Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Thanks, iJohn. It is good to be back. So, I took a few days off and drove down to Moab. Here's a shot of some Indian oaintbrush and the rock structure known as the Organ which is part of the Courthouse Towers group just after sunrise. Unfortunately, the morning was pretty much cloudless so the sky was not as interesting.

courthousetowersar20130.jpg

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
The AB was supposed to be viewable in some of the northern US. Unfortunately, MT was not a prime site and right now we are clouded in with snow flurries. They are definitely on my photographic bucket list, but for now I will have to survive surreptitiously of off your photos. Keep them coming! I never tire of them.

I know a couple photographers who regularly go to shoot the lights, one in Anaconda and the other in Lolo. If you'd like I could put you in touch with them and maybe you could join them on a trip. shoot me a PM if you are interested.

----------

I've been missing around these parts for awhile, mostly because I hate using my computer these days. But I've still been shooting as much as always. Last week I was a friends place and had a wonderful opportunity to shoot Hummingbirds. This is one of the early test shots, I have a few others to finish editing and get uploaded.

_MG_3411-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Spoonman

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
California
painteddogs.jpg

African Painted/Wild Dogs having a scuffle at Monarto Zoo in South Australia. 1/750th sec, f/4, ISO 200, 75mm. Olympus OM-D E-M5, Olympus 75mm f/1.8.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
^^Nice job, fcortese! The flowers make a beautiful foreground. Is the outcropping of rock really leaning to the right at that location?

Thanks, Ms P.Input from you is highly valued. For that shot I had my tripod down low with the legs splayed out. I did use the in camera level at the initial set up and took several shots. It is possible there could have been a slight shift of the tripod in the loose sand. The fissure between the two walls does angle towards the right. I may need to tweak that shot and straighten. Below is a reflection shot of the entire Courthouse Towers taken from one of the reflecting pools that happened to be there thanks to an evening rain two nights before I got to Moab This was much more difficult to try to level. I ended up using my baseball cap under the camera. Time to invest in one of those bean bags or make one myself!

courthousetowersar20130.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Church of St. Francis of Assisi designed by the Slovenian architect Plečnik.

I really enjoy both photos.

I'm very partial to black and white...both still photography and films. I think so much can be done with light, shadow, tone, mood etc. with B&W..that really can't be done with color.

I'm not writing off color by any means, but B&W is my preference.

Congrats to both photographers...wonderful photos.:D

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
April 24th was the anniversary of the Armenian genocide. A local Armenian church which I pass on my way to work plants crosses in a field annually to commemorate the date. Each cross represents a certain number of Armenian deaths (estimated at between 1-1.5 million). I have no political horse in this race, but the event spawned the term "genocide."

I shot this in the past (and I think posted it). For the previous photo I used a fairly shallow depth-of-field with a 35mm lens to isolate the crosses from the background. Many of the crosses became a blur as a result. This year I decided to shoot it again, this time with a 24mm lens @ f/16 to bring everything in the photo into focus and highlight the sheer number of crosses present.

8689828387_3e06290d9e_c.jpg

I took a sitting shot of the field as well, though I don't like it as much artistically. Been going through them both in my mind though trying to decide which one is the better image.

8690987386_527134da0b.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Been going through them both in my mind though trying to decide which one is the better image.

8690987386_527134da0b.jpg

I have to take a deep breath every time I hear the word genocide. It's one of the strongest words in our language to me as it's so against what we as a species do on the whole. :(

I really like this perspective of the second picture, you get the incredible impression of how huge this installation is. The first one has that telephoto shrinkage of distance going on.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
I have to take a deep breath every time I hear the word genocide. It's one of the strongest words in our language to me as it's so against what we as a species do on the whole. :(

I really like this perspective of the second picture, you get the incredible impression of how huge this installation is. The first one has that telephoto shrinkage of distance going on.

I too hate the term genocide. It doesn't speak well for humanity as a species. I passed by this Armenian church for years without understanding why they put out the crosses. It was relatively recently that I learned the story behind it.

It's interesting that you stated a distaste for the "telephoto" compression effect on the first photo. It's actually the opposite--a wide angle effect. I usually shoot with a 35mm lens. For most of the subjects I find interesting it works best. I carry a 90mm in my bag, but don't use it often.

I've recently been playing with a 24mm lens. For this subject I used it in two different ways as shown in the two different images. In the first, I got up close and personal, though not so close that it resulted in obvious distortion. For the the second image I used it in a somewhat more traditional way by trying to capture "the bigger picture."

I like the former picture where I was prone on my belly and making minor changes in camera position which resulted in fairly radical changes in the photo. I *worked* for this image that is relatively free of distortion (well, the lens did the free-of-distortion part; I just kept moving my body a little right, a little left, a little up, a little down trying to get the compositional elements all in alignment).

However, I think you are right in thinking the second photo is actually better. The more I think about it, the more I come to that conclusion. While it's a more traditional wide-angle which I put less effort into, it actually captures the spirit of what I was seeing and hoping to record. Good teaching moment for me. Ultimately it's always about the final image. I still like the image where I was on my belly, but it may not be the best one of the two. Still kind of conflicted though :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.