Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
Tugboat-Galene-039-XL.jpg

Galene

The last one in the series, for now.

The whole series has been very nice. Good compositions and colors. That last one is tops among them in my mind .

----------

Very nice. Great pose, great light on the Cardinal, and you've managed to free him from distracting tree branches, and I know first hand that this is not always easy to acheive.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
The whole series has been very nice. Good compositions and colors. That last one is tops among them in my mind .

Thanks, I had a lot of fun shooting the boat and had only planned to be there for about 2 hours, but actually spent about 3-1/2 hours shooting. The owner was very pleased with the results and I'm really looking forward to getting access to the interior and the races.

-----

Now starts the pictures from my vacation a couple weeks ago...

IMG_9318.jpg

Wagon Wheel

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
How do I determine which cameras have the best image quality? I have a Kodak that is 10 MP but it my photos look rubbish compared to most of these. (granted I've only just started with photography)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332026269.202843.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332026269.202843.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 71

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
How do I determine which cameras have the best image quality? I have a Kodak that is 10 MP but it my photos look rubbish compared to most of these. (granted I've only just started with photography)

Some of the contributors here are professional photographers. Others are advanced amateurs. Yet others are somewhere between between beginner and expert. Tastes vary a lot too.

The equipment used varies too. From iPhones to high end DSLRs. Learn to take advantage of the equipment you have and you'll likely find you can get some very nice results. Understand the technical side of what ISO, aperture, and shutter speed do and how they affect you results. The artistic side is much more difficult.

It's an interesting thread that can be helpful, but there is nothing like challenging your self. If you see a picture you like, try reproducing the result with what you have.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
It's an interesting thread that can be helpful, but there is nothing like challenging your self. If you see a picture you like, try reproducing the result with what you have.

+1 excellent advice. Then try combining the best elements of different pictures you like.

Fast lane, slow lane, fast lane...

imgp00831.jpg

Last edited:

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I haven't had time lately to spend in this thread, but I sure miss it! Amazing photos by all... as usual.

I'm biased, of course, but I sure like this series! :D I wish I had your tenacity and patience to get out and capture this kind of shot... the days where this is possible at this time of year, are few and far between!

Doylem, most of your pictures in this thread are not showing up for me (Imageshack errors except for the most recent one). Is this unique to me? I ask only because I don't want to miss any! ;)

BTW, here's one to share... (Gastown, Vancouver)

p751842983-4.jpg

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Doylem, most of your pictures in this thread are not showing up for me (Imageshack errors except for the most recent one). Is this unique to me? I ask only because I don't want to miss any! ;)

It might be something to do with the 500 image limit on the free account, I've noticed things have been behaving differently for me recently.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

“Which cameras have the best image quality?” It’s a well-known fact: the more $$$ you pay, the better your pictures will be. It’s not about light, or seeing, or practice, or spending years honing the craft of photography. 12MP should see you right.

“I've only just started with photography”: or this could be the problem... ;)

ImageShack are now capping the number of pix you can upload: any more than 500 and you need a premium account. So I deleted a load. Of course, if I'd thought about it for more than two seconds, I should have deleted the oldest shots first. Ah well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.