Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
Attended my first F1 race yesterday in Abu Dhabi.
Here is a shot of Sebastian Vettel.

IMG_2956.jpg

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Trinity Bay, Newfoundland

PHD_6347-L.jpg

It's interesting how similar the buildings are to those in Scandinavian countries. It must be something to do with the desire for colour during times when the sunshine is in short supply! I would have expected all the buildings to have fairly steep roof pitches, but the red one, front right and one or two others have got surprisingly shallow pitches. Thanks for sharing!

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA

Nice one. I drove by there on Saturday night. I should have stopped by. Not sure exactly what that was all about until just now.

Methinks I'd like to see that solitary building/house/manor more up close. What/Where is that?

I'm always amazed at how colorful some architecture can be in certain locales, as opposed to the more "typical" grey/stone/brown or brick that I am used to seeing.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
The Tablelands, Gros Morne National Park. Yes, still Newfoundland. I think next one will be a break from cold and fog and into something sunny!

Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

----------

It's interesting how similar the buildings are to those in Scandinavian countries. It must be something to do with the desire for colour during times when the sunshine is in short supply! I would have expected all the buildings to have fairly steep roof pitches, but the red one, front right and one or two others have got surprisingly shallow pitches. Thanks for sharing!

I notice that it's often the seaside communities with a strong reliance on fishing that tend to be colourful in house painting. Check out the Caribbean - on most islands people paint their houses like their lives depend on it, but they have no lack of blue sunny skies. Another one is Burano island in Italy - famous for bright colours.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Halloween night

I set up a backdrop and brought my ring light out on Halloween so I could take pictures of people in costume. This is one of the shots from Halloween night. I have several more fun ones coming.

4.jpg

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF 50mm 1.2L USM
Focal Length 50mm
Shutter Speed 1/125 secs
Aperture f/6.3
ISO/Film 200

Puckman

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Yorba Linda, CA
I set up a backdrop and brought my ring light out on Halloween so I could take pictures of people in costume. This is one of the shots from Halloween night. I have several more fun ones coming.

Camera Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Canon EF 50mm 1.2L USM
Focal Length 50mm
Shutter Speed 1/125 secs
Aperture f/6.3
ISO/Film 200

Great capture. Love the way it pops at you.

IMG_6510 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
That's combining my two favorite hobbies. I'm a little bit jealous!

Shame it was such a one sided race. Good capture though. I bet the doughnuts would have made a great snap.

Thanks. It was tons of fun. I didn't expect the donuts, but I tried to capture any of it.
Here is the best I could do:
IMG_3113.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Nice bit of reflection symmetry going on. In the EXIF data it says the following about your lens.

Lens: 1-65535mm f/1.4 Shot at 50 mm

What sort of Lens is that or did the data get corrupted?

I have a 65.5 metre lens, I thought I'd go long with it and that it should be fast too! :p

Mike4AU

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Water Lily. Nikon D300 with Nikon 300mm AFS F4 with 1.7 TC. Shot on the artful side.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Attended my first F1 race yesterday in Abu Dhabi.
Here is a shot of Sebastian Vettel.

Great shot, shame it is Vettel! :p

I was chasing this Antonov AN124-100M-150 for a couple of days:

I expected it to depart on a Thursday night, and it went nowhere. Then I hoped like crazy it wouldn't leave on Friday during the day. It went at night, perfect timing for me to be there. Taking a bit of a risk photographing it with 1/4sec shutter speed, F/5.6 and ISO3200 at 160mm hand-held. I'm happy with the result.

It was actually very dark at the time and the plane had hardly any lighting apart from the most basic lighting.

BarryJ

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Bug

PHD_6347-L.jpg

Trinity, Trinity Bay.... once home to master wooden boat builders. The "Village Inn's" proprietor there used to offer tours on his yacht. Off shore, he was known to toss an underwater speaker overboard. He'd sit back and play his accordion to "bring in" the whales !

Your photos have certainly inspired me to look at these places with new eyes. I can hardly with to go home !

The Tablelands, Gros Morne National Park. Yes, still Newfoundland. <snip>

Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

----------

I notice that it's often the seaside communities with a strong reliance on fishing that tend to be colourful in house painting. Check out the Caribbean - on most islands people paint their houses like their lives depend on it, but they have no lack of blue sunny skies. Another one is Burano island in Italy - famous for bright colours.

I agree. I figure Newfoundlanders use all those colours to add some levity to a gloomy winter sky... plus I'm betting all those colours help inshore fishers spot landmarks on the shoreline! If you travel to Newfoundland, you also notice a lot of churches are placed on high ground - again to assist in near shore navigation. A lot of those steeples were noted on marine charts.

The tablelands. This is such a nice photo. The brook takes us through the frame and leaves you wondering what's over the hill.

Mine for today... a bug I spotted on a daisy this past summer. Not quite as impressive as those posted by Alexander.Of.Oz though. I have ZERO idea as to what kind of bug it is.

lc7k.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Mine for today... a bug I spotted on a daisy this past summer. Not quite as impressive as those posted by Alexander.Of.Oz though. I have ZERO idea as to what kind of bug it is.

lc7k.jpg

Whatever he or she is, it's spectacular to look at large! :cool:

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

Thanks Ish and you're welcome.

I'm always amazed at how colorful some architecture can be in certain locales, as opposed to the more "typical" grey/stone/brown or brick that I am used to seeing.

Trinity, Trinity Bay.... once home to master wooden boat builders. The "Village Inn's" proprietor there used to offer tours on his yacht. Off shore, he was known to toss an underwater speaker overboard. He'd sit back and play his accordion to "bring in" the whales !

Your photos have certainly inspired me to look at these places with new eyes. I can hardly with to go home!

I agree. I figure Newfoundlanders use all those colours to add some levity to a gloomy winter sky... plus I'm betting all those colours help inshore fishers spot landmarks on the shoreline! If you travel to Newfoundland, you also notice a lot of churches are placed on high ground - again to assist in near shore navigation. A lot of those steeples were noted on marine charts.

Thanks Barry.

"I figure Newfoundlanders use all those colours to add some levity to a gloomy winter sky." I think this sums it up quite nicely.

I have no doubt that life on "The Rock" can be harsh at times but Newfoundlanders seem to face the challenge with a positive attitude. That attitude can be found in the vibrant colours of their homes, their welcoming nature and a wicked sense of humour.

Hope you get home soon Barry.

The Tablelands, Gros Morne National Park. Yes, still Newfoundland. I think next one will be a break from cold and fog and into something sunny!

Great shot themumu. We didn't get to the Tablelands so it's nice to see it here.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Thanks. It was tons of fun. I didn't expect the donuts, but I tried to capture any of it.
Here is the best I could do:

Nice. Although from a personal point of view, I would rather have seen Vettels car surrounded by smoke during the race.
There's an F1 thread over in the community section of this forum. I'm sure they would appretiate any other F1 pictures you took.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
One last one before the leaves of brown come tumbling down ...

stepsc812.jpg

50D , 15-85@24 , f8@1/20 , ISO 100

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.