Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjay33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
I'm a hobbyist photographer using Apple photos and iCloud. With my photos and video over the year, I'm now over the 4 TB limit max on iCloud storage and looking to see what your workflow is? I have a 1TB SSD external HD and a Synology NAS with my MacBook Pro. I would love to find something that I can store on my NAS and then view the photos on Apple TV but outside of Plex, I haven't been very lucky in finding options. What do you do if you have a large collection of photos and videos? Appreciate any perspective.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hi, the eternal question - how best to avoid write once, view never. lol...

My basic setup as a hobbyist too is quite simple.

1. I have an Adobe CC subscription - Photo plan with the 1TB storage option.
2. My main editing machine is a M1 Mac Mini
3. My main archival storage solution is a pair of Synology NAS devices and a weekly Amazon Glacier backup of them both
4. For on the go edits I was using my iPad and a Macbook Pro

When I am out shooting near home, I siimply come home, load the memory card and import into my mac mini connected to the NAS's - this is my gold master if you like

When I go shooting when travelling further afield, I import onto ipad or macbook pro using Adobe LR and PS, and let Adobe sync it to the Adobe cloud.

I then cull the crap shots (lots and lots and lots of) then edit the one or two that survive the cull on those devices where I want to use them before I get home.

When I get home I fire up Lightroom Classic, let it sync the images from adobe cloud onto my mini, then I create library folders, move the images into their final resting place, then remove them from the sync folder and let it clean up the cloud - and subsequently the ipad and macbook pro libraries.

I only use Lightroom, not Lightroom classic on the macbook pro so that I don't have to faff about with the catalogue on multiple machines challenge. LR is enough for me when out and about and allows me to use NIK plugins.

For viewing, I share the photos folder on the NAS and then our smart TV can display them - I don't need apple TV as our TV can see the images anyway. Images that I want to "publish to the TV" I export to the photo folder on the NAS.

Note I do not have any need for making the images public across the internet - for that I use Flickr. Also, I am 99.9% still images. Movies are not my thing.

I hope this makes some sense.

Reactions: harshar

bigjay33

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
THANK YOU KENOH! This is so helpful and much appreciated. Appreciate all the details and I’m leaning towards Lightroom as well. Interesting about the Amazon Glacier back up. Never thought of that before. Again, many thanks!

Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
THANK YOU KENOH! This is so helpful and much appreciated. Appreciate all the details and I’m leaning towards Lightroom as well. Interesting about the Amazon Glacier back up. Never thought of that before. Again, many thanks!
I am glad it helped.

On the Adobe CC I used to only use the 20GB storage plan and I was fine but I am finding that having more space is better for me - maybe I am just getting lazy.

Amazon Glacier is a great thing, I set them to backup to Glacier on a sunday morning and every few months I log in to the NAS and make sure the time hasn't drifted too far - this is the most common reason why Glacier stops working. I know I should set it to a better time server but it doesnt annoy me enough to actually look into it and do it you know?

tlnargi

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2019
I am glad it helped.

On the Adobe CC I used to only use the 20GB storage plan and I was fine but I am finding that having more space is better for me - maybe I am just getting lazy.

Amazon Glacier is a great thing, I set them to backup to Glacier on a sunday morning and every few months I log in to the NAS and make sure the time hasn't drifted too far - this is the most common reason why Glacier stops working. I know I should set it to a better time server but it doesnt annoy me enough to actually look into it and do it you know?

What does Glacier cost?

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I'm a hobbyist photographer using Apple photos and iCloud. With my photos and video over the year, I'm now over the 4 TB limit max on iCloud storage and looking to see what your workflow is? I have a 1TB SSD external HD and a Synology NAS with my MacBook Pro. I would love to find something that I can store on my NAS and then view the photos on Apple TV but outside of Plex, I haven't been very lucky in finding options. What do you do if you have a large collection of photos and videos? Appreciate any perspective.
What did you decide on in the end?

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.