Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BitwiseSolutions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Hey everyone,

We are looking for testers for our upcoming app called PlayCast, that allows you to remotely play your PlayStation 4 using an iOS device. This can work on your home network, or even over the internet, allowing you to play your games from anywhere.

20160704_225720.jpg

It is unfortunately not possible to connect the DualShock 4 controller to iOS devices, so PlayCast can be controlled either with an on-screen virtual controller or any MFi game controller (one example pictured above).

EDIT: We are no longer accepting new testers. Thank you all for your support! We will keep this thread updated with news and hope to bring PlayCast to the general public very soon.

If anyone has any questions about PlayCast, please post a reply to this thread and we’ll answer as quickly as possible.

Follow us on twitter for updates on PlayCast: http://twitter.com/BitwiseHK

Legal notice: PlayStation 4, DualShock 4, PS4 and PSN are trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. PlayCast is © 2016 Bitwise Solutions Limited.
 Bitwise Solutions Limited is not affiliated with Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, PS4, PSN or any associated subsidiaries, logos or trademarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Unless this project was blessed by Playstation and Apple.. I'm not even going to touch it

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have it up and running on my iPad Pro 12.9 and it's very good.

The issue for me has been the lack of certain controls on the Nimbus controller compared to the Six Axis controller (L3 & R3 for example). Likewise the trackpad control is missing obviously on the Nimbus and some games require that for inventory etc...

What I would like to do if possible is use the six axis is Bluetooth to the PS4 however if I turn on the six axis I get disconnect on my iPad.

Other than this the app is very well designed and works very well. Congratulations on it.

cplater

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2002
South Lyon, MI
I just got my invite. I'm looking forward to testing this out. Looks like I may need to pick up an MFI controller. Anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should buy?

Axotn1k

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
I old tester!
I Want to test! I have IOS 9.1 JB
My test Remote Play PC 0.2.0.5 test DOOM 2016

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just got my invite. I'm looking forward to testing this out. Looks like I may need to pick up an MFI controller. Anyone have a suggestion as to which one I should buy?

As MFI controllers go, as much as there are issues currently with some games and lack of buttons on the MFI controller, the Steel series Nimbus is the best MFI controller out there.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
Used it on my local network and it really is lag free. The main issue I have is getting used to the controller - steel series Nimbus. I'm a PlayStation Dual Shock player since PlayStation 1 days.

Edit: I've been playing Driveclub (only 2 trophies until platinum!) on 60 fps 720p was getting stutters and drop outs on an iPad Air 2. Dropped it down to 576p and 30 fps and was fine again.

I need to test the remote play over the Internet feature, has anyone else?

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My test!
Very big lags

Much like PS-TV, Vita and the desktop client to avoid lag ideally your Ps4 & device need to be on a 5ghz Wifi router and even more preferable your PS4 should be connected via Ethernet directly to the router.

Axotn1k

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
Much like PS-TV, Vita and the desktop client to avoid lag ideally your Ps4 & device need to be on a 5ghz Wifi router and even more preferable your PS4 should be connected via Ethernet directly to the router.

I do not agree, look my test Remote Play PC from Twist3d89 over internet, all game good

Last edited:

BitwiseSolutions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 30, 2016
My test!
Very big lags
Hi Axotn1k.

First thing I want to point out is that while the video description says its running on your local network, this is not the case. The app was unable to find your PS4 locally then it asked if you would like to connect via the internet, to which pressed yes - therefore the entire time it was running over the internet, not the local network. Depending on the quality of the internet connection between your phone and PS4, that could well explain the issues you're seeing. I can see according to the debug statistics that there is a very high amount of packet loss, and its also obvious that there is high network latency. It would be interesting if you could run the connection quality test from the settings menu and see what kind of values it reports.

Can you give us some details about the configuration that you're using? WiFi network type (2.4 or 5Ghz), how the PS4 is connected to the network, etc. I'm wondering why it could not find the PS4 on the local network - are you sure that both iPhone and PS4 are indeed on the same network?
[doublepost=1468402662][/doublepost]
I do not agree, look my test Remote Play PC from Twist3d89 over internet, all game good
In this case are both PC and PS4 connected via LAN cable? Of course you cannot expect the same level of network performance when running over a wireless network.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

You can disagree but what I posted is EXACTLY what SONY recommend. I am quite sure they know the best way to utilise Remote Play.

Playing over the Internet adds further layers of complications / variables to testing.

The iPhone SE is not the same device as your PC. It's connection to the Internet WiFi is different, it's speed that it can download / access data on your internet is different etc. Your ISP at the time of testing may have had issues. There are just so many variables

If you do want a better experience try testing directly on your network, not over the Internet and see if the experience improves.

Otherwise your hardly being helpful to the developer here just posting 'it lags' ....

Axotn1k

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Axotn1k.

First thing I want to point out is that while the video description says its running on your local network, this is not the case. The app was unable to find your PS4 locally then it asked if you would like to connect via the internet, to which pressed yes - therefore the entire time it was running over the internet, not the local network. Depending on the quality of the internet connection between your phone and PS4, that could well explain the issues you're seeing. I can see according to the debug statistics that there is a very high amount of packet loss, and its also obvious that there is high network latency. It would be interesting if you could run the connection quality test from the settings menu and see what kind of values it reports.

Can you give us some details about the configuration that you're using? WiFi network type (2.4 or 5Ghz), how the PS4 is connected to the network, etc. I'm wondering why it could not find the PS4 on the local network - are you sure that both iPhone and PS4 are indeed on the same network?

Yes! It was the same network, I make another video near the TV.
My ps4 connect to Wifi Router, and my settings router the same
TP-Link Wireless Menu.JPG

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes! It was the same network, I make another video near the TV.
My ps4 connect to Wifi Router, and my settings router the same
View attachment 640064

Both devices may have been connected to the same router, but in the video when you do connect to your PS4 you opted to do so via the connect to the Internet option to wake device, which then means all your data is sent down and back up the Internet via your ISP regardless of whether both devices were on the same network.

In this way you were connecting like this.

iPhone SE - Router - Internet / ISP ~ Internet / ISP - Router - PS4

Adding in your ISP adds a considerable difference to the experience.

Turn on your PS4, then initiate connection on your iPhone SE - do not choose, connect via internet.

This will mean

iPhone SE - Router - PS4.

I am able to run PlayCast directly like this on my Airport Extreme wifi at 720p 60FPS settings and only have minimal lag. As soon as I add the internet into the mix regardless of whether its playcast or official remote play apps - remote play becomes a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.