Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonor

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
London, UK

bonfanti_0893.jpg

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
I have been following this thread for a long time...this is my first post...
though my pics aren't anywhere near your pics...you people are amazing...i don't have a DSLR(but plan to buy one soon...you guys will need to help me in that!) ...took both of these pics with my 4 year old sony point&shoot camera :D i also just started playing with photoshop...any comments/criticism would be appreciated :)
4363961975_5c1a2bbe57.jpg
4364703376_32ebd9ae3b.jpg

grassland

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2009
Bay Roberts Nfld.

looking down the harbour with the united church lower down on the hill and the anglican on the top.

Attachments

• (366) July 28.JPG
    (366) July 28.JPG
    706.5 KB · Views: 73

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
I have been following this thread for a long time...this is my first post...
though my pics aren't anywhere near your pics...you people are amazing...i don't have a DSLR(but plan to buy one soon...you guys will need to help me in that!) ...took both of these pics with my 4 year old sony point&shoot camera :D i also just started playing with photoshop...any comments/criticism would be appreciated :)
4363961975_5c1a2bbe57.jpg
4364703376_32ebd9ae3b.jpg

they're good, they both look great, especially for an old point and shoot! also, i like the just leaving the red of the stop sign in the photo, looks good :) The only bit of criticism i would have is the placement of the stop sign. Whilst yes, it in the center, and you are drawn to it, you are also drawn to it because it is the only colour. This leaves alot of empty space around the object, making it more somewhat boring for the viewer. Using the rule of thirds (if you know what that is) i would've placed the sign to either side (left or right) then showing the viewer more detail of the landscape :)

Remember, this isn't bashing, this is helping :D Is this a location you could perhaps reshoot? It'd be great to see it again as suggested!

Mario.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
4349367031_0023edc119_b.jpg

While helping my friend out with his 16mm film project he snapped this picture of me with his Nikon D60 and this 85mm F 1.4 Zeiss Lens his friend has. Or should I say his friend leaves lying around the dorm along with his 35mm f2, 50 F 1.4 and 28 f2 LOL.

The original shot was a bit too punchy for my taste so I did a slight curve adjustment in photoshop. I've noticed Zeiss glass is really contrasty compared to Canon L series glass. Nikon lenses have similar contrast attributes but seem a bit warmer than Zeiss and not always as sharp.
Hey man, i was just playing with aperture and photoshop while i was bored and thought i would edit your picture, tell me what you think. I made a few changes to the face, Nose, and lighting
Im a real amateur at this kinda stuff but i was a little bored ..

Attachments

• 4349367031_0023edc119_b (1).jpg
    4349367031_0023edc119_b (1).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 260

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Hey man, i was just playing with aperture and photoshop while i was bored and thought i would edit your picture, tell me what you think. I made a few changes to the face, Nose, and lighting

Just...wow.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Yeah seriously, what's with making his nose smaller? It looks like you blurred it on the right side, and you made the whole picture lighter?

Why did you do that?

Mario.

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Ohh jees, I had no intention to make it 'better' i was just messing around with some tools, and the nose bit was just to sell what effect a tool can do, im just an amateur, just got a little bored?
Sorry if i 'upset' anyone :(
Sorrrryyy :(

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
they're good, they both look great, especially for an old point and shoot! also, i like the just leaving the red of the stop sign in the photo, looks good :) The only bit of criticism i would have is the placement of the stop sign. Whilst yes, it in the center, and you are drawn to it, you are also drawn to it because it is the only colour. This leaves alot of empty space around the object, making it more somewhat boring for the viewer. Using the rule of thirds (if you know what that is) i would've placed the sign to either side (left or right) then showing the viewer more detail of the landscape :)

Remember, this isn't bashing, this is helping :D Is this a location you could perhaps reshoot? It'd be great to see it again as suggested!

Thanks a lot...i know you are not bashing...i appreciate your time and effort to help me :)

I know about the placement. We were driving and we got lost and took a wrong turn so we stopped for a moment and i just took the pic...came home and edited it :D
But thanks for the advice...I'll definitely try to do that next time. Yeah i can go there again...It's just an hour's drive from my home. This place is called Patagonia Lake and it's in Arizona...near the mexico border...very beautiful place..I'll post more pics of this place.
Cheers and thanks once again :)

TheSVD

macrumors 6502a
Thanks a lot...i know you are not bashing...i appreciate your time and effort to help me :)

I know about the placement. We were driving and we got lost and took a wrong turn so we stopped for a moment and i just took the pic...came home and edited it :D
But thanks for the advice...I'll definitely try to do that next time. Yeah i can go there again...It's just an hour's drive from my home. This place is called Patagonia Lake and it's in Arizona...near the mexico border...very beautiful place..I'll post more pics of this place.
Cheers and thanks once again :)

good :) ah thats okay, i stopped to look, scrolled past, but notice you wanted criticism so i was like, why not :D
ah that sounds cool! yeah i would definitely go there again, seems like a beautiful photo location. Who knows, maybe even get yourself a DSLR ;) but yeah thats okay buddy!

IMO, Too much pp. See the glow on the top left of the roof? Thats usually a good indicator to tone it down some.

Todays (my first attempt shooting our skate session):

Clickable....

thats really good, i like that! especially a first attempt! i really want to get some skating stuff done one day! great pic though :D

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

OMG DUDE YOU GAVE ME THE LATE 90s-010' MICHAEL JACKSON NOSE! You made the image very cool too, too cool.

I mean the Zeiss glass was contrasty but it didn't need your kind of reworking lmao.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast

Epic FAIL...

Seems like you should get permission from someone if you want to butcher their photo, especially if it's of them. It also makes one wonder what you felt needed "fixing" and why? And it looks really bad, so just wondering why you felt the need to post it here? :confused:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Ohh jees, I had no intention to make it 'better' i was just messing around with some tools, and the nose bit was just to sell what effect a tool can do, im just an amateur, just got a little bored?
Sorry if i 'upset' anyone :(
Sorrrryyy :(

OK, so others have reprimanded you, and you have expressed contrition. That would usually be enough to encourage me to let it go. I've actually been stewing about your post all day, trying to hold myself back from being really frank and posting something that I've never posted online before. Alas, I really just have to say that if it never even occurred to you that your attempt at digital plastic surgery might be offensive, then you are some kind of moron. There, I said it.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Note to casual viewers of this thread: This is a really bad place to do anything questionable. Folks here take their photography seriously. I don't need to say anything else. Shouldn't have needed to say as much, to be honest.

Dale

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I posted this in the last thing you purchased thread - but this is the photo of the day for me. First shot with a light tent - just need to learn how to get the position of the lights right to get more natural skin tones and less black and more definition. Taken with a Canon S90.

IMG_0003.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.