Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidhussy

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2014
In Own Home =D :P
I Have Acura-ilx

:D
acura-ilx-2013-wallpaper

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
Why all the hate for the CAI in this thread?

In the end, even if it doesn't give me any noticeable gains, it costs $160 and makes the car sound sexy, thats good enough for me!

I had the Takeda for my car, it was great for a week and start fowling up my MAF sensor, but that was just a problem for my car, i drive a 2012 Scion tC and it is a major problem for their intake for my car but i got rid of it and got a K&N intake, its like a hybrid cold air, its a short ram with a heatshield that actually works, sounds freaking amazing and metal pipe goes down far enough to the opening behind the light so its sucking in a lot of cold air and i also have a full catback, next upgrades, sway bars, springs and headers

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
First car (22 yrs old and about to finish Masters)

American folks will probably not recognize the car/make etc but that's OK!

My first car and I love it. It has (almost) everything like keyless entry, electric parking brake, hill assist, rain sensor, cruise control, rear PDC etc.

I recently installed 18" alloys wheels :)

it's a Renault Megane 5 doors hatchback with currently 7500KM on the clock (build end of 2013).

IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's not too surprising, Takeda advertises the intake as providing " Gains up to 9 hp and 9 ft-lbs. of torque". I plan to test it out for myself once I install it this week, I have a friend who works at a local performance shop so we can take a look on dyno. I assume I'll at least get some gains, but whether it's really in that range I don't know.

Usually those advertised gains are with a tune and/or complimenting modifications. Also, if you’re comparing, you’ll need to do a an A-B-A, same dyno, back-to-back, check temps, etc.

I’ve probably been on dynos at least 30[?] times - done some testing with various mods, with/without tunes, on stock vs. bolt-ons vs. radical mods (big single on my Supra, H/C on my Z06) and generally, those small changes do very little, and sometimes actually reduce the performance. For example: the extra air runs the car lean, and it pulls some timing.

Bottom line is with all the variables involved, and a change of 2% or so, it’s probably hard to measure.

Also be aware that some of the aftermarket _filters_ do a poor job of, well, filtering :D I’ve read plenty of stories about poor filtering, or when combined with a low, “cold air” position can lead to water ingestion.

I definitely don’t want sound like a bummer though, I mean it’s very likely this will uncork a tiny bit of power and maybe a little throttle response (OEM intakes have to deal with noise concerns, so are generally more restrictive), and if it’s a good filter filter design, it should do it’s primary job of protecting your engine. The sound from an aftermarket intake can be fun too :)

Jspring86

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Tempe, AZ
Usually those advertised gains are with a tune and/or complimenting modifications. Also, if you’re comparing, you’ll need to do a an A-B-A, same dyno, back-to-back, check temps, etc.

I’ve probably been on dynos at least 30[?] times - done some testing with various mods, with/without tunes, on stock vs. bolt-ons vs. radical mods (big single on my Supra, H/C on my Z06) and generally, those small changes do very little, and sometimes actually reduce the performance. For example: the extra air runs the car lean, and it pulls some timing.

Bottom line is with all the variables involved, and a change of 2% or so, it’s probably hard to measure.

Also be aware that some of the aftermarket _filters_ do a poor job of, well, filtering :D I’ve read plenty of stories about poor filtering, or when combined with a low, “cold air” position can lead to water ingestion.

I definitely don’t want sound like a bummer though, I mean it’s very likely this will uncork a tiny bit of power and maybe a little throttle response (OEM intakes have to deal with noise concerns, so are generally more restrictive), and if it’s a good filter filter design, it should do it’s primary job of protecting your engine. The sound from an aftermarket intake can be fun too :)

Yeah, I certainly don't expect to make my car a powerhouse by installing a simple CAI. I'm mainly doing it for the nice sound, and if I get some small performance bump thats cool too. As someone else said earlier, if I really wanted a fast car, I'd probably prefer to start with a more powerful car than my Accord anyway. I will try to keep a eye on the effectiveness of the intake as an actual filter, to see if I notice any performance degradation as you mentioned.

I installed the intake today, I'll post a few pics of that tomorrow maybe. It looks good, and the sound is nice. I don't know much of anything about the performance statistics yet, but the throttle response does feel better and it certainly makes a good sound above 3k RPM.

I've mainly been doing some mods to make the car look nicer and more fun to drive, I don't have any plans to be doing any street racing. The other thing I just finished was installing some custom leather upholstery on my seats, I actually didn't do this myself but it looks nice and feels better than the factory cloth. Heres a pic of the custom leather work if people are interested:

14023724460_325e16cb8d_z.jpg

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've mainly been doing some mods to make the car look nicer and more fun to drive, I don't have any plans to be doing any street racing. The other thing I just finished was installing some custom leather upholstery on my seats, I actually didn't do this myself but it looks nice and feels better than the factory cloth. Heres a pic of the custom leather work if people are interested:

Wow, very nice!

It’s amazing how much the driving experienced is improved with aesthetic improvements, even to the interior. In my mind (as a “car guy”), if the car looks and sounds better, it _drives_ better. I’m totally convinced that a clean car is actually faster :D

That poster is right about spending X on aftermarket vs. just buying a faster car from the factory - but you’re right about small bolt-ons here and there making X a lot less than the price difference - and also being fun, incremental improvements you can make over the ownership period to keep it interesting.

I think it’s when you start spending half or more of the price of the car on aftermarket that things get way out of skew. Especially when it’s time to sell and you’re taking an 80-85% hit on the parts (plus it’s rare that a car loaded with aftermarket performance parts ever comes together like a factory vehicle).

Enjoy, you’ve got a nice ride! :cool:

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Sorry for the lousy picture, but it's all I could find in a hurry! Anyways, this is my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Its my first car and has been my DD for close to 5 years now. I've meticulously maintained it and made all sorts of improvements over the years; one of which you see in the picture! (Repainted the faded gray plastic with spray-on bed liner.)

Its 2WD (Rear Wheel, Tow Package, 3.73 Dana 35c), engine is the famous 4.0 I6, trans. is 4-Spd 42RE.

A few of the more recent improvements are:

New Bosch 703 Injectors on the stock intake.

Stainless headers, fully welded 2.5" exhaust with a Magnaflow High Flow cat and a Flowmaster Super 44.

Mopar Performance CAI. (Fairly noticeable throttle response improvement over stock; exhaust helps too.)

Just installed a Hayden 678 plate and fin aux. transmission oil cooler yesterday; so far so good.

The list goes on, but I'll leave it at that. :)

Original engine and transmission are coming up on 200k miles; if you drove it, you wouldn't believe the odometer. ;)

ej6cmt.jpg

Last edited:

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
First car (22 yrs old and about to finish Masters)

American folks will probably not recognize the car/make etc but that's OK!

My first car and I love it. It has (almost) everything like keyless entry, electric parking brake, hill assist, rain sensor, cruise control, rear PDC etc.

I recently installed 18" alloys wheels :)

it's a Renault Megane 5 doors hatchback with currently 7500KM on the clock (build end of 2013).

View attachment 473173
View attachment 473171
View attachment 473172

I recognized it almost immediately without even reading the text :)

It's actually somewhat known in the United States. Several large video games (Need for Speed, Forza, Gran Turismo) have featured both the Megane and other Renault vehicles.

I've always wanted a Twizy honestly :)

Endoviper

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Here is mine during one of the very rare times I was cleaning it...it's a Mitsubishi Outlander Warrior.

After the arrival of our third child recently, it looks like it may have to go and be replaced by something bigger :(

IMG_2892_zpsf5b6c08b.jpg

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Mine - 96 MB C220 (w202)

Here's mine - a nice older Benz. She's a 96 C220 (basic, naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder) in Smoke Silver. I'm not a fan of the color, but I got a great deal when I bought her - $2500 last November. Still in need of a good detail now that winter is over; that'll be my first summer project (I'm a teacher, so summer break is fast approaching!).

Currently showing 143k miles and running great. I want to replace the grill with the s600-style and install clear corner markers/turn signals; I want new wheels, but I've got great condition tires - gonna ride the stock stuff for a while still yet. I'd love to paint her gleaming white someday, too. :)

Anybody else riding a 202?

(You can see my wife's ride in the background - a 2013 Camry SE in Super White.)

Attachments

• benz.jpg
    benz.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140403_180226.jpg
    IMG_20140403_180226.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 106

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sorry for the lousy picture, but it's all I could find in a hurry! Anyways, this is my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Took one of those to 287,xxx miles before the tranny went out. Was a limited with the V8, got ~14MPG. Don't want to think of all the gas, but was a nice car. Dependable, powerful and I liked the look of it. Would love a 5.9L ZJ.

Stephen Dowling

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
GA
Took one of those to 287,xxx miles before the tranny went out. Was a limited with the V8, got ~14MPG. Don't want to think of all the gas, but was a nice car. Dependable, powerful and I liked the look of it. Would love a 5.9L ZJ.

I believe it! These ZJ's are tough as nails. If I behave myself I can get around 18 mpg around town and 22 mpg on the interstate with my 4.0! I agree with you on the 5.9's; I think I literally drool if I ever see one driving around.

I've actually had my eyes on a 5.9 for sale locally, and everything is in great shape except the plenum gaskets need to be replaced. I hate replacing plenum gaskets...haha

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
A photo from yesterday's autocross. I had a 3.46 LSD built for it and yesterday was my first chance to drive it in anger. Big improvement.

Attachments

• _J5V1099 - resized.jpg
    _J5V1099 - resized.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 87

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
^^ I love your plate and avatar.

My dad and I bought this Saab 900 Turbo that had been sitting for almost 9 years. it was not running and we quickly discovered the problem. Someone had cut the wires from the harness to the fuel injectors. It looked very suspicious. We went the junkyard, grabbed some new injector connectors, I spliced them onto the harness and it started right up. Here is how it looked when we found it and how it looks now.

It still needs: Brakes, tires, some $10 temp sensor, Transmission flush, coolant flush (did oil today) and a good wash but all in all it is a great car. I can't wait to get it on the road for real.

Depending on what we decide to do with it I might put in a better FPR, better injectors and up the boost.

Attachments

• saab2.png
    saab2.png
    731 KB · Views: 87
  • saab1.JPG
    saab1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 95

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
^^ I love your plate and avatar.

My dad and I bought this Saab 900 Turbo that had been sitting for almost 9 years. it was not running and we quickly discovered the problem. Someone had cut the wires from the harness to the fuel injectors. It looked very suspicious. We went the junkyard, grabbed some new injector connectors, I spliced them onto the harness and it started right up. Here is how it looked when we found it and how it looks now.

It still needs: Brakes, tires, some $10 temp sensor, Transmission flush, coolant flush (did oil today) and a good wash but all in all it is a great car. I can't wait to get it on the road for real.

Depending on what we decide to do with it I might put in a better FPR, better injectors and up the boost.

Under the "it still needs" part, I think you should add a nice set of shiny new wheels. :)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
A photo from yesterday's autocross. I had a 3.46 LSD built for it and yesterday was my first chance to drive it in anger. Big improvement.

What’s the factory gearing?

Looks like fun, I’ve managed to miss the last few months of events, and a few were even within 10 miles :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.