Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JDMFSeanP

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
THAT is sexy.

Thanks man :p

Here's a couple more:
h2pz9.jpg

yzSQh.jpg

eOLmG.jpg

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I remember when the Panemera first came out, I took a look at a few of them. At the time, the rear wiper was $1048 USD. I was looking for the absolute base model 2wd, but not one dealer had one.

Out of curiosity, what did you end up getting? I found that not many are ordered without 5-10k in options at the very minimum, not surprising considering how a 'base' model is genuinely stripped (at least compared to comparable luxury vehicles).

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Out of curiosity, what did you end up getting? I found that not many are ordered without 5-10k in options at the very minimum, not surprising considering how a 'base' model is genuinely stripped (at least compared to comparable luxury vehicles).

I still don't know what to do. my current daily driver is a Scion tC, because I was in need of a car and was in the right place at the right time, and got it for about 6k below Blue Book (remember, it's only a 20k car). I drive around 90 miles a day, and the Scion has been extremely reliable, nothing but oil changes. I bought it certified used with 34k miles, and it now has 85.
The problem is, for the tC's replacement I'm stuck between a full size car, wagon, or another smaller car like my Scion. I've looked at cars like the Panamera, Acura ZDX, and the wagon versions of the 3 and 5 series BMWs. I'm also stuck between a small car like the BMW 1 series, or maybe even the Scion FR-S. Yesterday, I even looked at the Ford Focus ST.
I'm worried about long term reliability, because I've always owned Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus and now Scion. The main problem is, I seem to want a car that doesn't exist, but I haven't given up quite yet.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
I still don't know what to do. my current daily driver is a Scion tC, because I was in need of a car and was in the right place at the right time, and got it for about 6k below Blue Book (remember, it's only a 20k car). I drive around 90 miles a day, and the Scion has been extremely reliable, nothing but oil changes. I bought it certified used with 34k miles, and it now has 85.
The problem is, for the tC's replacement I'm stuck between a full size car, wagon, or another smaller car like my Scion. I've looked at cars like the Panamera, Acura ZDX, and the wagon versions of the 3 and 5 series BMWs. I'm also stuck between a small car like the BMW 1 series, or maybe even the Scion FR-S. Yesterday, I even looked at the Ford Focus ST.
I'm worried about long term reliability, because I've always owned Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus and now Scion. The main problem is, I seem to want a car that doesn't exist, but I haven't given up quite yet.

If you were looking like at a 3-series wagon, did you think about a Acura TSX Sport Wagon? Should be a pretty reliable car, I'm just not sure when they will redesign it, along with the TL.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

Reliability is still iffy on German vehicles... most of mine have been okay but when issues came up they were big issues. Japanese cars may not be as exciting but there's no questioning their dependability.

Look into a CPO'd 2010/2011 Panamera- they started coming off leases earlier this year and seem to be fairly reliable from what I'm reading on 6speed etc. and you can get well optioned 'S' units for way less than even a new V6.

Or for the 'poor man's' alternative (...though not poor at all), an Audi A7/S7? Certainly not small but like the P there's a decent sized hatch with fold-down rear seats so it's kinda like a full size car - wagon hybrid.

As for small car- new Cayman? It's a hatchback too, albeit a tiny one :p Plus there's the frunk for more things!

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Started modding my 2003 F150 after my deployment in 2009, and have been slowing modding the truck since then. Most recent photo I have here is when I got back in April.

CIMG0933.jpg

It's a good truck and should last me a long time. I bought it back in 2006 right after high after high school with 39k miles, it now has just shy of 90k miles in it.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Reliability is still iffy on German vehicles... most of mine have been okay but when issues came up they were big issues. Japanese cars may not be as exciting but there's no questioning their dependability.

Look into a CPO'd 2010/2011 Panamera- they started coming off leases earlier this year and seem to be fairly reliable from what I'm reading on 6speed etc. and you can get well optioned 'S' units for way less than even a new V6.

Or for the 'poor man's' alternative (...though not poor at all), an Audi A7/S7? Certainly not small but like the P there's a decent sized hatch with fold-down rear seats so it's kinda like a full size car - wagon hybrid.

As for small car- new Cayman? It's a hatchback too, albeit a tiny one :p Plus there's the frunk for more things!

What type of gas mileage do you manage in your Porsche? The gearing on my tC is more about torque, so highway RPM at 85 is nearly four thousand, resulting in around 26mpg. I'd love to find something that gets closer to 28. I know the Panamera has the start-stop system and a few fuel saving features, but I do mainly highway driving, and I don't trust the EPA figures. (My car is rated at 32mpg, but at 55mph the computer claims 41) I've been watching for some lease turn ins on the Panamera, but they sell pretty quick. I've also been looking at a few 2006 or so 911 4s's, just because they are literally half the price of a new one.
MaxMike, I did look into the TSX Sport Wagon, but it was a bit underpowered for my liking. The wagon is 0-60 in 8 seconds, and even my tC with its 2.4L 179hp inline 4 does 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds. I had a TL-S before that was in the low 5's, and even the tC was a downgrade I wasn't sure I could make. I'm looking for either a sports car, or sport oriented grand touring car this time around.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
What type of gas mileage do you manage in your Porsche? The gearing on my tC is more about torque, so highway RPM at 85 is nearly four thousand, resulting in around 26mpg. I'd love to find something that gets closer to 28. I know the Panamera has the start-stop system and a few fuel saving features, but I do mainly highway driving, and I don't trust the EPA figures. (My car is rated at 32mpg, but at 55mph the computer claims 41) I've been watching for some lease turn ins on the Panamera, but they sell pretty quick. I've also been looking at a few 2006 or so 911 4s's, just because they are literally half the price of a new one.

MaxMike, I did look into the TSX Sport Wagon, but it was a bit underpowered for my liking. The wagon is 0-60 in 8 seconds, and even my tC with its 2.4L 179hp inline 4 does 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds. I had a TL-S before that was in the low 5's, and even the tC was a downgrade I wasn't sure I could make. I'm looking for either a sports car, or sport oriented grand touring car this time around.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask regarding fuel economy as I do 90% city (in Sport mode no less). However, on the two 500+km road trips I've done so far I averaged about 23mpg according to the onboard computer.

Mind you, this was with 4 people and a full trunk, and the engine hadn't been broken in yet so I was constantly varying the RPMs. I imagine you could get a lot more with just one person and a broken in engine in 7th gear.

You're right in saying the start stop technology is useless on the highway, but the coasting feature on the Hybrid model might interest you:
A further energy saving can be made by coasting during driving. That means running without the combustion engine in operation – it switches off automatically. You can see this from the rev counter, which will be on READY and not displaying any revs. Through this, the hybrid shows its advantages away from city traffic – at speeds of up to 165 km/h.

But if what you want is a quick wagon... E63 AMG Station Wagon? 5.5 twin turbo V8, ~520bhp... that's going to be a damn sight quicker than the TSX, though fuel economy might suffer a bit :D

vet

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Vancouver
How is the 335d? I've been looking in to them a bit. Reliable?

Loving my diesel. I haven't had much issue with reliability. There was a few recalls and twice it had a stuck EGR valve that needed to be reset. Otherwise it is mechanically sound and the low end torque makes it a hoot to drive.

The combination of fuel efficiency, power, and range is one of the best aspects of the car. Where I live, Diesel is cheaper than premium gas. Not having to refuel as often and increased efficiency over its gasoline counterpart is an added bonus.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Loving my diesel. I haven't had much issue with reliability. There was a few recalls and twice it had a stuck EGR valve that needed to be reset. Otherwise it is mechanically sound and the low end torque makes it a hoot to drive.

The combination of fuel efficiency, power, and range is one of the best aspects of the car. Where I live, Diesel is cheaper than premium gas. Not having to refuel as often and increased efficiency over its gasoline counterpart is an added bonus.

Thanks! Was it all covered by warranty? Beautiful car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.