Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Okay, I've heard a lot of talk speculating on when the universal Photoshop CS3 would be ready, but what about a universal edition of Photoshop Elements 5? Has any one heard anything about it. Be more of a hobbyist, I'm much more interested in this due to the steep price of CS.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Okay, I've heard a lot of talk speculating on when the universal Photoshop CS3 would be ready, but what about a universal edition of Photoshop Elements 5? Has any one heard anything about it. Be more of a hobbyist, I'm much more interested in this due to the steep price of CS.

I would have thought so...

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I to am awaiting PhotoShop Elements 5. I currently use version 3, I skipped version 4, because I thought I whould save some money and actually buy a program that can run natively on an Intel Mac.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Photoshop Elements is off cycle from Photoshop... version 4 was just released this last year, the next version of Photoshop is about to be released... so Elements 5 is going to be a while (end of 2007, beginning of 2008).

Adobe has made it very clear that they will not brake their product cycles just to release Universal versions of apps for Macs.

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Photoshop Elements is off cycle from Photoshop... version 4 was just released this last year, the next version of Photoshop is about to be released... so Elements 5 is going to be a while (end of 2007, beginning of 2008).

Adobe has made it very clear that they will not brake their product cycles just to release Universal versions of apps for Macs.

Well Elements 5 is already out for windows.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Brandon Sharitt said:
Well Elements 5 is already out for windows.
Odd... I didn't know we were talking about the Windows version. I thought this was posted under Mac Applications. I don't follow Windows applications so I don't know (and don't really care) about their product cycles, seeing as they have no value for me or my clients. If Adobe is doing something different for Windows it isn't like this is the first time.

:rolleyes:

Plus I'm not sure how the Windows version has any baring on Universal support as that is totally a Mac thing.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Odd... I didn't know we were talking about the Windows version. I thought this was posted under Mac Applications. I don't follow Windows applications so I don't know (and don't really care) about their product cycles, seeing as they have no value for me or my clients. If Adobe is doing something different for Windows it isn't like this is the first time.

:rolleyes:

Plus I'm not sure how the Windows version has any baring on Universal support as that is totally a Mac thing.

The OP is asking about the Universal Binary version of Photoshop Elements for Mac OS X. It just so happens that version 5 is already available for Windows.

The odd thing is that version 5 isn't following CS3 the way version 4 comes from the CS2 code and version 3 comes from the CS code for Photoshop.

I've not heard anything specific but the release of Photoshop Elements seems to take 5-12 months from the associated release of Photoshop from the Creative Suite. I expect CS3 by March but I'm wondering if Photoshop Elements version 4 has even sold enough to warrant a timely release for Mac OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.