Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttibsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2005
The following pops up when I tried to play a DVD on my new iMac.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Drive Region Code must be initialized before playing

You can only change the Drive Region Code 5 more times

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Huh? Can anyone expand on this for me? What the heck is a Drive Region Code? Which one should I set it on? Once set, why would I ever bother changing it?

Thanks

John

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Each country (well, really each region) has a different DVD code. If the DVD you're playing is fully legitimate, it'll be the right code and you wont have to worry about this again. If not, you've got five more tries to get the right code in before it locks onto whatever your sixth disk has.

See here for more. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Basically it's to stop you going to Asia and buying a movie for quarter of the price - the movie companies want to make as much money as possible.

I don't know all the codes off the top of my head but the common ones are:

1 - USA and Canada
2 - UK and Europe
4 - Australia and NZ

Apple is actually breaching the NZ Fair Trading Act by region-locking their systems, but now I'm getting off topic :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.