Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks to everyones suggestions and opinions on this.

Say if the problem is that I have excessive moisture in the room. What I don't understand is why that moisture should get in between the glass panel and the LCD Panel. Why is this not sealed? I am talking just the area between the glass and the LCD. I do not know anything about design of computers etc.. but if this was sealed I would think no moisture would get in.

Spievy

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Virginia
IMG_0002.jpg

do I see a figure of Jesus in there ??? :eek:

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007

Say if the problem is that I have excessive moisture in the room. What I don't understand is why that moisture should get in between the glass panel and the LCD Panel. Why is this not sealed? I am talking just the area between the glass and the LCD. I do not know anything about design of computers etc.. but if this was sealed I would think no moisture would get in.

Well, it's not sealed because you can't seal it without making it impossible to repair or upgrade. Unless.... you make it look ugly - IE: separate the computer part from the monitor part, which would make it look really stupid.

The best solution would be for them to sell a mid size tower. ;) But people love the iMac, and it sells like hotcakes.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I'd venture to say that at some point in time there is evidence of the moisture on the outside of the iMac as well. You might even see signs of condensation on other things as well. The problem is that any moisture on the inside won't be 'burned' away as quickly by normal changes in room ambient temperature.

At some point the humidity on the inside matches the outside, but when the humidity changes it will affect the outside faster as this is more exposed to ambient air.

I think the best course for you would be to get a dehumidifier, I guarantee you will notice a difference in less than a day. You will also be able to tell how bad it was by how frequently you have to empty the tank. Over time as the room is dried out the unit will run shorter time periods and you will empty it less frequently.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
If you can't explain how to fix the "flaw", you can't say it's a flaw.

Please tell me then why aren't traditional matte LCD screens affected by this issue?

Why should we customers have to fix this flaw for Apple?

What kind of logic is it, you might as well say something like "Just because I am not dead yet means I am not mortal".

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I understand what you were saying, but unless Apple describes this as a 'feature' then what they post on their tech specs for the iMac should hold true:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

Aren't we seeing condensation? From humidity?
Thus, the tech specs hold true, right?
:confused:

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Please tell me then why aren't traditional matte LCD screens affected by this issue?

What kind of logic is it, you might as well say something like "Just because I am not dead yet means I am not mortal".

Actually they are affected, but you cannot visibly see it. You see the condensing humidity is on the metal as well as the glass. When it begins to evaporate it manifests itself on the glass, so that it is more visible.

If the iMac is operated/stored within the SPECS that Apple designed it to be used in you would not see this condensation.

Here are the SPECS right from Apple Support ( I will highlight in RED a very important word )

Electrical and environmental requirements
Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Line voltage: 100-240V AC
Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz, single phase
Maximum continuous power: 200W (20-inch models); 280W (24-inch model)
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

SPEC URL ---> http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Mid_2007.html

If you have CONDENSATION, you do not have " noncondensing " humidity as spelled out in the SPECS.

I doubt anyone reads the SPECS anymore, but maybe if they did, complaints such as this would never arise!

I love people calling it a "design flaw", as if it were Apples fault. I guess people just like to blame others for shortcomings they themselves have control over.

Yeah the " all in one" design is flawed. :D :D :D :D :D :D That one is a hoot!!!!

If you hate the " All In One " design .... please immediately return your television to the store, after all it has the " display, receiver, audio amp, and processor " all in one cabinet! :p

" the only thing flawed is the argument that it is flawed "

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007

I have repeatedly explained that in my posts. Feel free to read them fully.

You miss my point. My point is simply that you cannot state something is a flaw unless you know the cause and the fix. Without that you simply know there is a "problem". The "problem" may be the environment the computer is in, or the method in which it is being used.

If you said, there is a design flaw in the iMac because it warps and rocks on it's stand. The fix is simple. Strengthen the base so that it does not warp.

Tell me how Apple can prevent condensation without either sealing the machine up so that it cannot be repaired or adding environmental controls like AC / de-humidification. If you can't - you don't have the grounds to say it's a design flaw. That doesn't mean it's not, but it does mean you don't know enough about the situation to say for sure that it is.

No, my logic is that I'm not going to use a mirror to your mouth (condensation, btw) to determine you're dead. Yeah, it's possible, but it's also possible you're just sleeping very deeply.

A bad design really can't make condensation occur. Temperature change + moisture in the air = condensation.

The bottom line is that it is annoying that this occurs. But guess what? The problem isn't the device. The problem is the environment. It's not good to live in an environment that is that humid. It's not good for your electronics, and it's not good for you. Your iMac is telling you something needs to be fixed in your environment. http://www.helium.com/tm/357388/common-fungus-probably-common

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
No product is ever perfect, there will always be someone who can find something wrong with something, never happy or content with anything.

Technology is moving on, the concept of the iMac is an all in one solution that is simple and easy to use, Sure a bit of condensation got in but if there is a high humidity then its bound to happen, just deal with it, open a window now and then or get a dehumidifier. The reason apple dont seal the unit in is because if they did youd then be bitching about that saying

gah my display is broken and apple says its going to cost this amount to replace because its all sealed in so takes longer to fix, stupid apple why did they seal it in? another apple design flaw blah blah blah

Most people don't live in high humidity environments, your case is like comparing buying a car and living in the poles then bitching that your fuel tank kept freezing over and incessantly blaming the manufacture.

Perhaps if your unhappy with apple products i could recommend getting a PC but then when you do, keep your PC design flaws to yourself..

BTW this isnt aimed at the thread starter, just those who keep bitching about nothing at all...

Mac6272

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
Im glad you guys are seeing this problems theirs threads all over the net about i myself had to return my imac, i had 5 of them all had the same problem, i miss my OSX but im not paying 2500 for a mac pro to use my display and actually be able to game properly :( apple really really need to come up with an idea to fix this, once they do ill buy another imac till then stick to a mac mini, mac pro, or a pc i personally love my quadcore pc but i miss my osx :(

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Here we are today ....

Weather extremes like crazy - house humidity barely under control and still ...

NO PROBLEMS

I will admit though the room where our computers and such reside is somewhat sorta controlled to operating specs given by manufacturers. ( Temp / Humidity ) It is truly the most comfortable room in the house.

Yeah I know, I am truly a geek for reading the enviromental specs! :p

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Im glad you guys are seeing this problems theirs threads all over the net about i myself had to return my imac, i had 5 of them all had the same problem, i miss my OSX but im not paying 2500 for a mac pro to use my display and actually be able to game properly :( apple really really need to come up with an idea to fix this, once they do ill buy another imac till then stick to a mac mini, mac pro, or a pc i personally love my quadcore pc but i miss my osx :(

When others are reporting no issues, but you experience 5 in a row, it just might be time to question your own environment/room where the iMac was placed. Call me crazy.

jaredisme

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Well I'm glad I live in a dry area. Actually a desert, it just doesn't really seem like one because it snows non-stop.

cameocreams

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
New Zealand (Middle Earth)
1st iMac - One DEAD (not stuck) pixel purchases xmas '07
2nd iMac - CONDENSATION AFTER FIRST START UP
3rd iMac - CONDENSATION AFTER FIRST START UP AGAIN (See 1st link)
4th iMac - CONDENSATION after two months of USE!!!!!!!!!!! (see 2nd link) Shut down and waited for it to disappear, booted it back up and it appeared again! but only in the corner.

So i emailed the person i was already dealing with and she said:

We did get a reply from Apple regarding the condensation. See below.

Please inform to the customer that the condensation disappears on
its own after the computer has been running for approximately one to
two hours, and should not return thereafter. No other action needs to
be taken. Please do not service the computer for this issue.

Im from New Zealand and Renaissance are the distributors for Apple products in NZ hence why its 'a reply from Apple'

Im pretty pissed off with that answer.....

3rd iMac picture - http://www.flickr.com/photos/23708971@N07/2447540451/
4th iMac picture - http://www.flickr.com/photos/23708971@N07/2448367196/

I use a dehumidifier so i dont really understand... iMac is sitting on a desk not near any windows or anything... :(

shipdestroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
New Hampshire
This happened to mine. I took a hairdryer, set it to low, and gently "dried" the glass until the condensation went away on the inside. Probably not the best idea, but it never happened again.

cameocreams

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
When others are reporting no issues, but you experience 5 in a row, it just might be time to question your own environment/room where the iMac was placed. Call me crazy.

Ive had 3 machines with the same problem, my 4th machine now is doing it again after two months with no problems!!!

Its Autumn in New Zealand atm and i have had this problem since summer and tired it at different locations (my room, boyfriends house upstairs and downstairs) all resulting with this.

Im not saying there is a design flaw nor am i saying anything else people who are in the same position are saying. But this just sucks majorly :(

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
After reading about all of the people who are having the issues, even though I would LOVE to have an iMac, I will never buy one until this is solved. I wouldn't be able to put up with this. I'm not the kind that can spend that much money and be happy with something that doesn't behave the way I expect. Design flaw or not, I'd return the damn thing and buy something else until they get their sh*t together.

cameocreams

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
The power of an email

So after my last post on here, i decided to try and email Steve Jobs.

googled what others thought the email was and proceeded with my email and off it went.

So that was last nite.. nearly 24 hours later, i get a phone call on my cell from an Australian number.

It was Apple!!! Ringing regarding my email i sent!

HA!!!

I dont think i should get into what we discussed but i never expected this!!!

Will update on here when its sorted :D

designeralice

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2008
i have almost the exact same condensation

My new 24" iMac screen is doing this exact same thing, in the very same place. It disappears after about an hour, hour-n-a-half. After years of PCs, thrilled to finally get a Mac, this totally disappoints me, and scared the daylights out of me the first time.
Thank you for this forum. I'll be looking out for more info on it.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
My 2 pence!!

Yes the condensation is scary and not something you want to see when you switch on your new imac. But it dose disappear. But what doesn't go, is the filth on the inside of the glass. (Milky Water Marks) looks like some cleaning process, thats still going horribly wrong in the china factory.
Im sure its only a problem for able sited members of society:eek::rolleyes:

What a shame on the company. Not even to fix these massive problems this late in the game. questions their ethos, and their use of plausible deniability.
Plus we cant all go out and buy mac pos. Which is obviously what the want us who care to do . Am I rambling ? :)

Personally I like the matt/ speckle effect of the older imacs. YOu cant obviously see the square pixels which always put me off the new imac.
Still i've recommended two people to buy them. Who would not even understand what we debating, kind of proves apples thinking, but hard on the core of apples loyal educated customer base.
(And too penny pinching for a company that has 19 Billion in the bank) Lol the should'nt cut their margin's too far, screens are the main components of any apple product. My borthers mac book screen is horrible (Another sale recomendation)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.