Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jd0513

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I got to grand central at 6:30 and they shut down the store. No more pre-order pickups for the night. They weren't letting anyone else in and told me to come back tomorrow. All the while scalpers were being let in as the apple rep told me this. Went there three times today. Now I'm annoyed.

njg0ddess

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Had a horrible time at Menlo Park NJ apple store . I knew it would be hard since it's my husband account and sprint does not use authorized users. I went in 2 days prior hoping to get things situated before Fridays launch was assured I would be able to get my phone as it was an upgrade of my line but not the case. I was in line at 8 am got into the store at 9:30 not to bad the sales associate got my phone and got hit with error multiple times contacted sprint they said it was apples issue contacted apple the said it was sprints . All in all I didn't leave until 12pm with my phone after returning my pre order and purchasing the phone as a walk in. I think in 2 years I will ship to home because this process was exhausting.

Ripcurlsurfin96

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Greenville/Raleigh, NC
Fuquay, NC

Went into to the Verizon Wireless store in Fuquay Varina, NC and bought my phone, activated, and walked out in under 1 hour. They had plenty of stock (didn't preorder!!)

Great experience and customer service!

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Update!

Warning, CSB ahead:

Called to ask how long the in store pre order line was. Girl on the phone said only a few people and it's going by fast. 15 minutes later I'm at the store and there's line wrapping around. Kinda annoyed but oh well :mad:. An hour in line (remember, this is in store pickup line), I finally get in.

The girl brings me the phone, I'm accepting and signing on her device, and bam ERROR. She leaves for about 10 minutes and comes back on the phone with AT&T. She was having a hell of a time with AT&T call center rep and it wasn't going anywhere. At one point, the AT&T call center rep told the Apple associate to call her help desk. My associate proceeded to respond "YOU ARE MY HELPDESK!". At that point, I was livid. I thought I was leaving without a phone today. I keep calm because hey, I understand it's not my Apple associates fault. She leaves, comes back, and gets a NEW sim card. Scans this, scans that, and finally she said I'm good to go and if I wanted to set up the phone. I declined, I've already been there way longer than I should have.

I get back to my business. No Service. Oh god. I chat with AT&T and he was able to get service to my phone. So in a span of about 5 hours, I was able to get my iPhone 6 plus up and running.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I got to grand central at 6:30 and they shut down the store. No more pre-order pickups for the night. They weren't letting anyone else in and told me to come back tomorrow. All the while scalpers were being let in as the apple rep told me this. Went there three times today. Now I'm annoyed.

That's awful. The 5th Ave store had I think three lines. The third was for just people shopping so the could make sure the store didn't get too crowded.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
AT&T should be embarrassed. After the total lack of customer service I experienced last week with my preorder I came seconds away from porting my number to Verizon. I waited two hours in line at the Lenox Mall Apple Store for my backup phone after AT&T screwed up my first order. Once in the store, my Apple employee tried three times to activate the phone but could not.

I called AT&T and got a rep and they couldn't figure out the problem. Marcus, the Apple employee called a different number and waited and waited and finally I told him to port the number and give me a Verizon phone. Strangely, it finally worked and I was out in a mere four hours. AT&T was lucky to have the exclusive for a couple iPhone's but after seven iPhone launch dates, you'd think that they'd have it together.

AT&T, they are the pretty girl with the ugly personality.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Update!

Warning, CSB ahead:

Called to ask how long the in store pre order line was. Girl on the phone said only a few people and it's going by fast. 15 minutes later I'm at the store and there's line wrapping around. Kinda annoyed but oh well :mad:. An hour in line (remember, this is in store pickup line), I finally get in.

The girl brings me the phone, I'm accepting and signing on her device, and bam ERROR. She leaves for about 10 minutes and comes back on the phone with AT&T. She was having a hell of a time with AT&T call center rep and it wasn't going anywhere. At one point, the AT&T call center rep told the Apple associate to call her help desk. My associate proceeded to respond "YOU ARE MY HELPDESK!". At that point, I was livid. I thought I was leaving without a phone today. I keep calm because hey, I understand it's not my Apple associates fault. She leaves, comes back, and gets a NEW sim card. Scans this, scans that, and finally she said I'm good to go and if I wanted to set up the phone. I declined, I've already been there way longer than I should have.

I get back to my business. No Service. Oh god. I chat with AT&T and he was able to get service to my phone. So in a span of about 5 hours, I was able to get my iPhone 6 plus up and running.
Im glad it all worked out in the end.

farmkittie

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2013
Zero waiting when I went in around 7PM for in store pickup

I went to the Partridge Creek (Clinton Township, MI) store on a whim and there was no waiting for me but some line for the walk ins (not terrible though). I live closer to another metro Detroit suburb Apple store but I chose this one because it's smaller and I hoped maybe there'd be less traffic.

I'm so glad I went tonight. I was going to go on Sunday because I thought there might be a huge crowd tonight.

I have to highly compliment the Partridge Creek staff. They moved like a well oiled machine. They had many. many Apple employees there. I was greeted outside immediately. When I said I had a pickup and asked where the line is she gestured over to an unpopulated area so I thought I misunderstood her. One minute later they wished me deftly through the crowd and back to the genius bar. My phone was brought out in one minute. Activation with AT&T took 1-2 minutes at most. I bought a midnight blue leather case to go with my Gold iPhone 6s 128GB Gold. I can honestly say that I was treated like a VIP. Just letting people know in case they dread picking up their phone that it can be ultra smooth. Also more security on duty today.

Even security was extra nice and congratulated me on my new phone when I was out in the mall. Security driving around parking lot too. This is not a high crime area but the scarcity of the iPhone 6s might make even a semi-good boy go bad, I guess.

Good luck to everyone.

wongb2

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
I went to the grand central store at around 7:45pm and had to show the guard my confirmation pickup email to be let in. there were about 3 people ahead of me and I was done by 8. It was fairly smooth for me. Store was not crowded at all.

Vengeful

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2011

I got there around the same time and they let me in when I showed them my reservation, they weren't letting anyone in who couldn't prove they were there for pick up, went smooth for me sorry you had issues.

Twatay

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Spent almost two hours at the Apple Store yesterday. First phone they brought out had a defective SIM card tray. Had to exchange that phone for a new one. Then had a great time doing the AT&T cross upgrade. Ended up deactivating my sibling's phone when they activated my iPhone 6. :mad:

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Spent almost two hours at the Apple Store yesterday. First phone they brought out had a defective SIM card tray. Had to exchange that phone for a new one. Then had a great time doing the AT&T cross upgrade. Ended up deactivating my sibling's phone when they activated my iPhone 6. :mad:

Ya seemed like AT&T had sim card issues..

RickMC

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
I canceled my att preorder and ordered through the Apple Store this morning and scheduled to pick it up in the store today. How long does it usually take before they send you the email that it's ready to pick up? I ordered almost three hours ago and the email says items are usually available within the hour.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
I canceled my att preorder and ordered through the Apple Store this morning and scheduled to pick it up in the store today. How long does it usually take before they send you the email that it's ready to pick up? I ordered almost three hours ago and the email says items are usually available within the hour.

Took me 1 week 1 day. From preorder till I received my email. They will only email you once the item is literally at the store ready for pickup.

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Can I reserve a Verizon iPhone through Apple.com for in-store pickup and pay full price? So far I haven't been able to do it, it only gives the upgrade option so I'm guessing I can't, but I just wanted to check.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
California
Can I reserve a Verizon iPhone through Apple.com for in-store pickup and pay full price? So far I haven't been able to do it, it only gives the upgrade option so I'm guessing I can't, but I just wanted to check.

I think the only reservations you can do for in store pickup is from the Apple store itself, not the carrier store. I'd give them a call though.

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
I think the only reservations you can do for in store pickup is from the Apple store itself, not the carrier store. I'd give them a call though.

I'm looking to pickup the Verizon iPhone from the Apple store, but I want to reserve it online and pay full price.

RickMC

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Took me 1 week 1 day. From preorder till I received my email. They will only email you once the item is literally at the store ready for pickup.

Did yours says it was available "Today" when you ordered? Mine did so I just thought it definitely meant youll get it that day.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Just to update. I posted a 2hr estimated wait. It was probably 2hr 30min in total. The last 30 min breezed by though since I was actually in the process of getting my phone.

The thing that annoyed me is that they seemed to pull just as many people from the non reservation line as they did from our pre order line. I feel they should have given us some sort of priority over the other guys.

Might call apple just to give them my input. Maybe they'll throw a case my way or something if I'm lucky.

Saralee1323

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Trying to get a plus. Want pick it up in stores. Cancelled threw AT&T cause my phone was available online this morning at a local store. Went to order it..poof :eek:gone! What luck!! Does anyone know when a second shipment is said to come in to the apple stores with the pluses?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.