Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The only price cut I saw was no more than $20.00. I'm still glad I traded my original PS4 when I did, because my GameStop seems to be receiving a lot of used PS4's. And the $150.00 trade in ends in three weeks (In my
Area.)

I did the same thing going from xb1 to xb1-s, a great trade in deal. nobody woulda taken my scratched up and beat up but functioning fatty in good conscience,

a retailer, especially GameStop, that will refurb it and knew what they were getting into when they agreed to accept my trade, that's more than OK by me. They gauge their customers plenty and usually aren't competitive with Amazon/Best buy, etc.

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
How are you guys liking your PS4 Pro's now that some time has past?

I think I'm liking mine more and more. The only problem I'm having is I'm leaning toward PS4 Pro enabled games more than judging a game based on its own merits. I'm usually more of an experience person than technical specs (which is why I prefer Apple products) but man 4k games look good.

I only have one game that uses HDR (Elder Scrolls Online) and I'm not overly impressed. Currently downloading Deus Ex so I'm going to do some comparisons.

EDIT : ESO was recently updated due to HDR being too dark and I havent played it since the update.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How are you guys liking your PS4 Pro's now that some time has past?

I think I'm liking mine more and more. The only problem I'm having is I'm leaning toward PS4 Pro enabled games more than judging a game based on its own merits. I'm usually more of an experience person than technical specs (which is why I prefer Apple products) but man 4k games look good.

I only have one game that uses HDR (Elder Scrolls Online) and I'm not overly impressed. Currently downloading Deus Ex so I'm going to do some comparisons.

EDIT : ESO was recently updated due to HDR being too dark and I havent played it since the update.

I'm enjoying my Pro. Everything looks great on my Samsung 4K (SUHD/HDR10) I'm playing a few games that are Native 4K, which looks brilliant.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ratchet still has my number 1 for the best looking PS4 Pro title.

I've got a good stack of Pro support games now, and it definitely stands out from them.

Worst PS4 pro upgrade = Knack
It's not the greatest game but I redownloaded the 40+ gigs only to find the PS4 pro update whilst improving resolution actually has shadows and lighting effects on objects missing ??? Hardly graphically intense game even with the particles flying if you compare it directly to Ratchet with the nuts and bolts flying everywhere and far more happening on screen with greater fidelity. To have a PS4 Pro game that outside if resolution looks worse than standard PS4 is totally against Sony's own pro mandate, and given this is a Sony published game its inexcusable...

cynics

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
Ratchet still has my number 1 for the best looking PS4 Pro title.

I've got a good stack of Pro support games now, and it definitely stands out from them.

Worst PS4 pro upgrade = Knack
It's not the greatest game but I redownloaded the 40+ gigs only to find the PS4 pro update whilst improving resolution actually has shadows and lighting effects on objects missing ??? Hardly graphically intense game even with the particles flying if you compare it directly to Ratchet with the nuts and bolts flying everywhere and far more happening on screen with greater fidelity. To have a PS4 Pro game that outside if resolution looks worse than standard PS4 is totally against Sony's own pro mandate, and given this is a Sony published game its inexcusable...

I haven't tried Rachet and Clank while I heard it looks amazing it's not my kind of game.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided looks amazing to me, by far my favorite. I can't help from stare at Jensons hair. For a console game I feel it rivals PC. While not exclusive to the Pro I really like how clothing has its own physics (clothes blow in the wind and move separately from the characters) instead of static clothing like other games. It subtle but very noticeable.

Digital foundry showed some FPS drops but in game I don't notice anything at all.

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I havent turned mine on in about 4 weeks now and having buyers remorse that I made such a silly, quick purchase but thats what I do with tech. :)

I will get to it eventually but my backlog of games is on the XB1S and really enjoying playing on that platform much more than the PSN.

I have Uncharted and Bloodborne on my backlog so looking forward to utilizing it more and also when other games get the Pro patch if you will.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I havent turned mine on in about 4 weeks now and having buyers remorse that I made such a silly, quick purchase but thats what I do with tech. :)

I will get to it eventually but my backlog of games is on the XB1S and really enjoying playing on that platform much more than the PSN.

I have Uncharted and Bloodborne on my backlog so looking forward to utilizing it more and also when other games get the Pro patch if you will.

But in any case, there will be those future tempting titles that made you glad you purchased the Pro when you did. I'm just here to support your decision (And mine too.)

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So now that the Pro has been out for a while, and more and more games are utilizing it: How big of a difference does it really make? Do games really look that much different/better? Was it worth the upgrade? How loud are these beasts under stress?

ILUVAPPLE69

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2016
All I play is Call of Duty and Infinite Warfare runs smoother and at a higher resolution than on the regular PS4. Black Ops 3 however doesn't run at all due to extreme framerate issues so that has to be played on a regular PS4.

Exiting to the home screen while playing a game is still extremely laggy regardless of what PS4 you are on. This makes me mad because Sony said the PS4 Pro had an extra gig of RAM to deal with this.

All in all, performance gains are marginal and if you don't have the extra money just lying around for this don't even bother.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
All I play is Call of Duty and Infinite Warfare runs smoother and at a higher resolution than on the regular PS4. Black Ops 3 however doesn't run at all due to extreme framerate issues so that has to be played on a regular PS4.

Exiting to the home screen while playing a game is still extremely laggy regardless of what PS4 you are on. This makes me mad because Sony said the PS4 Pro had an extra gig of RAM to deal with this.

All in all, performance gains are marginal and if you don't have the extra money just lying around for this don't even bother.

I disagree with this. My experience with the Pro thus far has been outstanding. I have zero issues with any lag exiting to the home screen from the current game I'm playing and then switching back.

If you have a 4K/HDR TV, the Pro is a huge advantage for games that have been patched for 4K. Aside from that, game load times and software updates are vastly improved with speed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I actually did at first have some lag when exiting to home screen however that was fixed a long while back.

Honestly my Pro is faster for going back to home than my Xbox one S.

I've not had any other issues some have had and my pro experience has been generally great. I have a stack of pro optimised titles in my collection and look forward to boost mode when it's released to the public.

Most of titles I'm playing in 4K (or 4K checkerboard) look absolutely amazing and when they do hit native 4K they truly look wow.

Looking forward to Horizon Beyond Dawn and Mass Effect which both look amazing in 4K (albeit checkerboard)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Biggest waste of money I spent in 2016 in gaming.

Honestly shouldn't have bought into the hype and just let it pass by and enjoyed my XB1S until Scorpio.

Trying to sell it but even the market is terrible for it. You live, you learn!

Reactions: ILUVAPPLE69

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Honestly shouldn't have bought into the hype and just let it pass by and enjoyed my XB1S until Scorpio.

I love mine, but I'm coming from a PS2.

Suspended
Sep 15, 2012

Have you tried eBay? I was looking for one last week and used ones were going for ~$360.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Have you tried eBay? I was looking for one last week and used ones were going for ~$360.

i hate to deal with eBay but may post it in the marketplace here first and go from there.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Ha, I didn't realize the Pro was so polarizing! ;)

I think I will wait for the inevitable slim version that is smaller, quieter and consumes less power.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

My opinion on eBay. Is I would not sell anything high-end electronic that is a higher dollar amount on eBay. The amount of fraud on eBay and buyers making false claims that the product is broken, didn't receive it or trying to scam the seller are horrible.

PayPal now offers six-month buyer protection, where the buyer can make a claim within that timeframe and PayPal ultimately will come after the seller. To Me, it's not worth it and there are multiple threads on here discussing the horrid experiences honest people have gotten scammed out of. I would sell locally or trade in.

Honestly, $360.00 for a used PS4 Pro isn't a great deal considering sale prices and other incentives in store or online for a new console. I would rather just pay the difference of $40 and purchase new to avoid being out all that money over someone trying to defraud you. But that's me.

And selling locally would likely be more lucrative, being the console is so new and somebody would be willing to probably pay close to your asking price.

Reactions: ILUVAPPLE69

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
PayPal now offers six-month buyer protection, where the buyer can make a claim within that timeframe and PayPal ultimately will come after the seller. To Me, it's not worth it and there are multiple threads on here discussing the horrid experiences honest people have gotten scammed out of. I would sell locally or trade in.

Yeah, I've got all this cool stuff to sell, but have just been going to the local retro and used shops to sell them instead so I won't have to deal with buyer scams.

I think I will wait for the inevitable slim version that is smaller, quieter and consumes less power.

My prediction is that the PS4 PRO Slim will be out when the PS5 is released and the regular PS4 Slim will be retired.

I was going to get the PS4 PRO over last holiday during the specials but decided to wait as well...

Swisspo

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
Ohio
When I thought I couldn't love The Last of Us anymore or that it couldn't look any better.. I played it on my 65'' 4K LG with HDR.. Man oh man it looks gorgeous!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When I thought I couldn't love The Last of Us anymore or that it couldn't look any better.. I played it on my 65'' 4K LG with HDR.. Man oh man it looks gorgeous!

It is a beatiful game remastered. I played it before I upgraded to my Samsung Quantom Dot 4K, so it would have been nice to see it in a higher definition. But an amazing game and looking forward to the remastered version.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I was so looking forward to asking Santa for one over the holiday season to play Last Guardian, but when I found out it didn't come with a 4K UHD BR drive, i decided to wait.

In my case, the media features of the PS3 is what got used 90% of the time. I actually sort-of seriously considered the XBOS because it did have full 4k support.... until a friend mentioned that it's OS is based off of Windows. ugh

I've been researching h265 lately, and according to some sites, it seems like the PS4 does not have hardware support for this codec (which could explain the lack of 4k UHD BR support).

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was so looking forward to asking Santa for one over the holiday season to play Last Guardian, but when I found out it didn't come with a 4K UHD BR drive, i decided to wait.

In my case, the media features of the PS3 is what got used 90% of the time. I actually sort-of seriously considered the XBOS because it did have full 4k support.... until a friend mentioned that it's OS is based off of Windows. ugh

I've been researching h265 lately, and according to some sites, it seems like the PS4 does not have hardware support for this codec (which could explain the lack of 4k UHD BR support).

Yeah, you would think that the PS4 Pro would've had a 4K UHD drive - but Sony does want you to stream their 4K Media.

But in order to compete with Scorpio, which will more-than-likely have a 4K UHD drive (much needed if you are going to supply 4K native games in physical disc form), the PS5 will need to have one as well.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I want the pro since I have a 4k tv, but really don't want to spend the same amount on the console that I spent on the PS4 at launch in 2013.

I'm hoping it drops in price when Scorpio comes out.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
Yeah, you would think that the PS4 Pro would've had a 4K UHD drive - but Sony does want you to stream their 4K Media.

But in order to compete with Scorpio, which will more-than-likely have a 4K UHD drive (much needed if you are going to supply 4K native games in physical disc form), the PS5 will need to have one as well.
I do believe that the Scorpio will have a UHD BD drive, but I don't think that it would be required for 4k gaming. The One S uses the same discs as the original One and can play in higher resolutions. And the PS4 Pro can do higher res gaming without an UHD disc. The currently released consoles don't actually use their disc drives for playing games beyond the initial verification.

Looking forward to the Scorpio, and the PS4 Pro 2.0 that it will inevitably cause. Hopefully the PS5 will continue supporting discs as well.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Looking forward to the Scorpio, and the PS4 Pro 2.0 that it will inevitably cause. Hopefully the PS5 will continue supporting discs as well.

That will be the interesting thing, is how long discs will be supported and what major changes the PS5 will bring. I definitely think digital download is making strides quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: s0nicpr0s
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.