Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Not too bad. I had to lower the settings to medium to get a smooth frame rate. Not sure how to tell exactly what the FR is, but its smooth to the eyes so not a big deal. And it still looks excellent. Great graphics. And as expected the fans are on full blast the entire time playing. Im using an external mouse and kb because its very hard playing on the mac mouse/kb. Over all its not bad. Not as good as I expected, but usable all day like this.

Next I will be playing Civ 5 and the Simcity games. Those should run full detail without issue. What other games are great on the rMBP?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Not too bad. I had to lower the settings to medium to get a smooth frame rate. Not sure how to tell exactly what the FR is, but its smooth to the eyes so not a big deal. And it still looks excellent. Great graphics. And as expected the fans are on full blast the entire time playing. Im using an external mouse and kb because its very hard playing on the mac mouse/kb. Over all its not bad. Not as good as I expected, but usable all day like this.

Next I will be playing Civ 5 and the Simcity games. Those should run full detail without issue. What other games are great on the rMBP?

The only one I've played is Diablo III which runs pretty well although I can't remember the settings I use. The fans run full blast with that too also.

acastic

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
I just bought Pillars of Eternity from the Steam summer sale and it looks and plays great! Most of the settings are on medium.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I only really play knights of the old republic on mine. works brilliantly (but it is old). I just wish they'd port over the second one now...

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

Hi,

I'm assuming that you're talking about the model with the dedicated GPU, in which case, this link will help you: R9 M370X.

This will give you an idea for an array of different titles, although nothing is listed for the maximum resolution of the retina display, which I am assuming you're playing on. Some of these are Windows-only titles and furthermore I am not sure if you have any interest in a Windows partition solely for games but it should still give you a solid understanding of what the chip is capable of.

You can always sacrifice resolution and settings for performance, of course. I hope this helps.

EDIT: I missed 13'' and read it as 15''. In that case, this link (Iris 6100) should help you. I will leave the remainder of the post for any users interested in the R9 M370X. Sorry about that, but hope this link helps you.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I have a question how do you lower the Frame Rate of a Game in the MacBook ?

I don't think you would want to do that. In terms of framerates, the higher the better. The goal of most is at least 60 frames per second, but anything under that isn't necessarily unplayable. If you wish to increase them, using lower visual settings and disabling features in the game, as well as playing on a lower resolution can help with that. Of course, you are sacrificing how it will appear visually, but you can make the game playable, and this does not always work if the hardware just isn't up to par with the specific title.

If you want to lower them and have a completely unplayable experience, do the opposite.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
I don't think you would want to do that. In terms of framerates, the higher the better. The goal of most is at least 60 frames per second, but anything under that isn't necessarily unplayable. If you wish to increase them, using lower visual settings and disabling features in the game, as well as playing on a lower resolution can help with that. Of course, you are sacrificing how it will appear visually, but you can make the game playable, and this does not always work if the hardware just isn't up to par with the specific title.

If you want to lower them and have a completely unplayable experience, do the opposite.

But where and how can I do it in System Prefrences ?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
I have a question how do you lower the Frame Rate of a Game in the MacBook ?

Usually the game itself will have settings in the menu or some kind of command to cap fps. For example, blizzard games have that option in settings (or you can type the command in game). Which game are you asking about?

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Usually the game itself will have settings in the menu or some kind of command to cap fps. For example, blizzard games have that option in settings (or you can type the command in game). Which game are you asking about?
I was asking in general for all games.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I don't think there's a way to see the FPS in batman arkham city on the mac unless running the benchmark (i'd love to be wrong about this)

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I was asking in general for all games.

Yes, each game has its own set of video settings in their menu system within the game. In which, you can choose from a variety of fullscreen resolutions, and windowed modes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.