Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Creating a thread forcused on the subject of photos, quality nice but not required. What I enjoy most when browsing the photography thread is seeing things from different countries and cultures that are foreign to me, either due to climate, culture or whatever. The lucky folks who get to have snow. The Christmas markets in Germany. Diwali in India. Or new things, such as a Cybertruck in the wild.

Starting off with some pictures of a new shopping cart. You scan everything as you put it in the cart. Checkout is a special lane. As you move through the lane it first checks your items, totals them, and then charges your card. If you put your items in a shopping bag as you take them off the shelf then you just pass through the lane without stopping and your are set to put them in your car. No need to unload the cart so the cashier can scan it and then have to load your shopping bags.

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
What happens if you change your mind about an item and remove it from the cart? Does the cart automatically delete the item's scan or is there a way for you to cancel that scan? Been a while since I've been to Whole Foods but as far as I know the ones in our area do not yet have the scanning carts.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
This is cool, we have had similar things for years, notably Carrefour. It’s extremely efficient!

HDFan

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
What happens if you change your mind about an item and remove it from the cart?

The cart senses that you have removed an item from the cart. Not sure exactly how it works. When I realized I didn't want an item and removed it got a message to contact the attendant. But not really sure.

Evidently this particular store is a pilot store. Not available in the other store I visit.

The one drawback is that the receipt shows in the Whole Foods App. No way to print it out or get a digital copy. You have to go to customer service to get it printed.

Reactions: Clix Pix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.