Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
Hey all,

Was just woundering is Elements for mac actually any good i can't afford a copy of Photoshop and need something so bad to edit my photo's with post printing.

Also what is the lastesr version of Elements for mac.

Cheers
Rich

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
It's not the best, but you might want to GIMP. It's an open source program that aims to be like Photoshop. I personally find Photoshop Elements to be all I need and I am on a three year old version. I would try out GIMP because it is free then if it is not enough for you to look into other options.

P-Worm

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
It's not the best, but you might want to GIMP. It's an open source program that aims to be like Photoshop. I personally find Photoshop Elements to be all I need and I am on a three year old version. I would try out GIMP because it is free then if it is not enough for you to look into other options.

P-Worm

Unfortunatley GIMP isn't an option until leopard comes out for me, basically becuase i got my powermac second hand and it didn't come with the tiger install disk don't ask me why so i can't install X11 which is a tad annoying.

Rich

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
Elements 4 is the latest Mac version.

It works fine for most photo editing, and can integrate with apps like Aperture pretty well.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hey all,

Was just woundering is Elements for mac actually any good i can't afford a copy of Photoshop and need something so bad to edit my photo's with post printing.

Also what is the lastesr version of Elements for mac.

Cheers
Rich

Elements works well. The last version was 3. I think. Sells for about $90.
It is NOT native on Intel Macs. But mine's a G4 so I don't care.

One other to look at is "Gimp", It does everything Elements can do plus maybe more, runs native on Intel and is free see http://www.gimp.org

Hard to say whaich is best, Elements or Gimp. Depends on what you need.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
If you're going to buy elements, you should just buy a wacom tablet. Elements comes with it for free. So you get elements and a wacom for the same price as just elements.

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
If you're going to buy elements, you should just buy a wacom tablet. Elements comes with it for free. So you get elements and a wacom for the same price as just elements.

Which wacom comes with Elements?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Agree with Beige and Jim -- (1) it's brilliant software. It really does the majors, until you get to issues like color separation for production and so on. The only really relevant things to photographers that it does not have, AFAIK, are a color mixer (important, but there are pretty good alternatives) and the ability to use Photoshop actions (important if you're high volume, also rules out automator). (2) look for alternative purchase options such as getting a tablet, purchasing an OEM copy (legal, and when PSE3 was current, you could get one for $40 from some sites... have to google around), or using academic pricing if you're eligible.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I am beginning to wonder if this coming Adobe free online photo editor is replacing Elements (at least meaning that perhaps they aren't going to bother with a UB version).

I wonder what the financial model is for that site, or are they just trying to beat Google to it, keep their brand strong in this field, and figure out the money later?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Unfortunatley GIMP isn't an option until leopard comes out for me, basically becuase i got my powermac second hand and it didn't come with the tiger install disk don't ask me why so i can't install X11 which is a tad annoying.

Rich

X11 is freely available. You can get it from many places. What Apple did was mostly "packaging". Others have packaged it up too. You can even get the source code to build it yourself. But no need for that as the "fink" project has done that for zillions of packages already, one being "X11"

http://www.finkproject.org/
http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/xfree86

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Hi,

I obtained Elements 4 (Mac) because my Photoshop CS doesn't support RAW files for the Canon 30D.

If you just want it for photographic purposes it's extremely good, both in features and value for money. Plus the fact that it comes with Bridge - I never use CS now!

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I think i will get a Wacom and get elements free with it.

Thanks for the advice guys :D

lilrichie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2007
I went ahead and ordered Elements from amazon it should be here tommorrow :)

I got a book to go with it also so that should help out with any of the features i am un familliar with.

Thanks for all your advice.

Rich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.