Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Watch for LR6 on Tuesday. It supposedly adds faces support.

That's what the rumours are saying. Now, if only there was a Places plugin, we would be all set.

By Places functionality, I mean displaying location data on a full-sized map (including hybrid streets/satellite view with location pin-drop or whatever, quick batch editing, setting, and correction of GPS and other, map-based location information into EXIF, and, quick and easy display of location during a slide show.

Why? Because I was just giving a slide show a couple of days ago and people unfamiliar with the locations in a particular country wanted to know the layout of where things were for some particular picture locations. As I keep saying, this is very basic photography, not super-professional stuff. It is very basic for people to want to see on a map where particular photos were taken.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I use LR5 so I already have map support. As for faces, when had Aperture I hated that! I shoot landscapes and wildlife. The last thing I want is software to spend any CPU cycles looking for and trying to sort human faces. I will definitely disable any of that in LR6. Dealing with face sorting is only slightly less painful that shooting a wedding. ;)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
That's what the rumours are saying. Now, if only there was a Places plugin, we would be all set.

By Places functionality, I mean displaying location data on a full-sized map (including hybrid streets/satellite view with location pin-drop or whatever, quick batch editing, setting, and correction of GPS and other, map-based location information into EXIF, and, quick and easy display of location during a slide show.

Why? Because I was just giving a slide show a couple of days ago and people unfamiliar with the locations in a particular country wanted to know the layout of where things were for some particular picture locations. As I keep saying, this is very basic photography, not super-professional stuff. It is very basic for people to want to see on a map where particular photos were taken.

Lr 5 already does geolocation. Have you tried a demo? It does all you cite, with the possible exception of slideshow map animation iPhoto has (BTW if you know of a slideshow app with interactive map features that would be great). Lr can also geotag from GPS data, copying from other photos, from maps (it can use sat or street), and manual entry. And it will reverse geocode.

That being said, the maps it uses aren't my favs. I like to use HoudahGeo cuz it can use a map source that shows more trails, which can make geolocation of offroad sites easier. It also can use gps4cam, which is magical. And Graphic Converter has a bunch of geolocation tools and scripts.

And if you want even more geocoding chops (showing location in UTM, in Google Earth, in Panoramio, coding, etc etc) try Jeffrey Friedl's geocoding plugin. I particularly like the proximity search feature.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Lr 5 already does geolocation. Have you tried a demo? It does all you cite, with the possible exception of slideshow map animation iPhoto has (BTW if you know of a slideshow app with interactive map features that would be great). Lr can also geotag from GPS data, copying from other photos, from maps (it can use sat or street), and manual entry. And it will reverse geocode.

Thanks. My mistake. I thought it still required hand/text editing. It looks like LR is it now. I am about to buy a new system so I will no doubt get LR6 with it.

kylekai

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2009

There are some 3rd party apps at the Mac App Store that can do mostly what you want. Photo GeoLocation is one.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Photos may someday be more or less equal to iPhoto. But equal to Aperture? That will never happen. Apple is focused on IOS marketplace where snapshots, not serious photography, rule.

It handles RAW files from my Nikon much better than iPhoto did, but it's no LR. There is hope for it, but I'll wait a year before I judge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.