Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Just getting word in from my news sources that a plane has gone down in Delaware, initial reports say crash was at 6:45 AM with 17 people on board.

EDIT: It's a C-5 HUGE military transport plane. Crashed outside Dover AFB.

Here's a picture from wire services:

story.site.close.wtxf.jpg

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I go to Bombay Hook Refuge all the time to bird watch - its right in the approach path to Dover - these things are huge.

Hope no one ie hurt too badly. It will be interesting to see if they ground anything.

I forget - is this a Lockheed or Boeing plane?

Edit: It's a Lockheed product.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Seems like all survived...

Link

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- An Air Force C-5 cargo jet carrying 17 people crashed and broke into pieces Monday while trying to make an emergency landing near Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Air Force and FAA officials said.

No one was killed, but several aboard were injured, Air Force Tech. Sgt. Melissa Phillips, a spokeswoman for the base, told The Associated Press.

Pentagon sources told CNN the aircraft "declared an in-flight emergency for a No. 2 engine flameout."

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
The C5 has one of the best safety records of all aircraft used by the US military. I'm surprised to see this.

A flameout in a single engine shouldn't have caused this airplane to go down. Something else went wrong for sure.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
aquajet said:
The C5 has one of the best safety records of all aircraft used by the US military. I'm surprised to see this.

A flameout in a single engine shouldn't have caused this airplane to go down. Something else went wrong for sure.

Agreed. The slides look like they worked as planned though, which is a very good thing™

skoker

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I wonder why they did not try to dump fuel? Does that model aircraft even have that capability? (I should know, but I try and stay on the civil aviation side of things :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.