Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
I upgraded from an X to Xs and I had ios12 GM on the X....did the restore from back up on the XS and my pics still wont restore. The back up screen keeps saying will restore...but after a while its now just showing ready for next back up...but still no pictures. Anyone else see this?

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I upgraded from an X to Xs and I had ios12 GM on the X....did the restore from back up on the XS and my pics still wont restore. The back up screen keeps saying will restore...but after a while its now just showing ready for next back up...but still no pictures. Anyone else see this?

Same issue. Go to the photo app and there should be a small button that says resume for 1 hr. I clicked it and as you can see my items are starting to download

Attachments

• 56E3C9CC-32F1-4FA8-915A-40FAB1349546.png
    56E3C9CC-32F1-4FA8-915A-40FAB1349546.png
    487.9 KB · Views: 179

Chevyguy2021

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
wheres the button?

It's hard to explain. I simply took a photo and then open the photo application. I saw an option in the middle of the screen that said "please resume restore" or something like that. Something about battery saving please click to resume for one hour...

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
It's hard to explain. I simply took a photo and then open the photo application. I saw an option in the middle of the screen that said "please resume restore" or something like that. Something about battery saving please click to resume for one hour...

Ouch it didnt happen for me.

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
When setting up a new phone or doing a restore, the phone should be plugged in and connected to WiFi. You’ll have much better results this way.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I have the exact opposite problem. I take photos on my new phone. But not all seem to be coming up on my camera roll.

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
I’m wondering do you think I should reset and try to restore all over again or just let it try overnight? I don’t want to lose that backup

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
Is the phone plugged in and connected to WiFi?

Yes I did. And The randomness thing happened yesterday before I even got the new iPhone. A bunch of photos I deleted weeks/months ago just started showing up again in my library. When I was talking to apple support, they had me check iCloud library...they were there....I’ve NEVER used iCloud library.
[doublepost=1537588998][/doublepost]Random*

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010
Yes I did. And The randomness thing happened yesterday before I even got the new iPhone. A bunch of photos I deleted weeks/months ago just started showing up again in my library. When I was talking to apple support, they had me check iCloud library...they were there....I’ve NEVER used iCloud library.
[doublepost=1537588998][/doublepost]Random*

What I would do at this point since you only have 489 photos, is airdrop them from your old phone to your new phone and then make sure your new phone has iCloud Photos enabled. Using iCloud Photos is the easiest way to have your photos transfer over to your new phone or to get them back if you have to restore the phone you’re using. With that said, before doing that, I would just leave it plugged in overnight and connected to WiFi and if there’s no change in the morning, do the above.

ShinyApps

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2016
East Coast
What I would do at this point since you only have 489 photos, is airdrop them from your old phone to your new phone and then make sure your new phone has iCloud Photos enabled. Using iCloud Photos is the easiest way to have your photos transfer over to your new phone or to get them back if you have to restore the phone you’re using. With that said, before doing that, I would just leave it plugged in overnight and connected to WiFi and if there’s no change in the morning, do the above.

Funny, i think i found the issue......

Problem: In Ios 12 GM, the option to back up your photo library, specifically under icloud backup (not Icloud library or backing up photos in icloud)....did not always show up. I don't know HOW this happened if its supposed to be the same build as ios12 public release but it did.

Solution: So I went to the icloud library and toggled actual icloud library (not the option above under icloud backup) on and off....all of a sudden the "icloud backup photo library" showed up again......now when i redid another back up....its taking a full 10min to back up on the old device. It never took this long before. Now I am going to reset the XS and restore from backup again.....hopefully this works.

I know it sounds confusing.

Moral of the story: This is why I still dont trust betas....even the GM screwed me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.