Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevi

macrumors member
Original poster
Pretty much my problem is in the thread title - except I meant to add folder. If for example I want to choose a photo from my Photos Library, say for my avatar, I cannot as the folder is greyed out. I have no idea what triggered the change as it wasn't always like this. Any ideas what I can do to fix his? I have already tried restarting but that made no difference.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts and help,
Stevi

Stevi

macrumors member
Original poster
Well for the curious and those who experience the same problem the fix is simple and easy to do:

Go to Preferences in Photo and a box pops up headed General.

In the first option under Library Location there are two options 1 - Show in Finder 2- Use as System Photo Library. If the second option is chosen then finder will not find the photos in Photos it will be greyed out as above. Selecting the first option - Show in Finder completely solves the problem.

It took 4 Geniuses at the Apple Store to know what was going on so I don't feel bad not knowing myself.

dmille30

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
Well for the curious and those who experience the same problem the fix is simple and easy to do:

Go to Preferences in Photo and a box pops up headed General.

In the first option under Library Location there are two options 1 - Show in Finder 2- Use as System Photo Library. If the second option is chosen then finder will not find the photos in Photos it will be greyed out as above. Selecting the first option - Show in Finder completely solves the problem.

It took 4 Geniuses at the Apple Store to know what was going on so I don't feel bad not knowing myself.

I have tried both 1 - Show in Finder 2- Use as System Photo Library and restarting my Mac each time and my photos folder is still greyed out when I navigate to it in iTunes. Any other suggestions?

malm123

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2017
what the heck are you guys talking about

why would "show in finder" fix this problem.. either you, chatters, are missing something or I am.

I have the same problem as OP. There is only one library in my photos folder, it is also my system library. Itunes will NOT let me select it to sync photos. very annoying. I am on mojave and this has worked before. I have recently updated the phone to ios 16 though I think this problem predates that.

other searches online have suggested that in other versions of osx or photos some people might get the option to "view photos library as system folder" but I dont seem to have that option.... super annoying how apple changes little things like this between versions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.