Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
if you are using a browser on your phone, you can rotate your phone to landscape, then click on the photo (or go to the person’s media gallery if it’s not clickable). then click on the little arrows on the right side (>>) then click the down arrow next to metadata and it will show you what has been embedded (some people strip the metadata).

i find this doesn’t work with images posted via tapatalk, however.

View attachment 2332797

I use tapatalk as it’s ad free, I like its layout / organization also.
Occasionally I do use a browser , on my MacBook Pro when posting R5 photos

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I use tapatalk as it’s ad free, I like its layout / organization also.
Occasionally I do use a browser , on my MacBook Pro when posting R5 photos
Well the point is that a browser does contain that info, so typing it out is not only redundant but also a waste of time for the poster. And if a photographer has stripped the exif, they must have done so for good reason (or possibly don't know how to export or use an odd photo editor).

I actually don't find a lot of merit in the base exif info that is requested other than perhaps camera body and focal length. Two people could stand at the same spot with the same gear and make very different exposures and neither would be wrong. They are just different creatively. Some might disagree with that, but with modern cameras and modern editing programs you can make nearly all camera brands look extremely similar in post.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Well the point is that a browser does contain that info, so typing it out is not only redundant but also a waste of time for the poster. And if a photographer has stripped the exif, they must have done so for good reason (or possibly don't know how to export or use an odd photo editor).

I actually don't find a lot of merit in the base exif info that is requested other than perhaps camera body and focal length. Two people could stand at the same spot with the same gear and make very different exposures and neither would be wrong. They are just different creatively. Some might disagree with that, but with modern cameras and modern editing programs you can make nearly all camera brands look extremely similar in post.

After shooting 35mm film from the early 1980’s on my Pentax SLR till now and various digital bodies / lens .. I’ve settled on Aperture priority for depth of field, shutter priority for sports / speed related, and manual for well, when needed.
So yea; relative same exposure can be done multitude of ways, and with todays expanded ISO it’s opened up lots of creative choices.
So, simply, EXIF is not as helpful as say 7-8 years ago…
Anyways kinda off topic this thread, except possibly for the February POD thread no need that in the rules section.
>>whos the decider / admin for this sub forum?

_timo_redux_

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2022
New York City
AC7A037B-F53C-4540-9021-EA7C0BB65E17.jpeg

feeding time

I usually post exif data; but maybe it isn’t of interest.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
After shooting 35mm film from the early 1980’s on my Pentax SLR till now and various digital bodies / lens .. I’ve settled on Aperture priority for depth of field, shutter priority for sports / speed related, and manual for well, when needed.
So yea; relative same exposure can be done multitude of ways, and with todays expanded ISO it’s opened up lots of creative choices.
So, simply, EXIF is not as helpful as say 7-8 years ago…
Anyways kinda off topic this thread, except possibly for the February POD thread no need that in the rules section.
>>whos the decider / admin for this sub forum?

not sure the final arbiter of the rules but here is a discussion thread for it.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Just 1 more of these snow crystals, these were captured Wednesday January 3rd 2024 towards the end our 5k snow shoeing trek my family did on Lone Mountain Ranch trails, I posted that tree yesterday from it.

Honestly I’m failing as a photographer here, as the pictures don’t capture the uniqueness and scope of them, how they sparkled and shinned in the late afternoon sunlight.

7443d68b191c266289838712086fbfaa.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.