Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Lovely sunrise

Grabbed this beautiful sunrise out my daughters bedroom window this morning.

Attachments

• sunrisejan-1.jpg
    sunrisejan-1.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 132

pushiesrealgood

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
I have been a long time reader of this forum, I just decided to sign up today.

I want to get back into photography, so one of my goals this year is to take at least one picture a day. I might be posting here quite a bit this year.

I decided to play with light a little bit.
I don't own a light setup, not even an external flash.
I shot this in shutter priority, with a 5" exposure time. I used the flashlight app on my phone to light the oranges from a couple of different angles.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I was hoping to get out today to take some photos before I to return to work after a fortnight off but my dodgy back has started playing up so I've been confined to the house today, enveloped by the sweet embrace of prescription painkillers. I put my Tourbillon on to cheer me up and took a quick snap.

15571254584_b00b169a17_b.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have been a long time reader of this forum, I just decided to sign up today.

I want to get back into photography, so one of my goals this year is to take at least one picture a day. I might be posting here quite a bit this year.

I decided to play with light a little bit.
I don't own a light setup, not even an external flash.
I shot this in shutter priority, with a 5" exposure time. I used the flashlight app on my phone to light the oranges from a couple of different angles.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/95civicex/DSC_2053copy_zps9ff447ba.jpg]Image[/URL]

Welcome to the forum. Good to have another photographer on board.

----------

I was hoping to get out today to take some photos before I to return to work after a fortnight off but my dodgy back has started playing up so I've been confined to the house today, enveloped by the sweet embrace of prescription painkillers. I put my Tourbillon on to cheer me up and took a quick snap.

Hope your back heals up. I have a slipped disk in my neck that sometimes prevents me from getting out. Especially from carrying all that glass!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

15571254584_b00b169a17_b.jpg

I hope you get well soon. Can't wait to see more gloomy subway stations!

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Nice effect. Can you describe how you created that image?

Sure - So first thing to understand is the setup.

This was taken at the Christmas lights display at our local botanical gardens. There were a couple of poles wrapped in purple/blue lights and a staircase w/ white lighting. Here's a pretty basic shot of it:

Now to the settings and the "how": ISO 100, ƒ/16.0, 18-55 mm lens zoomed in and out during exposure, 6 seconds exposure

So, I had my wife stand between the posts in a way that the white/yellow lights on the stairs weren't directly behind her face. I placed a speedlight on the ground angled up at her. The speedlight was a on wireless trigger NOT on the hotshoe of the camera, so I had to fire it manually (yes, I could have made sure that the flash did a "front curtain", but I didn't feel like messing w/ it, this was easier for me at the time).

I click shutter (with remote, camera on tripod), I click the flash remote and fire the flash, my wife darts out of the frame, I twist the zoom on my 18-55 out and back to go to warp speed. :)

And now my photo for today:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sure - So first thing to understand is the setup.

This was taken at the Christmas lights display at our local botanical gardens. There were a couple of poles wrapped in purple/blue lights and a staircase w/ white lighting. Here's a pretty basic shot of it:
[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7495/16010451828_c4aabe35a2_m.jpg]Image[/url]

Now to the settings and the "how": ISO 100, ƒ/16.0, 18-55 mm lens zoomed in and out during exposure, 6 seconds exposure

So, I had my wife stand between the posts in a way that the white/yellow lights on the stairs weren't directly behind her face. I placed a speedlight on the ground angled up at her. The speedlight was a on wireless trigger NOT on the hotshoe of the camera, so I had to fire it manually (yes, I could have made sure that the flash did a "front curtain", but I didn't feel like messing w/ it, this was easier for me at the time).

I click shutter (with remote, camera on tripod), I click the flash remote and fire the flash, my wife darts out of the frame, I twist the zoom on my 18-55 out and back to go to warp speed. :)

And now my photo for today:
[url=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8621/16167597212_1dcf4845fa_c.jpg]Image[/url]

Thanks for the insight. Nice creative idea.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Photo of the Day January 2015

Hope your back heals up. I have a slipped disk in my neck that sometimes prevents me from getting out. Especially from carrying all that glass!

Cheers fella. Same area for me. I had a back car accident a few years back and it flares up every now and then and leaves me in excruciating pain and unable to do pretty much anything. Hopefully it will have sorted itself out in a day or two.

I hope you get well soon. Can't wait to see more gloomy subway stations!

Cheers mate. I see some gloomy tube shots in my future this week ;)

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Cheers fella. Same area for me. I had a back car accident a few years back and it flares up every now and then and leaves me in excruciating pain and unable to do pretty much anything. Hopefully it will have sorted itself out in a day or two.

Cheers mate. I see some gloomy tube ***** in my future this week ;)

I see a chiropractor every month which helps. Not cheap though.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Nice grab of the tourbillon. Beautiful complication on a movement. My second all time fav complication after a minute repeater.

I hope you feel better soon mate. That sounds awful.

K

----------

This picture immediately brought the movie Prince of Thieves to mind. Specifically the scenes where Costner and Freeman were walking across the countryside.

I like the leading line of the wall to the tree. Also like the contrasty B&W look.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Nice grab of the tourbillon. Beautiful complication on a movement. My second all time fav complication after a minute repeater.

I hope you feel better soon mate. That sounds awful.

Cheers dude. I'm like you with the Tourby movement - awesome engineering.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I realise that I haven't participated much recently, but I have been reading the photography section almost daily and I can see the progress of a lot of people. There are some great shots in many of the threads!

OK, mine for the day is our fast recovery craft steaming it back from our chase vessel with a few personnel. I found a rope-hole (if that's the politically correct term) to make a nice framing device.

FRC and chase vessel by alex.stedman, on Flickr

Alex

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
New and old tech.

Camera SONY SLT-A77V
ISO 100
Focal Length 26mm (39mm in 35mm)
Aperture f/2.8
Exposure Time 0.0062s (1/160)
Name DSC06067 copy.jpg
Size 3686 x 5529
Date Modified 2015-01-03 14:27:16

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If you enlarge it, there is a Robin in that tree. My 70-200 was on my second body. I tried to take his picture, but had left the battery from the D300 at home charging! What a muppet! He didn't hang around long enough for a change of lens.

_DSC8262 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
It's already 2015 and I still haven't had the time to wrap up my previous trip's photos. This one is from São Miguel island, pretty much straight from camera. I have a raw version of the shot as well, but my processing skills are so non-existent, I could not get anything better out of it than the JPEG the Nikon D7000 produced. Will post it into that raw thread (if I find it) for someone to take a crack at it.

Edit: the photo here is the old version as originally posted, but the link goes to an updated copy re-processed from a raw file.

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's already 2015 and I still haven't had the time to wrap up my previous trip's photos. This one is from São Miguel island, pretty much straight from camera. I have a raw version of the shot as well, but my processing skills are so non-existent, I could not get anything better out of it than the JPEG the Nikon D7000 produced. Will post it into that raw thread (if I find it) for someone to take a crack at it.

[url=https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8656/15578887124_15ded5abef_c.jpg]Image[/url]

You mean this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1772969/ ?

Did you use a lens hood in the shot? Shooting direct into the sun is tricky. If it was sunset, I guess waiting a bit might have helped?

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
You mean this one https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1772969/ ?

Did you use a lens hood in the shot? Shooting direct into the sun is tricky. If it was sunset, I guess waiting a bit might have helped?

Thank you! I've been struggling to find that thread, so will post there soon.

There was no lens hood, though at this angle, doubt it would make a difference. The sun certainly is tricky. I did stick around long after it set, but from all the shots in that series, this one spoke to me the most. Kind of captured the spirit of that place and time the best, in my subjective opinion. You'll have to take my word for it :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.