Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanbusby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Turks and Caicos islands
Ok I have a new macbbook Pro (15.4inch).
I have learn't a while back that Apple were going to bring out the new 17 inch version. It was only today though that I sat here and priced up the new 17 inch version. I went on to the store and picked the exact same configuration that I have on my 15 inch version and they come out at about the same price (except the 17inch has more USB ports and firewire ports and a faster processor).
An ideas if Apple will let me give them my 15.4inch version back and take away a 17inch version? I would expect to pay a little of course

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Depends when you bought your existing laptop. If you have it for a few days or maybe a week or 2 at most they might. If you've had it for a couple of months, no chance.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Welcome to the world of technology. Something new is always coming out. You have a kick-ass 15-inch MBP. Just enjoy it because I don't think Apple won't take it back if it is open. I assume you have a BTO (because you mentioned configuration), so they won't take it back at all.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
So which part is causing you to be pissed at Apple? Just that they came out with a new MacBook that's competitavely priced? That you're assuming they won't let you switch before you've even asked them? Something I'm missing here?

As robbieduncan said, it's going to have a lot to do with how long you have had your MacBook. If it's been less than two weeks you can return it (minus 10%) and just get a new computer. If you're nice (and will be spending more money than your original purchase price), sometimes they will let you return it without the restocking fee to allow you to bump up to a more expensive purchase. Not always, though. If you've had it for longer than two weeks you may just be out of luck (unless you sell it to someone and use that money to get a new computer - but that will involve you most likely taking a pretty decent loss).

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
You must have not been following technology for the last oh say 50 years. Something faster, better is always around the corner. Yes the 15.4" MBP 2.16GHz/1GB/7200 RPM HD is still $100 more then the same 17" config. ($2899 vs $2799), so Apple is still selling the 15" at the same cost so they did not rip you off. You computer is still the same cost to Apple.

That is like buying a cheeseburger at McDonalds and tomorrow the double cheeseburger comes out for the same cost.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
grapes911 said:
Welcome to the world of technology. Something new is always coming out. You have a kick-ass 15-inch MBP. Just enjoy it because I don't think Apple won't take it back if it is open. I assume you have a BTO (because you mentioned configuration), so they won't take it back at all.

Actually the trouble is no so much "something new is always coming out", it is more with "something new came out, why is that old junk still overpriced?"

If you soup up a 15.4" MBP to have the faster processor of the 17", you will find that it also costs significantly more than the 17" version with you suffering the penalty of still having a smaller screen, FW400 port, and no DL dvd burners...

The 15.4" as it stands is currently really really bad value, not that Apple machines are ever good value for money either... :rolleyes:

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
bodeh6 said:
That is like buying a cheeseburger at McDonalds and tomorrow the double cheeseburger comes out for the same cost.
Actually, it'd be more like McDonalds coming out with the double cheeseburger that was cheaper than the regular cheeseburger. (Which they don't do because it doesn't make any sense.)

Still haven't figured out why Apple did that. :confused:

...So I would be a little upset also, but that's life. I was at Staples a few days back and I spend $300 on my Sony digital Camera a year ago and now a better Sony camera is only $220. That same day I saw a HP printer that was better and $40 cheaper than the HP printer I bought 6 months ago.

Oh well.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Me too darn it!

Those nasty people at Apple just won't stop tempting us with new gear.

I paid $2700 for my 300MHz Beige G3 Tower and now a $500 mini leaves is in the dust.

Grrrrrrrrr!

EricChunky

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2006
London
you chose apple, you signed a hidden contract of willing to be ripped off.

they produce "top quality" goods at "top prices"
However sometimes "top quality" goods still have a littlbe bit of "quality" issues, but hey people here will tell you to go check out the 1/3 priced Dell forum and said they can be worse. :p

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
EricChunky said:
you chose apple, you signed a hidden contract of willing to be ripped off.

they produce "top quality" goods at "top prices"
However sometimes "top quality" goods still have a littlbe bit of "quality" issues, but hey people here will tell you to go check out the 1/3 priced Dell forum and said they can be worse. :p

I wouldn't go as far to say that Apples costs 300% more than Dells though :rolleyes:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
kwajaln said:
I do believe this the new official CRY-BABY thread ! ! !

Enjoy it while you have it!!!

Agreed.

Boo-hoo, it's not fair. People are getting a bargain on the 17" MBP. I'm Pissed at Apple™.

And for all your complaining, I'm just going to tell you that if the 15" and 17" were specced exactly the same except for the screen size and resolution, I'd pay for the 15" and would possibly pay a little extra. You pay for what you want, and I wouldn't want a 17" if a 15" was $100 more expensive. I have a 12" PB right now and 15" is the maximum screen size I would ever get, and that would take a lot of convincing, as I'd much rather have a new 12" or 13" MBP (or MacBook) than a 15" or 17" MBP.

Anyway, Apple didn't rip you off. You just got a smaller MBP for the same cost that you would have for a 17" version of your MBP. Yes, they're the same price if specced identically (actually, the difference is like $15 Aussie dollars.....the 15.4" being $15 more expensive), but nobody forced you not to wait. Apple doesn't really owe it to you to make the 17" higher priced so you feel better about your 15". Just accept it.

nathanbusby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
Turks and Caicos islands
Alright alright!!!

I only asked the question and yes I am aware that there is always something new coming out. It just would have been nice to be told at the time of purchase, (I bought the MBP in Feb and didn't take delivery until mid March) that they would be bringing out a 17" version and did I want to wait for that. They did however have my money and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the 2.13GHZ version!!
I don't like to sound like a "CRY BABY" but I hate being kept in the dark when there are other options on the horizon!!!
I do however love this new machine (my 1st Apple Computer). Sat in front of my work Laptop the other day( windows XP) and thought what a load of crap!

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
nathanbusby said:
I only asked the question and yes I am aware that there is always something new coming out. It just would have been nice to be told at the time of purchase, (I bought the MBP in Feb and didn't take delivery until mid March) that they would be bringing out a 17" version and did I want to wait for that. They did however have my money and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to the 2.13GHZ version!!
I don't like to sound like a "CRY BABY" but I hate being kept in the dark when there are other options on the horizon!!!
I do however love this new machine (my 1st Apple Computer). Sat in front of my work Laptop the other day( windows XP) and thought what a load of crap!

Employees at the Apple store are not really told about what's upcoming; it's supposed to be as much of a secret to them as it is to us. Expecting them to warn you about products that may or may not be on the horizon is unreasonable. Sorry you didn't know that.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Yeah, this thread is unnecessarily rude in a couple of places, especially considering the OP is a newbie.

Way to make 'em feel welcome. :eek:

That said, everyone is right, though, about the technology changing so fast, especially lately. There's no guarantee that they won't come out with something better for the same price the moment you walk out of the store. It's just the chance you take.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Sale Next Week

Sorry you got roughed up, bud. I think it was the choice of wording in your title that bit people. Perhaps be "ticked" or "annoyed" next time. ;)

I'm reminded of some sitcom (I don't remember which), where a character got a job selling vacuums or cars or something and got fired because he kept telling customers, "don't buy it today - we're going to have a huge sale next week."

Let's talk about what really p's me off. My local grocery store just can't figure out that you're supposed to charge less for quantity. They often have things priced so that it's cheaper to buy multiple smaller quantities than one large quantity. For example, they may have pop at 6.99 for a 24-pack or 3.33 for a 12-pack. Don't make me think while I'm shopping! I just want to assume more is cheaper!

Then again, is it not their right to price their products so that they can move whichever stock they want to move? Perhaps Apple believes they get more publicity from someone walking around with a 17 inch than a 15 inch. If we're targetting switchers at the moment, impress them with your best hardware!

OK, I'll stop rambling. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.