Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
WhenceItCame.jpg

heron88

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
So, this is a long exposure taken at daytime correct? Heavy ND and something like f18?

Exif says 1 second at f/11. Assuming this is near San Fran (looks like the Marin coastline), the 5:30 p.m. time is pretty close to sundown.

Also, without exif you could still surmise a shorter exposure time because the sea would be flattened out otherwise. ;)

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
★ PERHAPS CARDIFF ISN'T THAT UGLY AFTER ALL ★

6798478229_5133005aab_b.jpg

View on black

With the right angles, editing, etc. perhaps Cardiff can be kinda cool after all? I love the way these buildings have come out!

Shot with Kodak Portra 400 film on my Nikon F801s. This film is really nice with a stunning vintage grain! Love it!

sleepypanda

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2009
Tokyo
Someone I know produced a similar B&W of this view, and I wondered why he didn't opt for a color version. As your photo shows, the PoFA is really lovely during the blue hour. Nice one.

Arigato! Interesting. The first thing I did was try it out in B&W. I kind of liked it that way. The thing I don't like about the shot is it looks distorted. I have to go back and redo it. I can't seem to get the perspective right.

----------

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
So, this is a long exposure taken at daytime correct? Heavy ND and something like f18?

Exif says 1 second at f/11. Assuming this is near San Fran (looks like the Marin coastline), the 5:30 p.m. time is pretty close to sundown.

Also, without exif you could still surmise a shorter exposure time because the sea would be flattened out otherwise. ;)

heron88 explained it for the most part, but the time in the EXIF is wrong. I forgot to change the time on my camera, so it was off by nine hours when I took that shot...oops! (Thanks for mentioning it; I've just fixed it in the camera!) It's actually a morning scene, not long after sunrise.

To answer your question, Schtumple, I got the longer exposure by using a CPL and a graduated ND (over the sky). As heron88 pointed out, it was shot at a time of day when the light was quite low to begin with, so I didn't need any really dark ND filter to get to a 1-second exposure.

Oh, also, it's not north of SF but south of it, in Pacific Grove. That's Asilomar State Beach. :)

Arigato! Interesting. The first thing I did was try it out in B&W. I kind of liked it that way. The thing I don't like about the shot is it looks distorted. I have to go back and redo it. I can't seem to get the perspective right.

The perspective doesn't bother me at all. The distortion of the reflection helps to make the actual architecture look 'correct' by comparison, at least it does to my eye. But if you do go back, I hope you'll share the resulting shots here as well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.