Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midahed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2020
I'm trying to import a large number of photos from a USB stick into my iPad Air 4th generation running the latest IOS (14.2). The photos on the USB are from a wide range of dates, so I need to be able to easily identify them once they've been imported, before moving them into various albums.

The problem I'm seeing is that there is no "Imported" or "Last Imported" classification on the Photos app, and the Files app doesn't allow me the alternative of importing all these photos into a dedicated album. Instead, my only Files app option is to use "save" which just results in all the pictures being added to the Library in the Photos app.

This makes the management of newly imported photos very difficult, unless they all happen to have been created later than the last of the existing library entries.

I've seen plenty of posts where users are reporting the loss, since IOS 14, of the "import" option in the Photos app. Many of these posts then describe how to access the "Devices" on the Photos sidebar, but I don't even see a "Devices" section in Photos - despite my USB being recognised, and successfully read, by the Files app.

I tried copying the content of the USB stick into iCloud, and then using Files to import into Photos from there, but I'm still stymied by Photos lack of "Last Imported" combined with Files only being able to dump all the imported photos into the Library, rather than being able to also identify them in some other way.

I've tried all sorts of tortuous methods to get this to work such that my newly imported photos appear in some sort of separate classification, but none of them work.

Any suggestions for fixes or workarounds ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.