Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
14.2 didn't change anything for me aside from now I can see the actual category breakdown of my storage usage. I have noticed over the last week that the amount of space used by the messages app is going down from what it was when I first set everything up. I can only assuming its still indexing something in the background.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
14.2 RC didn’t fix this issue for me. The wait continues...hopefully 14.3?
Lets just keep out fingers crossed. Thankfully for me, the phone is flawless otherwise and the pictures are accessible if I dare to scroll backwards through the convos.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Lets just keep out fingers crossed. Thankfully for me, the phone is flawless otherwise and the pictures are accessible if I dare to scroll backwards through the convos.
They need to make scrolling faster, I hate waiting for the messages to load each time i scroll up to see more messages

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
It’s not an indexing issue. Idk what that guy is talking about

For me it was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I could see pictures in the conversation themselves, but not in the Info tab for several days before they finally appeared. You also ignored the part where I said turning Messages in the Cloud off and on before it was done restoring could have cause problems. Either way, good luck with your problems!

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
For me it was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I could see pictures in the conversation themselves, but not in the Info tab for several days before they finally appeared. You also ignored the part where I said turning Messages in the Cloud off and on before it was done restoring could have cause problems. Either way, good luck with your problems!
OK so if I did turn off iCloud iMessages then what do you suggest I do now?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
It’s been on since last Friday

Back your phone up, then restore it, but this time leave the Messages toggle on for at least 3-4 days. I know it sucks, but I am convinced it might have to do with turning it off then on when it was not done doing it's thing.
By the way, how many GBs of messages do you have on iCloud?

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Back your phone up, then restore it, but this time leave the Messages toggle on for at least 3-4 days. I know it sucks, but I am convinced it might have to do with turning it off then on when it was not done doing it's thing.
By the way, how many GBs of messages do you have on iCloud?
24.5GB, why?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
24.5GB, why?

Well because that plays in how long it takes to fully download your data, then index it. In my case I had 10 GB and it took three days to index (I have gigabit internet so it probably didn't take long to actually download things).

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Well because that plays in how long it takes to fully download your data, then index it. In my case I had 10 GB and it took three days to index (I have gigabit internet so it probably didn't take long to actually download things).
I have gigabit internet as well...its just crazy that since last Friday the photos didn’t comeback...so you’re saying back up, restore from iCloud and then turn on Imessage in iCloud and then leave it alone for a few days?

DeanL

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2014
London
I have gigabit internet as well...its just crazy that since last Friday the photos didn’t comeback...so you’re saying back up, restore from iCloud and then turn on Imessage in iCloud and then leave it alone for a few days?

Yup. After you've launched the restore process, leave it it alone connected to power. When you use your phone while it restore, it makes it become hot. When your phone is too hot, the restore process gets paused. Many people do not notice because it happens in the background.
While restoring from iCloud, if you go in Settings > Click on your name > Your iPhone > iCloud Backup, it will tell you whether the restore process is still going on and whether it's paused because your phone is too hot.
When it says that it's ready to back up, then everything has downloaded. From there, wait a couple of days for your messages to index.

atlchamp

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Atlanta
Yup. After you've launched the restore process, leave it it alone connected to power. When you use your phone while it restore, it makes it become hot. When your phone is too hot, the restore process gets paused. Many people do not notice because it happens in the background.
While restoring from iCloud, if you go in Settings > Click on your name > Your iPhone > iCloud Backup, it will tell you whether the restore process is still going on and whether it's paused because your phone is too hot.
When it says that it's ready to back up, then everything has downloaded. From there, wait a couple of days for your messages to index.
Thank you!

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I have a feeling these steps will not work. I’m sorry. I already lost faith with all the suggested fixes.

Let us know if this will work for you. Good luck!

beeboywhoo

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
So I had this same exact issue as you guys. I did a backup and then erased entire iPhone and restored from iCloud backup. While messages were downloading from iCloud I was able to tap info on some contacts and see the “download 130 images” link and when I did that after a few hours it was restored. The issue is for the contacts I did not do that for when I hit tap it’s as if nothing existed :/. Really stupid and frustrating problem.

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell

Ok, so i got bored and tried this last Monday (Australian time) and now (Saturday - Australian time) i am restoring all my idevices (ipad, iphone) from an old itunes FULL back up (last Monday back up) since all the images in my imessage are gone. I am also restoring the imessage DB of my mac using time machine.

This suggested fix did not work for me. What it gave me is pure headache so I turned imessage in cloud off again.

The images were never downloaded at all, and the weird thing is the size of my message went down from 5 GB to 500MB because all the images are gone, including the holiday photos me and my friends exchanged in the imessage group chat recently. Even if you click the "I", there is none. The blue bubbles that should contain the image is blank. Sync is complete / up to date.

I'm not mad. I'm good. BUT i am really annoyed with apple and no suggested fix seems to work with the dissapearing / not downloading images with imessage in the cloud.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Ok, so i got bored and tried this last Monday (Australian time) and now (Saturday - Australian time) i am restoring all my idevices (ipad, iphone) from an old itunes FULL back up (last Monday back up) since all the images in my imessage are gone. I am also restoring the imessage DB of my mac using time machine.

This suggested fix did not work for me. What it gave me is pure headache so I turned imessage in cloud off again.

The images were never downloaded at all, and the weird thing is the size of my message went down from 5 GB to 500MB because all the images are gone, including the holiday photos me and my friends exchanged in the imessage group chat recently. Even if you click the "I", there is none. The blue bubbles that should contain the image is blank. Sync is complete / up to date.

I'm not mad. I'm good. BUT i am really annoyed with apple and no suggested fix seems to work with the dissapearing / not downloading images with imessage in the cloud.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. The headache is a good reason why I don't want to take the chance and risk wasting time just to end up at square one. In my instance at the very least, I can still see the photos in the conversation if I scroll backwards so its not that they aren't there for me.

Reactions: atlchamp

Zenter009

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2020
I'm having the same exact issue (no photos, etc, in the details / info section of each of my messages). Family and friends messages are now missing all of the past photos. All of the images seemingly have downloaded though, because my iPhone storage is showing that iMessage as have 35GB+, however the photos, videos, etc are not showing up within messages. I have had my phone for almost 2 weeks and I cannot imagine that the new processor would take more than 2 weeks to index my messages files.

If anyone solves this, please to report back to help us out!

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I’m suprised no one has stopped in and told you that this has been broken since iCloud messages launched

zz_nosa_r

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Hell
I’m suprised no one has stopped in and told you that this has been broken since iCloud messages launched
Yeah, it’s been buggy since the beginning. i just tried the new suggestion if it will work to cross it out in my list. So now, i can confirm that nothing is working at the moment. I reported this to apple since the launch and up until now its broken. The tickets i raised with support have no updates also. Even the ones i raised in the feedback app.

if there will be anymore suggested fix, i will have to pass until others can confirm it work or until apple acknowledged the issue and provide a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.