Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
As it appears, this is not a retina display, unfortunately. I can literally see the pixels in the picture.

So I believe there are two possibilities:
1) The next-gen iPad won't have a higher resolution display and this info is correct
2) This is a second generation iPad and this debug software is fake

Interesting. :)

Lol, this is one hell of a joke if you meant it, but somehow I doubt it :D

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I don't see LTE anywhere in this at all but even though its not there I would imagine apple would test LTE on iPads first before moving it to the iPhone.And BGR has an amazing track record when it comes to rumors so we shall see in march I guess

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Having just picked up an iPad a few days ago and already using it for emails+word processing, I've never thought to myself "I wish this was faster". The whole thing is lightning fast. Quad core seems a little steep. Where would that power go?

And to pre-empt one reply - double resolution size. We don't have the battery power to fuel a 4x faster GPU for that yet. Can't imagine Apple drastically shortening battery life!

Oh iPad 2S, what will you contain?

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Having just picked up an iPad a few days ago and already using it for emails+word processing, I've never thought to myself "I wish this was faster". The whole thing is lightning fast. Quad core seems a little steep. Where would that power go?

And to pre-empt one reply - double resolution size. We don't have the battery power to fuel a 4x faster GPU for that yet. Can't imagine Apple drastically shortening battery life!

Ive always seen the 'S' moniker as part of an iPhone only designation the iPad seems to showcase and foreshadow future iPhone hardware A4/A5 etc

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009

I have an iPad 2 and I notice some lag sometimes. Like for example I'll click on settings and it will come up but take 2-3 seconds for all the text to show, sometimes.

Cheebo

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012

This ain't no iPad 2S. This is looking to be a quad-core retina display powerhouse iPad 3. :)

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
What will 64 bit offer that the iPad needs?

Think about photo editing apps on the iPad. Currently they are relatively basic. A 64-bit processor could do wonders for editing directly on the iPad rather than just having "companion" apps. Video editing, audio editing are other apps that could benefit from 64-bit.

Many of these apps have some UI benefits running on a tablet, and being able to run in 64 bits would make them truly magical. Granted, you don't want to trade off the portability of the iPad, so that's why we leave such engineering decisions to Apple who works on this stuff every day, but my point is we shouldn't go dismissing the notion of a 64-bit tablet platform as "too much" power. To do so would be a limitation of one's imagination.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London

Gaming, 3d rendering, photo editing, video editing, enhanced siri, inkwell. The list is endless.
Important to note they'll likely engineer it to power down cores as and when they're not required. :D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Think about photo editing apps on the iPad. Currently they are relatively basic. A 64-bit processor could do wonders for editing directly on the iPad rather than just having "companion" apps. Video editing, audio editing are other apps that could benefit from 64-bit.

Many of these apps have some UI benefits running on a tablet, and being able to run in 64 bits would make them truly magical. Granted, you don't want to trade off the portability of the iPad, so that's why we leave such engineering decisions to Apple who works on this stuff every day, but my point is we shouldn't go dismissing the notion of a 64-bit tablet platform as "too much" power. To do so would be a limitation of one's imagination.

You are talking too much power from capability. I'm talking too much power from actual power usage.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
You are talking too much power from capability. I'm talking too much power from actual power usage.

Eventually it will go 64bit but not until the battery performance gets up to par with apples standards.thats whats wonderful about tech it evolves over time and gets upgraded and gets better

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Ive always seen the 'S' moniker as part of an iPhone only designation the iPad seems to showcase and foreshadow future iPhone hardware A4/A5 etc

Not when it comes to RAM. iPad 256MB -> iPhone 4 512MB.

If this individual has access to a prototype, i wonder why he hasn't confirmed flash and ram capacity.

To me, if you're going quad core, with a retina display, it's time to put the big boy RAM chips in and go 1GByte.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Not really. The benefit from 64-bit is marginal for anything but highly complex projects (which the iPad is arguably not suitable for in the first place due to precision issues). Furthermore, it would result in a considerable increase of RAM requirements - because every single pointer now ends up requiring twice as much memory.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Not when it comes to RAM. iPad 256MB -> iPhone 4 512MB.

If this individual has access to a prototype, i wonder why he hasn't confirmed flash and ram capacity.

To me, if you're going quad core, with a retina display, it's time to put the big boy RAM chips in and go 1GByte.
Touche.i dont think this individual has anything why would you shows us the text edit that can be easily faked instead of the actual device.Boy Genius has an amzing track record when it comes to rumors...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gaming, 3d rendering, photo editing, video editing, enhanced siri, inkwell. The list is endless.
Important to note they'll likely engineer it to power down cores as and when they're not required. :D

My iPad seems to handle those really well already.

FWIW Siri doesn't need a fast processor. It's handled by Apple servers.

This ain't no iPad 2S. This is looking to be a quad-core retina display powerhouse iPad 3. :)

As I said, you think there's a good battery that'll run for 10 hours powering a 2048x1536 display? You think there's a battery that would last half that?

So ontop of a quad core processor it will also run a display res just slightly lower than a 27" iMac.

With available battery tech.

Okay!

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
What will 64 bit offer that the iPad needs?

Short answer: Nothing
Long answer: absolutely nothing

64 bit only just became widespread in the PC world and that's a market with much heaver applications, processing and memory requirements.

Anyone doing heavy photo editing on an iPad is using the wrong tool for the job.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I hope you do understand that "iBoot" is the name of the iOS bootrom, which is in charge allowing the device to boot and initialized all the peripherials and some hardware components. They didn't just make this up.

I think Dorje Sylas has a point here. They could've easily pasted the iBoot log of an older iPad model into any text editing program and modified the contents a bit. The images show what could be a portion of any program. Not refuting the claim or anything (it does seem to be not over-the-top and rational), just saying we should treat this with a healthy dose of skepticism.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
I'm having a hard time imagining Apple including LTE before the 6G iPhone.

If the iPad 3 does include a retina display and quad-core A6 chip, it's going to be quite feature-packed as it is - it's not like Apple to put so many new features all at once.

I can definitely see them holding off LTE and making it the main reason to upgrade to the iPad 4.

KoolKid

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Uppsala
Shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

It never gets old.

:apple:

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Why are there so many build strings blurred out? wtf?

Why doe s the kernel build have to be blurred out? I don't believe this at all. and the whole Darwin 11.0.0, ummmm, wouldn't they be using iOS 5.1 AKA Darwin 11.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.