Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Very nice!

My first attempts with the 10-stop ND filter.

Comments & Critique?

[url=http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3685/11675579664_db36fd87f3_b.jpg]Image[/url]
IMG_2546.jpg by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Whilst others have mentioned composition (which I in part agree with) I think it’s the contrast of the image that is something that can be improved.

I don’t know how much PP you like to do but the photo comes across as very grey to me. This may be a realistic representation of the scene as you saw it but it doesn’t seem to have many blacks and whites.

If you use LR a great technique for pushing the tonal range is to hold ALT as you drag the blacks/white or shadows/highlights. When you start to see black or white colours coming in this is showing you were the image is turning pure white or black and therefore you are starting to lose detail.

It differs from image to image but I tend to clip/crush and then pull it back slightly so I know there is nothing 100% white/black in my pictures unless it’s a stylistic choice.

Here is another one from last week!

As always, comments appreciated!

Kath by acearchie, on Flickr

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another one from the other day up Clent hills.

I would have preferred this tree in isolation to the one just off to the right, but that wasn't a possibility. Still I like the overall composition. Comments always welcome.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Here is another one from last week!

As always, comments appreciated!

Kath by acearchie, on Flickr

I've usually heard you don't want head on lighting because of the obvious shadow you see behind the subject. However, for some reason I like this shot and the previous one with it. It rims the subject completely in the shadow and makes it stand out with an interesting effect. Looks like it was fun for people to do these pictures.

rchip

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
I had a little birthday party on Sunday and decided to set up a very basic Photo Booth that could be operated by anyone who wanted.

I didn’t have any expectations with it and didn’t have to ‘tend to it’ at all during the night so it was really nice to have some mementos from the occasion without the stress and responsibility that goes with having to cover an event!

Not really much critique that can be given but comments are always appreciated!

[url=http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2855/11671464374_625641aaef_z.jpg]Image[/url]

Great photos, but also what an amazing idea! I do have a feeling if I attempted this idea, i'd end up with a smashed camera quite quickly but still, something I'd love to try myself one day!

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
A day late but happy New Year!

New%20Years%202014-12-XL.jpg

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
Whilst others have mentioned composition (which I in part agree with) I think it’s the contrast of the image that is something that can be improved.

I don’t know how much PP you like to do but the photo comes across as very grey to me. This may be a realistic representation of the scene as you saw it but it doesn’t seem to have many blacks and whites.

If you use LR a great technique for pushing the tonal range is to hold ALT as you drag the blacks/white or shadows/highlights. When you start to see black or white colours coming in this is showing you were the image is turning pure white or black and therefore you are starting to lose detail.

It differs from image to image but I tend to clip/crush and then pull it back slightly so I know there is nothing 100% white/black in my pictures unless it’s a stylistic choice.

I'll have to try that. I can't say that I knew this trick.

I certainly get your point about the lack of contrast range. And that certainly could be improved in these shots.
As I mentioned, this was my first go with a 10-stop ND. A bit of a learning curve. I discovered that my exposure was way too dark (you kinda have to guesstimate your exposure with a 10-stop ND, apparently), and ended up bringing the exposure up by about +4 (which is way more than I typically would be comfortable doing in LR) to even make this usable.
The B/W conversion was mainly done because the ND filter adds a very strong pink color cast that I was not able to correct all that well.
All this to say, the B/W shot was PPed in less than ideal circumstances. But that's how I learn.

As a point of reference, this is what the scene looked like without the ND filter. A "standard" sunset with decent contrast and lighting.

IMG_2530.jpg by Puckman2012, on Flickr

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I've usually heard you don't want head on lighting because of the obvious shadow you see behind the subject. However, for some reason I like this shot and the previous one with it. It rims the subject completely in the shadow and makes it stand out with an interesting effect. Looks like it was fun for people to do these pictures.

Like many rules, it can be broken and exploited if you know why you're breaking it. It has been successfully broken before. See, for example, Warhol's polaroids; more recently a similar effect (head on lighting with a white backdrop very close behind the subject) is being revived by a few celebrity photographers. Kind of reminds me of Warhol's work whenever I see it, but done well it looks like a tasteful homage ;).

Lake Placid for today. Tempted to go check it out in the winter, I hear it's a nice place for some downhill action :)

Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Happy new year everyone. The first shots I've taken this year due to our rubbish weather here in the UK. The sun finally reared it's head today.

11711728824_6db53eef88_b.jpg

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
What's the rangefinder lens mod?

LOL, your wall of guitars looks a lot like mine, btw.

It's a mod I created initially for curiosity, but it turned into a full project called 1960d Los Angeles back when I had a 60d.

It uses the lens of a Ilford Sportsman Prontor 125. I highly recommend anyone with some patience try it out for themselves!

Haha, yes my wall of guitars is a bit overkill, but each one serves a sound and purpose when needed.

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
It's a mod I created initially for curiosity, but it turned into a full project called 1960d Los Angeles back when I had a 60d.

It uses the lens of a Ilford Sportsman Prontor 125. I highly recommend anyone with some patience try it out for themselves!

Haha, yes my wall of guitars is a bit overkill, but each one serves a sound and purpose when needed.

Interesting. What does the mod do exactly? I mean. What's the purpose?

I'm down to 4 guitars and one amp. Used to be more overkill 2 years ago. Haha.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Interesting. What does the mod do exactly? I mean. What's the purpose?

I'm down to 4 guitars and one amp. Used to be more overkill 2 years ago. Haha.

It has this nice fuzzy/soft film feel to it that I try to emulate occasionally in my processing of regular shots, but it comes naturally with that lens.

The DOF, whilst nothing special, is different to any other lens I own, it's hard to explain really without seeing it in action.

It can be left on infinity focus (which comes after about 3-4ft) so it's great for snapshots, which is what the 1960d LA project was filled with.

Also it only sticks out from the camera by about 15mm, so it makes even the bulky 6d great for tight/fast paced situations, I mainly use it for travelling or things that would require snapshots to be honest.

I'm sure there are a few people that would say I'm dumb for sticking such a crappy lens on such a powerful camera, but it's nice as a side project, it's nothing serious.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
As a point of reference, this is what the scene looked like without the ND filter. A "standard" sunset with decent contrast and lighting.

IMG_2530.jpg by Puckman2012, on Flickr

That's the sort of detail I was imagining being present, when I mentioned opening up the shadows. The beauty of this game is it's digital and you can create virtual copies to your hearts content in Lightroom to play with and learn what works for you!

----------

I'm sure there are a few people that would say I'm dumb for sticking such a crappy lens on such a powerful camera, but it's nice as a side project, it's nothing serious.

I would definitely not be one of those folks! I have a pinhole Helga attachment I am experimenting with currently and it's actually pretty cool.

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
That's the sort of detail I was imagining being present, when I mentioned opening up the shadows. The beauty of this game is it's digital and you can create virtual copies to your hearts content in Lightroom to play with and learn what works for you!

----------

I would definitely not be one of those folks! I have a pinhole Helga attachment I am experimenting with currently and it's actually pretty cool.

Yeah. Note this one was shot the regular way (ie, no ND filter), so the detail is great (and has been slightly enhanced in PP), but no way to get the soft wispy water I was going for when I tried the ND. I think maybe I could invest in a 3 stop ND for something in between the 2 shots. 10 stops seemed a bit excessive in this situation.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Yeah. Note this one was shot the regular way (ie, no ND filter), so the detail is great (and has been slightly enhanced in PP), but no way to get the soft wispy water I was going for when I tried the ND. I think maybe I could invest in a 3 stop ND for something in between the 2 shots. 10 stops seemed a bit excessive in this situation.

I have a variable ND filter that I also use and as long as it's not taken past about 7 or 8 stops, it has no colour cast. The thing with a 10 stopper is that you can keep it going and actually have it look the same as your capture without the ND filter. It's a lot of trial and error to get it right. I have an app on my iPhone that is supposed to work out the time for me. I need to double the result and then add a generous amount once I am over 8 stops of filtration to even get close! ;)

If you have access to editing with layers, that's a cheats way of getting what you are after! Take the blurred water and sky and composite it with the rocks from the normal exposure. Different folks have different thoughts about that sort of thing, don't let that sway you from experimenting, I say. Ducking for the barrage about to come.... :eek:

----------

From my first paid publication of a photo:

Modern Luxury Houston January 2014 Issue by dharrisphotog, on Flickr

Congrat's, it is a heck of a capture!

----------

Rangefinder Lens Mod for DSLR - Self Portrait

Canon EOS 6D
1/80
ƒ2.8
45mm Ilford Prontor 125
ISO25600

Love the softness of this Schtumple! I am playing with VSCO filters to achieve this sort of look in Lightroom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.