Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I'm trying to create an action which automatically adds a 150pixel white border around my images, but because I also need to be able to create a text layer and align it to the bottom right of the image I am forced to try to achieve this a different way than normal.

It sounds simple, but because Photoshop doesn't seem to allow you to 'align' a layer to the edges of the image, I am forced to do this in ImageReady which does offer the facility (the reason I need to be able to align a layer is because I want to put my domain name at the bottom right corner of each image during the action, but because images can be different sizes it means I need to have a way to dynamically align the layer to the bottom right corner and ImageReady allows you to do this by aligning a layer to the Bottom and Right Edges).

To complicate matters, ImageReady doesn't allow you to select a fill colour when you enlarge the canvas which is something Photoshop has by default. The problem I'm having is that when I first enlarge the canvas by 150 pixels, sometimes I find that when I apply the paint bucket to fill in the 'border' with black, it spills into the actual image on some occasions. What I need is a way to isolate the 150 pixel border and apply the paint bucket so that there's not chance the actual image gets affected.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I'm sure there has to be an easy way to do what i'm trying to do!

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
It sounds like your best bet is to create two actions (one in PS for the border and one in IR for the text) and batch process a folder with one, then the other.

You could also have ImageReady create new layer behind your image, then set the canvas size, then fill the back layer with black, then flatten the image and add your text.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Awesome suggestions, I totally forgot about the possibility of creating and manipulating a second layer then flattening it. If that doesn't work, I've always got the possibility of creating 2 actions and creating droplets for them to simplify. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.