Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:
Not my forum, but I thought that people would come visit the thread more often if they knew that new images would be posted everyday. If you limit it to one, people are more likely to keep posting than to "blow their wad" as it were and post a bunch of pics an never post again. People will also come back to look and see what their "favorites" post each day, too.

Wouldn't bother me either way, bud. :)

Here in the DPF it seems that the OP is able to set the "rules" for posts in photo threads. I was just bowing to your original thoughts on this thread. If I understand the intent here on MR, you as the OP can notify the Mods if there are abuses. :)

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Chip NoVaMac said:
Here in the DPF it seems that the OP is able to set the "rules" for posts in photo threads. I was just bowing to your original thoughts on this thread. If I understand the intent here on MR, you as the OP can notify the Mods if there are abuses. :)

I'd like it to be one pic per day, but I'm not going to hold anyone to it. :)

Sounds like you had a good time today. ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Memorial Day Weekend 2006

Here is my pic of the day; May 28th, 2006. Taken as part of my day taking part in the Rolling Thunder demonstration.

[Note: this is not a parade, but a demonstration for all POW/MIA's unaccounted for in Vietnam; and all wars. It is also to bring to the publics attention the dimensioning benefits given to those that serve our nation.} (http://www.rollingthunder1.org/)

This image sums up for me my feelings on Memorial Day here in the US. It is not about the right or wrong of a war. It is about remembering those that gave the greatest sacrifice that one can give to their country, their own life.

Photo details: Nikon D50, 18-200VR (@ 82mm), ISO 200, f/5.3, 1/400

Attachments

• _DSC0249.jpg
    _DSC0249.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 215

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Chip NoVaMac said:
Here is my pic of the day; May 28th, 2006. Taken as part of my day taking part in the Rolling Thunder demonstration.

[Note: this is not a parade, but a demonstration for all POW/MIA's unaccounted for in Vietnam; and all wars. It is also to bring to the publics attention the dimensioning benefits given to those that serve our nation.} (http://www.rollingthunder1.org/)

This image sums up for me my feelings on Memorial Day here in the US. It is not about the right or wrong of a war. It is about remembering those that gave the greatest sacrifice that one can give to their country, their own life.

Photo details: Nikon D50, 18-200VR (@ 82mm), ISO 200, f/5.3, 1/400

Nice pic, Chip - I looked at it for a good few minutes scoping out the details. You have a much better eye than I do with this type of stuff. :)

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
This was my first pic I took with my new camera and lens a few days ago:

page9-1012-full.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 5D
ISO: 320
Focal Length: 58
Shutter/Aperture: 1/250 @ f6.3
Lens: Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ipacmm said:

page9-1012-full.jpg

Focal Length: 220mm

Pssst...Pssst...;)

Name of Picture | City/State or City/Country | Date

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:
Nice pic, Chip - I looked at it for a good few minutes scoping out the details. You have a much better eye than I do with this type of stuff. :)

Thanks, in some ways I approach some of the images I take with a camera like a painter does with a canvas. Sometimes it is more in the details. :)

BTW, I ended up with a total of 22 images that mean something to me at least out of the day. I approach things from a photojournalist mindset for events like this. (Be on the lookout for my postings with the rest of the images. :D ) Much like my take for yesterdays shoot at ViVa Vienna in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/203704/

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
Been spending the evening editing the pics that I took at Rolling Thunder today.

Dang, I never got out this evening to go over to the two motels on Rte 50 where there are a lot of bikers staying, so I missed the opportunity tonight to shoot all the bikes lined up in the parking lot.... Totally forgot about that!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chip NoVaMac said:
Thanks, in some ways I approach some of the images I take with a camera like a painter does with a canvas. Sometimes it is more in the details. :)

BTW, I ended up with a total of 22 images that mean something to me at least out of the day. I approach things from a photojournalist mindset for events like this. (Be on the lookout for my postings with the rest of the images. :D ) Much like my take for yesterdays shoot at ViVa Vienna in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/203704/

I will definitely be on the lookout! Yes, i, too, fancy the whole photojournalistic approach.... However, if one is not there at the event, one doesn't get the photos! I missed out on "Viva Vienna!" and I'm sorry about that. I am planning to get over to the City of Falls Church's Memorial Day festivities tomorrow....

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
ipacmm said:

page9-1012-full.jpg

Focal Length: 220mm

ipacmm - A question for you, I see you're using the 24-105 f4L IS, but I note that your Focal Lenth is 220mm - an extender, I presume? I'm curious just because I like to see photographs taken with that lens and I wanted to make sure I understood the setup. Thanks. LG

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
law guy said:
ipacmm - A question for you, I see you're using the 24-105 f4L IS, but I note that your Focal Lenth is 220mm - an extender, I presume? I'm curious just because I like to see photographs taken with that lens and I wanted to make sure I understood the setup. Thanks. LG

I wrote the wrong focal length, it is 58mm, for some reason Aperture said it was 220...:confused:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
:)

lights.sized.jpg

Taken on 3/16/2006

Lighting inside the Mall of America in Bloomington Minnesota. Decided to go on a photo shoot last winter to help kill some cabin fever.

Camera: Canon Powershot Pro1
ISO: 400
Focal Length: 16.81mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/10 @ 3.2
Lens: factory L series (integrated)

::EDIT::

Sorry didn't see the proper posting format, until after I posted the picture. Even when I did that, I forgot to note the date (doing so now) :eek:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
This is a lovely image, Chip -- it evokes a lot of meaning and is definitely a reminder of what Memorial Day should be all about. Thanks!

Thanks, I thought long and hard with all the images that I thought were keepers from today.

Maybe it is being the son of a 20+ year vet (WWII and Korea - and the Cuban Missile Crisis, my Dad was still part of the "ready reserve" at that time); but I was raised with a respect of those that are chosen to serve (the Draft), or choose to serve our Nation.

The Federal Holidays (Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, and Veterans Day) have been ingrained in me at an early age. It takes going down to the Vietnam Memorial, the new WWII memorial, as well as many others here in the area - to appreciate the sacrifices that others have made.

I was moved today on my first visit to the WWII memorial by the tributes left by those who's parents had served in the war. I will be sharing the photographic memories of that time there in a separate thread here.

I may or may not support "any" administrations use of military force. But I do support those that serve. This may even be in my concern that they were sent in on dubious claims, wishing only to keep them out of harms way. And for those left at "home", this is the best thing we can do for those that gave their lives. Or may have given a part of themselves in doing what our leaders was thought was right.

Today, I came away with a greater respect for those that were able to come back. And a deeper remembrance of those that did not. (Side note: there were many opportunities for some great photographs - I decided against pressing the shutter button, only to try to preserve that private moment).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Clix Pix said:
I will definitely be on the lookout! Yes, i, too, fancy the whole photojournalistic approach.... However, if one is not there at the event, one doesn't get the photos! I missed out on "Viva Vienna!" and I'm sorry about that. I am planning to get over to the City of Falls Church's Memorial Day festivities tomorrow....

What is the time and location of this? I owe my sister a visit tomorrow ,but may be able to take some time on getting to her.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
This picture was taken on 2/7/2005 at the University of Texas at San Antonio. It is the entrance to the Science Building. No post processing...(mainly because I do not know what the heck I am doing) It was taken at night and I loved the way the sky turned out.

Attachments

• CRW_0310.jpg
    CRW_0310.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 228

Leraste

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Sunday Evening Sky

Taken: 05/28/06
Camera: Canon EOS 30D
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 18mm
Shutter/Aperture: 1/160 @ f8
Lens: EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6

Cropped/resized/adjusted levels/adjusted contrast/color balanced/sharpened in photoshop.

img61254bz.jpg

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Leraste said:
Sunday Evening Sky

Cropped/resized/adjusted levels/adjusted contrast/color balanced/sharpened in photoshop.

img61254bz.jpg

Love the negative use of space in this image.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Leraste said:
Sunday Evening Sky

Taken: 05/28/06

img61254bz.jpg

dops7107 said:
Nice eyes indeed! :) Excellent sharpness. Shame about the nose shadow though - from the flash I assume?

Today's offering: Tree-lined avenue at University of Nottingham, Sutton Bonington Campus; near Loughborough, UK; summer 2003. Nikon Coolpix 4500; Hoya R72 infra-red filter, toned in Photoshop.

attachment.php

nospleen said:
This picture was taken on 2/7/2005 at the University of Texas at San Antonio. It is the entrance to the Science Building. No post processing...(mainly because I do not know what the heck I am doing) It was taken at night and I loved the way the sky turned out.

Love all 3 of these shots a lot. The photo of the science building is just cool because I love photos of nice skies, although Leraste's photo was harder to compose, I'm sure. :) The photo by dops7107 would have been cool even without the filter, but with it on, it really wow'ed me.:)

This photo was taken in the Middle of Nowhere, Australia --- 23/05/2006 --- Canon IXUS 40/SD300.

Now we know where Q-tips come from. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.