Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Haymakers, Evening, Eragny
Because no one else has yet, I've got to ask because the suspense is killing me...is this a photo that you've taken of a painting or print? What gives?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 167

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Two things

1) What kind of lizard is that? I want one! (and if I can't have one for personal ownership, I work at a zoo and maybe our zoo can get one).

2) I have a neat trick for shooting animals behind glass - I've made a fabric lens hood out of black canvas that has suction cups on the corners. You just stick the cups on the glass, poke your lens through the hole in the middle and BAM! no glare/reflections to worry about as you shoot whatever's on the other side.

1) I, unfortunately, do not know this reptile. Usually I take a photo of the info placard, then the animal/art, but this occasion I was pressed for time and neglected the placards. I was visiting my mom in Omaha and we only had a couple hours at the zoo on my last day of my vacation. Lesson learnt, never neglect the minute details!

2) wow, that's awesome. I'll need to figure out how to properly build one. The Henry Doorly Zoo have a nice aquarium, and I had to trash all of my jellyfish photos bc of glare caused by the cylindrical jellyfish enclosures... Thanks for the tip. Now I see how you got that beautiful shot for the weekly contest!

----------

Because no one else has yet, I've got to ask because the suspense is killing me...is this a photo that you've taken of a painting or print? What gives?
This is taken of the original painting displayed at the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha, NE

Another angle of this painting can be seen in the weekly contest thread.

I'll post my "daily" in a few minutes of the close up of the textured layering

Last edited:

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2012
Haymakers, Evening, Eragyn texture. I hope my lens/focal length did this painting due justice in exhibiting its beauty and style.

Attachments

• DSC_1876 copy.jpg
    DSC_1876 copy.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 155

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
2) I have a neat trick for shooting animals behind glass - I've made a fabric lens hood out of black canvas that has suction cups on the corners. You just stick the cups on the glass, poke your lens through the hole in the middle and BAM! no glare/reflections to worry about as you shoot whatever's on the other side.

^^ sounds neat but what does that give you over and above just putting the lens hood flat against the glass?

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Playing with the texture of a deep navy blue coloured fine corduroy jacket of mine under the kitchen LED lighting. Handheld, hence the slightly soft focus and the high ISO at 12,800. I should have just brought out the speedlite/flash, but then I would have had to wait for the batteries to charge. Maybe I'll have another play again tomorrow and charge the batteries tonight.

_MG_9368-XL.jpg

Canon 6D, Tamron 90mm macro
ISO 12,800 - 1/30 - f/8

----------

^^ sounds neat but what does that give you over and above just putting the lens hood flat against the glass?

If it was large & wide enough, it would allow you to move your camera to whatever angle you want.

Last edited:

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Never thought about that :) Always gone the easy route! (my pic on page 1 was shot though glass)

You can even buy them...http://philipbloom.net/2011/12/01/lenskirt/

ParkinPig and Alexander.of.Oz nailed it on the head. The ability to move the angle of the shot is invaluable when shooting animals through glass, they have a tendency not to stay still. Most of the clouded leopard and red panda photos that I've put up here in the past were shot that way.

You can buy them, or you can make one for $10 - I prefer the DIY method that saves me money.

Here's a How To from petapixel on how to make your own (this is basically what I did)

http://petapixel.com/2013/04/08/fle...hooting-reflection-less-photos-through-glass/

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
sunset antithesis

After some fantastic sunsets recently (from TheReef and AquaDock particularly) here is the opposite. Comments welcomed as usual. Processed from raw in Capture One (my personal choice of Aperture alternative).

Attachments

• IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 123

StephenF

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Under Those Patio Lanterns

Attachments

• DSC_7108b.jpg
    DSC_7108b.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 116

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK

Nice. I was reading about the expose to the right method the other night. Got my steps all lined up for post. Had a quick bash thw other night, bit cloudy so waiting for a clear night and hopefully i can grab something as good as this!

Raysofhope

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
image.jpg

I liked the result of this shot, made with the iPhone 4s and had some edition with snapped, hope you like it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.