Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohyoshimi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hello All,

I've never posted here before, and I'm not sure if any of you can help, but I'm getting a rather frustrating error with Photoshop every since I installed Leopard. For the first few weeks, everything was running just fine, but then one day I got an error that said, "An unexpected and unrecoverable error has occured."

(screenshot: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/ohyoshimi/Picture10-1.png)

I researched a bit and the general consensus was to reinstall Photoshop. I removed the entire CS3 suite and reinstalled last night. I finished updating this morning and opened Photoshop to begin working. I worked for about an hour before I got that very same error message again. It seems like once I get the error, it happens more and more frequently until I can't do ANYTHING - not even open a file - without receiving this error and having Photoshop close on me.

At this point I am at a loss as to what to do. My school work depends on creative suite working correctly.

A few things that are probably pertinent information:
- Photoshop CS3, along with the entire suite, are legal copies. I bought them with a student license.
- Leopard is also a legal copy.

Thanks in advance

-Patti

sneamonitakis

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
exact same problem

I am having the exact same problem with Photoshop CS3 and Leopard as well. I recently installed Linotype Font Explorer and I am wondering if you run this as well. Literally 3 days after I installed Linotype this started happening. I am wondering if this has something to do with that.

P.S. - I know how you feel about your schoolwork. I am having that same issue. Extremely stressful.

taylorcjones

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I got the same error after I had upgraded to Leopard. That was about a month ago. I could not find a fix, and ended up being so frustrated that I downgraded to Tiger. I haven't had any problems since.

I don't think Leopard is fully compatible with CS3 applications, and even if it is partially compatible, I can't risk it because this is my full time job. Hopefully there will be an update in the near future that will allow CS3 to run properly on Leopard!! Let me know if you find anything!

Thanks!

Taylor

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know when you uninstall cs3 you need to do a clean uninstall.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb401056&sliceId=1

This also apply's to the full version. We had similiear issuses on a couple of the cs3 on windows machines. Did a quick search and it looks like it might apply to Mac's OS also.

We had to download a utility that was a two part uninstall/cleaner. Once we did the that, reinstalled and it worked fine.

sneamonitakis

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
after clean uninstall; still no luck

I tried doing a full uninstall. I even deleted folders that pertained to CS3 and I still am having no luck. This time a bit of a different error occurred. It now says that Photoshop quit unexpectedly. I am wondering if anyone has anymore advice.

I am starting to wonder if the recent OS X update might have something to do with this. I am aware that it was supposed to be fixing many problems with CS3, but perhaps this caused that issue?

Any thoughts?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
sneamonitakis

Down load the cleaner from adobe. There is a lot more files and folders that are hidden that need to be cleaned. We had very similiar issues on our machines.

The cleaner is for the beta but it works on the full versions also. We couldn't do a complete new install without getting errors until we found the cleaner.

Just a suggestion.

sneamonitakis

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I did actually use the cleaner, and ontop of that I went manually through all of the folders and got rid of any files that pertained to Adobe CS3. I think I might just need to reinstall Leopard.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I am having the exact same problem with Photoshop CS3 and Leopard as well. I recently installed Linotype Font Explorer and I am wondering if you run this as well. Literally 3 days after I installed Linotype this started happening. I am wondering if this has something to do with that.

P.S. - I know how you feel about your schoolwork. I am having that same issue. Extremely stressful.

Yes, there is an issue with Font Explorer on Leopard - it's not compatible with 10.5.2

peuT

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
unfortunately, theres loads of bugs in leopard, and loads of my friends have complained of a load of programs on CS3 not being too compatible with leopard, personally i downgraded to tiger, leopard was so dodgy at running a lot of programs, so i just got leopard, but if you dont fancy downgrading an OS, the only solution i know is to downgrade to CS2!

sneamonitakis

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I wish I could downgrade to Tiger but I can't because I just bought a new iMac and it came with Leopard preinstalled.

mellowfellowcow

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
haha

I have leopard and Photoshop CS3 and they run perfectly together for me.:D
(BTW i'm running a black macbook: 2.2GHz 160GB hardrive and 1GB RAM)

jonnyfido

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
Possible Fix? Worked for me...

I was searching for a fix to Photoshop CS3's crash message "Unexpected and unrecoverable problem...", looked on Adobe's website and went through their Troubleshooting Photoshop CS3 page. If you skip down the page to option 5, step 2 it says to "Rename the Users\[username]\Library\Preferences\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.psp folder to Adobe Photoshop CS3 Prefs.old." This didn't work for me. My folder had no files in it at all, so I tried trashing the entire folder "Users\[username]\Library\Preferences\Adobe Photoshop CS3 Settings" instead. This worked. A new folder was created in it's place with all the necessary preference files inside. Mind you, it didn't matter if I lost all my original prefs as I hadn't even used the program yet, so be aware all your original prefs will be deleted. Hope it works for anybody else who may have the same problem.

MacPro Quad Core 2x 3GHz 4GB RAM Mac OS X 10.5.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.