Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BCains

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Hi All,

I'm looking for some good general photography books, i've done a search but couldn't find much.
So i thought i'd start a new thread and maybe it can be sticked for future references for others.

Please do add if you know any others. :)

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Hi All,

I'm looking for some good general photography books, i've done a search but couldn't find much.
So i thought i'd start a new thread and maybe it can be sticked for future references for others.

I'm going to second this book. This book is excellent. It's easy to read, he shows a ton of example photos, but also tells you what camera settings he used. I couldn't reccomend this book more (I originally opened this thread to reccomend it). Just make sure you get the 2nd edition.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi All,

I'm looking for some good general photography books,....

I don't know if this is "general" or not but in this book Adams describes the creative process of 40 photographs from why he decided to set up the camera to how he decided to alter an manipulate the final print in the darkroom.
"Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs" by Ansel Adams

Three of this other books are still relevant "The Camera", "The Negative" and "The Print" (some times sold as a set of three volumes) while we don't care much about how to select the specific type of developer we still do care about his advise exposure ,composition printing and display. The art has not changed in 50 years only the tools.

His books were intended for beginners but things have changed are are now best read by more advanced amateurs

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
^^^
Agreed, the Ansel Adams books are great.

I got a copy of this a few years ago, its ok, but not great.
Detailed, but lots on film, so if you are starting digital, it is not the best.
0452284252.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

mromero

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2005
Los Angeles
Hi All,

Light: Science and Magic, Third Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting (Paperback)
by Fil Hunter (Author), Steven Biver (Author), Paul Fuqua (Author)

Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers (Paperback)
by Christopher Grey (Author)

Matters of Light & Depth (Paperback)
by Ross Lowell (Author)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.