Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
9555-XL.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Mine for today..

PHD_2320%20-%20Version%202-L.jpg

Peter, they are the most incredible ice formations. Is this during a thaw? I see what looks like running water just behind. It looks quite surreal to a hot dry climate dweller. ;)

----------

Robert, that is just sublime.

----------

I took this one over a year ago, but I don't believe I've posted it before...

FiatLux.jpg

Phrasikleia, I have to know whether that is naturally occurring with the grass stopping like that, or whether it was assisted by yourself in PP? Really beautiful regardless.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, I have to know whether that is naturally occurring with the grass stopping like that, or whether it was assisted by yourself in PP? Really beautiful regardless.

Thanks, ijohn. I'm not sure what you're asking..."the grass stopping"? The only changes I made are minor tonal and color balance tweaks. I'm curious to know what you see that looks unreal, though!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Thanks, ijohn. I'm not sure what you're asking..."the grass stopping"? The only changes I made are minor tonal and color balance tweaks. I'm curious to know what you see that looks unreal, though!

Phrasikleia, I didn't mean to offend you at all. I haven't seen an area where there is an abrupt stop like the orange soil area on the right. Well, that I can recall anyway. :eek: I suppose it's how abrupt the change is there that confused me, the way the grass stops perfectly along the fence line as well. I only ever see that where folks spray grass killer, which I wouldn't expect in that environment!

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Inverness Lake, this weekend

Having a bizarre January thaw here. +8C. Ice fishing at a "camp". Fell on slick ice and was attacked by my tripod. Mostly overcast. Caught this glimpse of the stars between the clouds. Wasn't worth the pain.

bjm1678.jpg

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, I didn't mean to offend you at all. I haven't seen an area where there is an abrupt stop like the orange soil area on the right. Well, that I can recall anyway. :eek: I suppose it's how abrupt the change is there that confused me, the way the grass stops perfectly along the fence line as well. I only ever see that where folks spray grass killer, which I wouldn't expect in that environment!

No offense taken, don't worry! I'm genuinely curious to know what you're talking about. I still don't follow you, though. The orange area is not soil, and the grass does not stop anywhere. The only difference is that a beam of sun is hitting the area around the church, making some of the grass look orange. Most of the grass is actually a pale yellow color, with the exception of a few patches of green near the top of the hill, where the ground is less steep and retained more moisture.

Doylem 1 - John 0 ;)

Can't argue with that. ;)

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
No offense taken, don't worry! I'm genuinely curious to know what you're talking about. I still don't follow you, though. The orange area is not soil, and the grass does not stop anywhere. The only difference is that a beam of sun is hitting the area around the church, making some of the grass look orange. Most of the grass is actually a pale yellow color, with the exception of a few patches of green near the top of the hill, where the ground is less steep and retained more moisture.

It makes sense to me now, sorry to have made you give such a detailed explanation for me!

I saw the section of light illuminating the church and its premises, but then got transfixed on why there appeared to be such change at its border, not just accepting that it was light only! The dowser in me sprung to life and scenarios of interesting Earth Energy intersections and vortices sprung to mind... :eek:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Peter, they are the most incredible ice formations. Is this during a thaw? I see what looks like running water just behind. It looks quite surreal to a hot dry climate dweller. ;)

Hi John, this shot was taken a couple weeks ago at the base of a waterfall. The mist from the heavy and constant flow of water creates a blanket of ice on everything near by.

Funny...it's hard for me to imagine that you are dealing with scorching heat. What a great and interesting world. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
8 pt buck. Little too much bokeh for what i wanted, but there were 2 bucks and they weren't being very nice at standing still in the open so I had to adjust on the fly when he stepped out and was on the wrong setting (my fault)! :)

A few deer hanging out there so I'll back.

Attachments

• 2013-01-10_4.jpg
    2013-01-10_4.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 102

avro707

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
QF21 Sydney to Tokyo - takeoff from Sydney

1/8sec, F2.8, 185mm, ISO1250 - Nikon D800e + 70-200mm F/2.8 VRII.

Hand-held shot - quite staggering how sharp it turned out, even the original size image was very crisp - and very little noise too.

I took this one over a year ago, but I don't believe I've posted it before...

This is a lovely shot.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Not normally my thing

This is not normally my thing.

These statues were on a recent trip to Thailand. Wanted to capture them but not sure on the results - close in capture is not normally my thing.

Hand held shots with a Fuji x100.

Any comments gratefully received.

Attachments

• Statue_HDR_2.jpg
    Statue_HDR_2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • Statue_tonal_contrast.jpg
    Statue_tonal_contrast.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.