Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

M.I.C. gadget points to a pair of posts from Chinese forum WeiPhone.com showing portions of what is claimed to be the logic board and graphic hardware from the next-generation 15-inch MacBook Pro set to be introduced tomorrow.

2012_mbp_logic_650m.jpg

New MacBook Pro logic board with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (left) and current MacBook Pro logic board (right)
The images show an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics chip and 1 GB of GDDR5 graphics memory, which many have expected would make an appearance in the new MacBook Pro. Interestingly, the posters have also compared the leaked photos with the logic board of the current MacBook Pro, finding the layouts to be nearly identical all the way down to the screw holes on the board.

2012_mbp_logic_ddr.jpg

New MacBook Pro logic board with 1 GB GDDR5 graphic memory (left) and current MacBook Pro logic board (right)
One of the reports also claims that the new 15-inch MacBook Pro will arrive with 2.3 GHz and 2.5 GHz chip options on stock models, with a 2.7 GHz chip available as a high-end custom configuration. The exact chips to be offered are not detailed by the poster, but some attempts at matching up to Intel's Ivy Bridge offerings can be made.

At the 2.3 GHz level, Apple would have its choice of the Core i7-3610QM or Core i7-3615QM. For a 2.5 GHz chip, the only appropriate Ivy Bridge processor currently available is a dual-core Core i5-3210M, which would actually be the low-end chip. And at the high end, Apple would apparently be offering the Core i7-3820QM as had been seen in benchmarks that appeared last month.

Apple has been widely rumored to be introducing a redesign MacBook Pro with a Retina display and a thinner profile. But if the leaked photos are genuine they may indicate that no redesign of the body is forthcoming, as Apple would be expected to make significant changes to the logic board to accommodate rearranged internals in a thinner enclosure.

An alternative explanation relates to claims put forth late last week by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who indicated that a thinner, Retina-capable Mac notebook would appear as a third member of the MacBook family with Apple continuing to offer the existing MacBook Pro alongside the new model for the time being. In that case, these leaked photos could represent the updated version of the current MacBook Pro with the new notebook still remaining under wraps.

Article Link: Photos of Claimed New 15-Inch MacBook Pro Logic Board Show NVIDIA GT 650M, Retained Layout

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
"Apple has been widely rumored to be introducing a redesign MacBook Pro with a Retina display and a thinner profile. But if the leaked photos are genuine they may indicate that no redesign of the body is forthcoming, as Apple would be expected to make significant changes to the logic board to accommodate rearranged internals in a thinner enclosure. "

No no no! Don't let it be true!

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
That pretty much puts all the rumors of a macbook pro redesign to rest. Looks like the optical drive will continue to be used.

Glad I didn't do anything with my 15" Sandybridge MacBook Pro, I had plans of selling and upgrading but now theres even less incentive to do so.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
By where the screw holes are, they're not doing a redesign of a MacBook Pro.
Yet.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Why couldn't the current Unibody MacBook Pro with this logic board have a Retina Display?

If this is real, I certainly hope this is simply an updated Logic Board for the current MacBook Pros with the addition of Retina Display.

If there is a New MacBook logic board, then this isn't it, and we still may see a thinner Unibody MacBook with a Retina display also.

Last edited:

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I have a hard time seeing how a Retina Macbook would fit in the current product line. If it's true, I don't see why someone would purchase a non retina macbook

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Three lines of laptops seems really odd (though I suppose it could be a temporary transition... an omelet that requires breaking eggs).

If the MacBook Pros keep the same basic design (as suggested here) then maybe all the NEW machines will be branded as Airs.

in other words, maybe instead of “thin Pros” we’ll get “fat Airs”? The Airs will be as slim as ever on the low end, but new higher-end Airs will have Pro-level power (retina too) while the old Pros (maybe keeping the DVD even) get a spec boost to serve during the rest of this transition.

And then later (6-12 months?) these new Pros get discontinued, and only the high-end Airs remain: same full power, not as thin as the low-end Airs, but still very thin and no DVD. Probably no more 17” if they truly don’t sell. (At which time, I can see “Air" being dropped from the name, and they might all just be “MacBooks”.)

I’d bet that low-end (11-13”) Airs don’t get retina displays yet—but eventually they will.

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
It would be a logistical nightmare to keep the logic board exactly the same and redesign the computer to be significantly thinner, and let's not even mention a possible removal of the optical drive.

If this board be real, there's no redesign. That's it.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Not happening- why would the new MacBook have a better display than a Pro machine? Somethin's a brewin' for tomorrow, but not that...

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Why would Apple go back to using NVIDIA GPUs instead of sticking with AMD? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the next-gen GPU of either manufacturer?

----

*Full disclosure, I am currently holding a long position in AMD.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Honestly, I was expecting a redesign, but given that the aluminium unibody notebooks are simply excellent, I don't see why Apple would bring us a redesign.

But nonetheless, I expected the optical drive to magically disappear as if it never existed. Looks like the magic is set for next year.

1finite

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
This is gonna be the same kind of let down that the iPhone 4s was. All the hype for a big redesign, but it's actually just an incremental upgrade. So lame...

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
These "day before" leaks tend to be true, so I'm pretty upset right now. I wanted a redesign! Maybe I should consider an iMac and an air instead of a new MBP. :mad:

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
How can a company that prides itself on innovation take so long to change the design of a laptop. This would be huge disappointment. This was one of the expected announcements, although I knew the claims that everything would be updated were
fake. It's just not apples style. They like to draw things out.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Well thats unexpected but typical Apple. So much for all the hyped up rumours.

How does the GT650M compare to the 6750M/6770M?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.