Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
So i used to be a regular pirate so to speak. I would pirate everything from music to movies to programs...you name it. This past week I started to purchase my music on iTunes instead of pirating and to be honest, i actually feel great about it, its not so bad at all. With all this SOPA **** going on and pirate bay BTJunkie shutting down i decided to try it for a week (Legally) and see what it be like. Ya it drains the wallet a bit but remember back in the day before kazaa and lime wire when people couldn't wait for a cd to come out? Anyway i haven't purchased a CD in 10 some years until now. I actually feel good supporting the artists i like and listen to. I thought I would share this with the mac rumors community to see if anyone has the same view! NOTE*** I AM NOT FOR SOPA OR PIPA NOR AM I A PROMOTOR

(Majority of movies meaning 95% I own have been bought not downloaded)
(Programs tho are a little iffy subject, I'm guilty of downloading those)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I hope you continue to feel good about your decision, TOMIMOT. It's an individual decision and I understand why it's so tempting for people to grab something for free when "nobody is looking", even if others are paying for it.

I pay for my media since I like to set a good example (and I have musical artists as friends) but I find it funny that I pay to get the audio of a song but I also watch the song's official music video (audio+video) for free on YouTube.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The artists who work so hard to create the music you love, thank you.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
So i used to be a regular pirate so to speak. I would pirate everything from music to movies to programs...you name it. This past week I started to purchase my music on iTunes instead of pirating and to be honest, i actually feel great about it, its not so bad at all. With all this SOPA **** going on and pirate bay BTJunkie shutting down i decided to try it for a week (Legally) and see what it be like. Ya it drains the wallet a bit but remember back in the day before kazaa and lime wire when people couldn't wait for a cd to come out? Anyway i haven't purchased a CD in 10 some years until now. I actually feel good supporting the artists i like and listen to. I thought I would share this with the mac rumors community to see if anyone has the same view! NOTE*** I AM NOT FOR SOPA OR PIPA NOR AM I A PROMOTOR

(Majority of movies meaning 95% I own have been bought not downloaded)
(Programs tho are a little iffy subject, I'm guilty of downloading those)

Laws that infringe on your rights should not influence your everyday actions.

This guy pretty much sums up my opinion.

Piracy is an issue of Copyright and IP, which is a legal right and not a human right, it should be up to the democratic process to implement piracy in legal context. This is not the case, therefore I cannot bring myself to care about piracy whether if I made the creation or if I pirate myself. Piracy in a lot of cases such as in the games industry means that not even the original creators are effected.

My piracy habits have changed because of changes in business practices, not moral choices. Game Piracy has raised since I was a teenager because DRM is just that ****ed up. To make a better service than say EA, you just have to make the game available in some form.

Last edited:

RedburnIV

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
So is this just a big pat on the back for you man? Plus wouldn't bands benefit more from you going to see shows instead of buying CDs? There are people who have acquired all of their media by honest means and haven't thought twice about it yet this dudes a martyr for a change of heart. Congratulations.

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You always feel better as you are giving back to the artist, and small independent artists and labels appreciate that.
No matter who they are people should be paid for their works, or even if they give it away via their own websites, shown some appreciation.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I don't feel better when I don't pirate..there must be somthing wrong with me

There's no reward for purchasing legitimately, in fact legit users get punished.

Always on-line Game DRM? Not for pirates.

Compulsory anti-piracy ads that can't be skipped? Not for pirates.

Unkippable movie ads? Not for pirates.

Exploding DRM? Not for pirates.

Locked down platforms? Not for pirates.

In fact pirates provide a copy of the movie that won't ever expire, platform agnostic, fully portable and device/software friendly. They provide a superior service to the media companies in every possible aspect. They are open 24 hours, instant viewing, universal release, subtitles in all languages. You owe nothing to Corporations who ripoff their artists/studios/directors and punish legit users for the illusion of control.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
So is this just a big pat on the back for you man? Plus wouldn't bands benefit more from you going to see shows instead of buying CDs? There are people who have acquired all of their media by honest means and haven't thought twice about it yet this dudes a martyr for a change of heart. Congratulations.

not sure if thats sarcasm or...i wasn't asking for sympathy or any sort of recognition i was simply asking if anyone on here has the same view/outlook on pirating vs actually purchasing copyright material. And answer/opinion to your question ya i do believe artists get more from shows than cd's but look at it like this, if an artist sells lets say a million copies of their latest CD that retails at 10$, thats not a bad pay day at all.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
People should be doing the opposite: boycott the industry and pirate more. I don't give any of my money to the blood sucking, rights infringing, internet censoring copyright industry. I will always give money to independent artists or artists on small record labels but I will not give a single penny to the MAFIAA.

If you go out and spend money on this stuff, you're only funding crap like SOPA, PIPA, ACTA, and whatever else their lobbyists try and cook up and get passed as law. Indeed, when you buy from major labels, hardly anything goes to the actual artist. Go to shows if you want to support your favourite artists.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I started buying my music from iTunes legally too. Not really out of moral reasons but because iTunes downloads are great quality, extremely fast and easy, and come with all the right meta data + digital art etc. Plus my library is never going to be the insane 2k+ songs that other people tote around so it's not a huge toll on my wallet.

I still pirate movies and shows though because the digital model for those purchases continues to blow. There needs to be a good on-demand subscription model that is all inclusive and timely. If I have to wait more than a week after the first air date then it's not worth it to me.

RedburnIV

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
not sure if thats sarcasm or...i wasn't asking for sympathy or any sort of recognition i was simply asking if anyone on here has the same view/outlook on pirating vs actually purchasing copyright material. And answer/opinion to your question ya i do believe artists get more from shows than cd's but look at it like this, if an artist sells lets say a million copies of their latest CD that retails at 10$, thats not a bad pay day at all.

My bad man sorry for the dick post. It's awesome you're taking the higher route. And I just thought most of the album sales goes to the record companies. I'm sure most have downloaded or pirated something at least once but it's a decent thing to support an artist.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
Indeed, when you buy from major labels, hardly anything goes to the actual artist. Go to shows if you want to support your favourite artists.

Do you have any personal experience or do you just spout the same BS that everyone else does? When a record label 'invests' in an artist, they spend quite a bit of money :

1. Advance (and royalties later)
2. Studio recording, mixing, mastering and all the costs associated (food, drinks, etc)
3. Session musicians
4. Producers
5. Manufacturing and eventually.. marketing.

I've worked with labels, and I've released my work as an independent artist (the first question I got was.. "where can i download this for free?")

Eventually I stopped making music as an independent artist because all the hours/days/weeks spent making music didn't provide food on the table or rent for the house. Same goes for all the studio musicians/engineers, etc.

So please stop using the same crap excuse that artists are 'slaves' and the labels are monsters that suck the life out of them. By you downloading illegally, you certainy are not contributing anything to the artist or the many people who work on an album/song :rolleyes:

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
They're also not taking anything away from them, because most people that pirate stuff wouldn't have bought it anyway. ":rolleyes:"

Nonsense. This is the biggest copout, rationalization argument ever, and it's just not true.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
There's no reward for purchasing legitimately, in fact legit users get punished.

Always on-line Game DRM? Not for pirates.

Compulsory anti-piracy ads that can't be skipped? Not for pirates.

Unkippable movie ads? Not for pirates.

Exploding DRM? Not for pirates.

Locked down platforms? Not for pirates.

In fact pirates provide a copy of the movie that won't ever expire, platform agnostic, fully portable and device/software friendly. They provide a superior service to the media companies in every possible aspect. They are open 24 hours, instant viewing, universal release, subtitles in all languages. You owe nothing to Corporations who ripoff their artists/studios/directors and punish legit users for the illusion of control.

The other great reason is the extended release dates for movies. When a hit movie is released weeks or months before in the US, people in the rest of the world get the hype. But no legitimate means to view the movie, hence downloads.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Do you have any personal experience or do you just spout the same BS that everyone else does? When a record label 'invests' in an artist, they spend quite a bit of money :

2. Studio recording, mixing, mastering and all the costs associated (food, drinks, etc)
3. Session musicians
4. Producers

I've worked with labels, and I've released my work as an independent artist (the first question I got was.. "where can i download this for free?")

Eventually I stopped making music as an independent artist because all the hours/days/weeks spent making music didn't provide food on the table or rent for the house. Same goes for all the studio musicians/engineers, etc.

So please stop using the same crap excuse that artists are 'slaves' and the labels are monsters that suck the life out of them. By you downloading illegally, you certainy are not contributing anything to the artist or the many people who work on an album/song :rolleyes:

If you go to a show, more of the proceeds go to the artist than if you buy an album. That is a fact for mainstream labels.

There's two YouTube artists I like quite a bit. One is independent and the other is on a very small label which recruits talent purely from YouTube. They both give their stuff away free and give people the opportunity to buy or donate if they wish.

I know for a fact that one of these artists - thanks to a combination of their music and vlogging activities - has just got a house. He makes a living mainly from YouTube with no big labels involved.

The other one isn't all that open about those sorts of things, but he doesn't use recording studios for most of his music, he just records a lot of it on his computer and uploads directly to YouTube. He's a YouTube partner so he, too, will get paid from that as well as fan donations and album purchases without any greedy labels taking a cut.

Those are just two examples I happen to be the most familiar with, there are plenty more out there. The fact you tried to do that kind of thing and gave up doesn't mean it's not possible, it just means you gave up too easy ;)

Studies have shown that pirates buy more legitimate content than their counterparts. We usually spend our money where it matters, like the Indie scene.

This.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

3. Session musicians
4. Producers

Record labels are antiquated dinosaurs. There are entire communities that exist online only and produce enough income to live. You should try harder and release better quality content. The hateful scum that just refuse to pay for anything is a very very small percentage.

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Record labels are antiquated dinosaurs. There are entire communities that exist online only and produce enough income to live. You should try harder and release better music.

Exactly. Back when mass distribution and recording required loads of "investment" from record labels, they had a purpose, but nowadays everyone has a recording studio and distribution network in their houses and pockets and labels are obsolete.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Exactly. Back when mass distribution and recording required loads of "investment" from record labels, they had a purpose, but nowadays everyone has a recording studio and distribution network in their houses and pockets and labels are obsolete.

The internet has given power back to the Artists, this is true for Music, Movies, (Traditional) Artists, TV Shows and Games.

My sister has BUILT a house purely from Furry Art commissions.

There is some excellent music that will never make it to a record label because "its not profitable" according to industry "knowledge".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6blLslT9M

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.