maybe using it makes you love it.

One thing I will say about smaller screens on phones that no one talks about is that they do preserve some privacy, which in turn becomes a security feature. Phones are things you use in public all the time and carry sensitive information. When I see someone with a Samsung, I can read everything off their screen.
I had a OnePlus One for 10 days, I decided to sell it because it would hurt my hand. I loved the screen for the size, but it was ultimately too big for me. That phone was also pretty heavy though so that may have played a part. I'm 6' 1" and I have larger than average hands, it's just that I would constantly try to use the device one handed and that didn't work too well. Unless the 5.5" has better specs, and even then unless they're a lot better, I'm going for the 4.7".

gto55

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Tel Aviv
iPhone6 5.5"
  • sapphire protection
  • 2,048 by 1,536 resolution
  • 2Gb RAM
  • 2900mAh battery
  • A8+ SOC
  • 13MPX Camera with OIS

sparkle.gif

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Seriously ugly but for screen size alone I will get it (my 4 is fading fast).

Was Ives on vacation when this was designed or is he simply so busy with watches and UI that he can't give it his full attention? Maybe the interns got a chance at design this time around?

Ive

kimhak

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2014
the design is better but i hate the most is camera because it not flat older iPhone generation...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.