Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scriptkitten

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
So a few months ago I consolidated a few different Photos libraries into 1 iCloud library. I have like a TB of space on iCloud.

The consolidation went well and was working as expected for about a month.

Suddenly as of 12/31/18, Photos on my Mac will not download any new items from iCloud.

I currently have 80698 photos in iCloud.com (and on my iDevices) and only 78114. The status message in Photos alternates between "Updated Just Now" and "Updating..." It never brings down a new photo from the cloud and has been at 78114 since December 31.

I have iCloud Photos "on" and "optimize mac storage" chosen in the preferences.

If I add a photo/video to my Mac Photos it DOES upload to iCloud and all my devices. It just won't download

I've read just about every article about this that I can find online and I cannot find a solution.

The suggestion to sign out/in to iCloud doesn't seem very reasonable because it asks if I want to download everything first or erase.... If I agree to any of that its going to take me probably a week to get signed back in. I have a lot of stuff.

My Photos Library is 280 GB

Anyone have any advice about how to convince my Mac to start downloading items again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.