Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noanker

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
Reading all of these posts somehow reminds me of that old Twilight Zone episode, Obsolete Man.
g137161542116049955.jpg

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
And how many of those years were dedicated to slowing the device under the guise of "support"?

iPad Mini 1 is slower than a $100 Android Tablet.They should never have supported it beyond 7.
iPad Mini 1 is slow as the $100 Android Tablet. Because iPad Mini 1 is $100 Tablet see eBay auction.

Reactions: TRDmanAE86

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
iPad Mini 1 is slow as the $100 Android Tablet. Because iPad Mini 1 is $100 Tablet see eBay auction.

At a friend's school, there iPads are the iPad Mini 1's! Both are still on iOS 6 and their tablets fly compared to the competition's!

on the bright side, the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S can be jailbroken to downgrade to iOS 6!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Except those $100 tablets were slow from the get go.ipad Mini 1 was super fast on iOS 7 and below.
I don't have an issue with slowness/lag/stutter or what have you in my devices.
This is impossible.I have a Mini 1 and literally every tasks takes a ton of time and a lot of lag.I can't even browse with more than a single tab.Although it may be that I am just used to the Air 2 speed

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Except those $100 tablets were slow from the get go.ipad Mini 1 was super fast on iOS 7 and below.

This is impossible.I have a Mini 1 and literally every tasks takes a ton of time and a lot of lag.I can't even browse with more than a single tab.Although it may be that I am just used to the Air 2 speed
You test iPad Mini 1 iOS 9.2 vs $100 Android Tablet with Android 5.1.1 or 6.0?
Not forget since iOS 8 has iOS complete protection system.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...ion-under-ios-8-making-handover-to-cops-moot/

By Android since version 5.0, see review from Nexus 6. The Android developer disable from Android 5.0 the protection system. And see device is smoother. But then you has not the protection.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Of course, I forgot; its there and I don't notice it. Silly me.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Because iPad 2 runs like a completely new device.You should try it out.Than you will see the atrocity Apple did on that tablet

Besides preformance, it's also biased on the UI. Some people may not prefer the newer Jony Ives UI. (There are jailbreaks too to rejuvenate the old iOS 6 vibes on the newer iOS's versions/devices that cannot take advantage of this loophole):)

Its a perfect balance of performance and functionality.I dont want too much functionality if it bricks my device

Great point and, I understand your point of view. jailbreaking is risky these days. However once on iOS 6, you can keep it stock and, don't have to jailbreak it again.

The jailbreak on iOS 7.x 8.x 9.x etc takes advantage of the loophole that Apple is still signing for tHose devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2). The only reason it exists is because, when upgrading from iOS 4.x (the software it came with) it can't jump straight to iOS 9. Instead, it has to update to iOS 6.x and then go to the newest signed version. This jailbreak takes advantage of the loophole and, gives you the opportunity to downgrade!

Overall, if you already have a newer iPad, this would give you the best of both worlds!

Yeah it may not be EZ but, after this laborious task, the reward pays off! ;)

Reactions: Radon87000

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
Well it's not a fact.iOS 9 performs worse than 8.4.1 on my Mini

You know it's funny.When I type "Planned Obsolescence" the browser suggests "Apple" as its first suggestion and in the search results the entire page only has Apple.Yet fanboys continue to be in denial

Same can be said bout Google and searching "Data Mining by". Also, how can you say his statement is his opinion but display yours more as fact? iOS 8 had MANY issues as well. That is a fact.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes.Its bricked.You cant open more than one/two tabs on iPad Mini 1 nor can you type without 2-3 second input lag.The performance is worse than those $50 Kindle tablets
And even that rather unique experience is still quite a ways of what bricked would be.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
And even that rather unique experience is still quite a ways of what bricked would be.
Let me ask you something.You buy a $250 tablet some years ago and are able to do web browsing,navigate the OS,type documents as fast as current gen iPads.Now that same tablet is incapable of performing all of these functions effectively and gets its ass beaten by cheap ass plastic Android and Amazon Tablets.The device is pretty much near bricked for me.I only use it for as storage for movies and such as thats the only thing its good now.Unless horrible and atrocious loading tabs and constant reloads dont bother you

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let me ask you something.You buy a $250 tablet some years ago and are able to do web browsing,navigate the OS,type documents as fast as current gen iPads.Now that same tablet is incapable of performing all of these functions effectively and gets its ass beaten by cheap ass plastic Android and Amazon Tablets.The device is pretty much near bricked for me.I only use it for as storage for movies and such as thats the only thing its good now.Unless horrible and atrocious loading tabs and constant reloads dont bother you
So it's something you decide is not as useful anymore to you, but nothing actually bricked or anything like that.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not having any of these issues on my iPad 2, it's not a 6s by any means, but it's better than it has been in years.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That can very well be something that someone decides for themselves. But it's not bricked or anything like that.
What do you mean "Decide"?You CANNOT open more than a single tab and even when you do it takes 3 seconds for it to open.You consider this usable?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What do you mean "Decide"?You CANNOT open more than a single tab and even when you do it takes 3 seconds for it to open.You consider this usable?
Everyone has their own experience depending on what they are actually dealing with and based on what they do with their devices and how they use them, among other things. Everyone decides for themselves what's good or bad for them. If someone is experiencing some worse things then they would likely decide something is worse for them, while those who aren't experince those types of worse things likely wouldn't. In any case though, at least we cleared up the whole "bricked" part, which is what I was commenting on.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRDmanAE86

Stickharuhi

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Need:
video evidence

Can upload to youtube?

Which iOS version on your ipad mini? Test pls with iOS 9.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.