Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
hi,

Just bought a 5K iMac and am looking for a usb ODD to rip music, burn DVDS, etc. I saw this Pioneer BDR-XD05S. It says it's Mac compatible but you need 3rd party software to play blu-Ray movies.

What software would you recommend? Something easy to use would be appreciated. I don't really see a need to burn blu-Ray discs.

Thank you for your time!

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
hi,

Just bought a 5K iMac and am looking for a usb ODD to rip music, burn DVDS, etc. I saw this Pioneer BDR-XD05S. It says it's Mac compatible but you need 3rd party software to play blu-Ray movies.

What software would you recommend? Something easy to use would be appreciated. I don't really see a need to burn blu-Ray discs.

Thank you for your time!
For the last year or so I have been using both Mac DVD Ripper Pro and MacXDVD Ripper Pro which easily rips some of my 2000 Plus DVD Collection. Both Software(s) cannot rip Blue-Ray. Both have a free trial period to see how it works on your computer.

Please note that MacDVD Ripper Pro lets you rip Free five(5) complete DVD's as their trial period.

I rip using two(2) Apple SuperDrives connected to each of my two(2) Mac Minis.

Last edited:

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I've had others recommend MacGo, too, so I'll probably go wth that.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Does Macgo support Blu-ray Menu? I have not found such information from its website.
It draws it's own basic text-based menu. Exactly like this:
Macgo-Windows-Blu-ray-Player-Latest-Version-Download.png

As I see it, it just doesn't support the BD-J Java runtime. May be because of licensing issues?

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
So, I bought a Pioneer BDR-XS06 and plugged it into the iMac with the usb 3 cable provided. Nothing. Tried inserting a CD. Nothing. Plugged it into my MacBook Pro (late 2012), also with usb 3.0. Nothing.

Is it possible it's not drawing enough power from the single usb 3 cable? I've read that many ODD units require a double usb cable. Or, more likely it's a defective player? I contacted the seller through Amazon and they are shipping a new unit free.

Thanks!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
So, I bought a Pioneer BDR-XS06 and plugged it into the iMac with the usb 3 cable provided. Nothing. Tried inserting a CD. Nothing. Plugged it into my MacBook Pro (late 2012), also with usb 3.0. Nothing.

Is it possible it's not drawing enough power from the single usb 3 cable? I've read that many ODD units require a double usb cable. Or, more likely it's a defective player? I contacted the seller through Amazon and they are shipping a new unit free.

Thanks!

I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05 with that type of USB cable and it works with only 1 USB port to play DVDs, haven't tried burning anything (which is when the 2nd USB port is supposed to be needed.)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Does the Pioneer drive "show up" in System Profiler?
As being an attached device?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I still maintain that the best way to play Blu-ray movies on a Mac is to install Windows through Bootcamp and use a proper player like PowerDVD there.

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I have a Pioneer BDR-XD05 with that type of USB cable and it works with only 1 USB port to play DVDs, haven't tried burning anything (which is when the 2nd USB port is supposed to be needed.)
Thank you!

OP:

Does the Pioneer drive "show up" in System Profiler?
As being an attached device?

No, it doesn't. Under "disc burning" it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on."

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
tiger wrote:
[[ No, it doesn't. Under "disc burning" it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on." ]]

Just some thoughts...

Have you tried a different USB cable?

Did the drive come with a special USB "Y-cable"?
If so, have you tried that?

Did the drive come with an external power supply block?
Have you tried that?

Could just be a bad one "out of the box".
See how the replacement does...

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
tiger wrote:
[[ No, it doesn't. Under "disc burning" it says, "No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on." ]]

Just some thoughts...

Have you tried a different USB cable?

This was it. I have never used usb 3.0 for anything but a thumb drive and had no other cable. When the new drive arrived today, I thought I'd try the cable with the new one on the first drive and right away I heard it whirl. Works perfectly.

I would have never thought it would be something like a 1 foot cable. Occam's razor!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.