Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
zeal·ot
n.
1. a. One who is zealous, especially excessively so.
b. A fanatically committed person.
2. Zealot A member of a Jewish movement of the first century A.D. that fought against Roman rule in Palestine as incompatible with strict monotheism.

(edit: the above is from dictionary.com)

I'm not sure of the exact origins of the anti-zealot campaign (I think spikey was involved)... but as I understand it, the anti-zealots are in theory against people who are so fanatically pro-Mac that they are blind to both the limitations of the Mac platform and the advantages of other OS's.

They like to throw pies, too.
:D

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
There is a rather long thread in the general forum about it, but it doesn't ever say much more than what was said above.

Even though you haven't asked, the Pro Zealot Campaign is a shadow organization that promotes the belief that the Mac is a better platform and that more people should use it and increase Apple's market share so that Apple can develop more cool s**t.

The anti zealot campaign seems to be just a big old bandwagon with nowhere to go, so hop on everyone and tell your friends!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by SPG
The anti zealot campaign seems to be just a big old bandwagon with nowhere to go, so hop on everyone and tell your friends!

Oh, you're asking for a forum war here! Wait till mischief, jefhatfield and alphaTech see this. Should be fun.

I'm not on anyone's side myself, but if I didn't have my own cause, I'd probably be a anti-zealot. I am definitely against closemindedness.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by SPG
Take the bait!

Anti zealots don't stand for nothin!

C'mon! Take it!

Anti zealots are really closet zealots!

Oooh, now that's hitting hard!;)

Where are the anti-zealots? Did they get scared away? I was hoping for something to happen by now, but I guess I'll go out to dinner and the bars and come home and find the battle arleady fought. I hate when that happens.:mad:

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Uh, I just realized it's almost 5:00 and I don't want to sit here in front of a computer any longer than I have to. Can we delay the showdown until Monday 9:30ish? Thanks. The Pro Zealot Campaign also has a social life.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by SPG
There is a rather long thread in the general forum about it, but it doesn't ever say much more than what was said above.

Even though you haven't asked, the Pro Zealot Campaign is a shadow organization that promotes the belief that the Mac is a better platform and that more people should use it and increase Apple's market share so that Apple can develop more cool s**t.

As a user with real world experience I have to say that Unix and Linux have their own strong points that can beat a mac. I hate windows but even it has some credibility (not much though). I hope you're not considering pursuing a career in the computer industry as refusing to use other platforms will hurt your career. I use the Mac because of it's ease of use and excellence in graphics applications. If I wanted a massive network I would use Linux. If I really wanted the latest games I would go Windows. It's all a lifestyle choice to me.

--edit: I just saw your note about times SPG, sorry about that. I skimmed over that part.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Okay, here's the real deal. I honestly don't care too much which platform people use. There are plenty of reasons to use PC's, Linux, Unix, or a Unicorn covered pink notepad with a glittery pen. I like macs and I think that most other posters here like 'em too. This whole "Anti-Zealot Campaign" has turned into a witch hunt without any witches, so I thought it might be entertaining to play devils advocate and defend the Mac...wait that's a little silly saying that I have to stand up to defend the Mac against the macrumors regulars. Anyway use what you like, and call yourself what you like. I will continue to call myself Pro-Zealot unless someone out there can convince me otherwise.
Thank you and good day.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
..to promote macs with facts, not steve jobs'-like myths

spikey started it and i was the first member

let us promote macs with the good points of a mac...that's all the movement simply is

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
It's kind of evolved.

I, for one see it as not just being about Mac/M$ Zealots but about anyone who acts on Dogma instead of experience/research. One always has to be willing to say: "Whoops! I guess I was full of **** on that one."

This includes those who just nod their head and go along with genocide against Muslims because some Saudi mamma's boy got one good shot in. Violence won't solve the 2 major underlying problems: Poverty and Ignorance.

I am the Rogue Assasin because I am willing to voice politically incorrect views and try to speak the truth when the bull**** gets deep enough to need a boat.

I agree, SPG that Mac OS X is the bomb but we must keep THINKING.

Think Different: Ask questions...........it really p*sses off those in power.:D ;)

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
Eye, eye, eye...Let me state again: The Pro Zealot Movement is a joke. My mind is wide open, but I haven't seen anything out there that has convinced me that the Mac isn't the right choice for me. PC's are okay if they do what you want them to do. They don't for me and Macs always have so I like 'em and will continue to support them. I also think that more people would benefit from using Macs, but I'm not going to call them names
The Anti Zealot Campaign? Okay, I honestly thought that one was a joke too. But it seems to have turned from a good idea by the late Spikey into a club of posters who want to belong to something that sounds cool. And if we did get rid of the zealots then who would be left to run those multi page flame wars?

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by SPG
Eye, eye, eye...Let me state again: The Pro Zealot Movement is a joke. My mind is wide open, but I haven't seen anything out there that has convinced me that the Mac isn't the right choice for me. PC's are okay if they do what you want them to do. They don't for me and Macs always have so I like 'em and will continue to support them. I also think that more people would benefit from using Macs, but I'm not going to call them names
The Anti Zealot Campaign? Okay, I honestly thought that one was a joke too. But it seems to have turned from a good idea by the late Spikey into a club of posters who want to belong to something that sounds cool. And if we did get rid of the zealots then who would be left to run those multi page flame wars?

he he he...I wasn't directing that at u my friend...simply stating it for the ones who do not understand... ;)

I joined because I am an open-minded person who tries as best as possible to see both sides...although I'm often accused of seeing only "one side" when in a confrontation with my girlfriend...

don't worry about the flame wars...that's why we have AlphaTech! :D ;) :eek:

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
But tell me.... really tell me....

What real good is Windows?

Sure, i'd use linux to build a network. I'd get a PS2 to play games. I wouldn't ever buy a windows computer and really, unless you have some special need to use it, there's no reason to NOT go mac. My dad uses autocad and has continually become more and more frustrated with the OS and how it works.

He buys a 40 gb firewire drive and spends two days trying to get it installed in a Win ME box. I plugged it into my mac for demo and it popped right up on the screen.

He serious was considering ditching ACAD, the PC and all of his hardware for vectorworks and a g4.....

Simply stated, apple's "Everything is Easier on a Mac" is pretty right on. I used windows for many years b4 switching to Mac for design.... and it is MUCH easier. Everything.

Example two: there are a bunch of coffeehouses here with 802.11b networks setup. PC users flock over to my ti and watch me surf and ask how to do it. I tell them what they need and it seems like it takes them (and sometimes me) forever to get them up and running. It's just that Windows is in no way a consumer bred OS and why people still put up with that garbage is beyond me.

Everyone says that if apple gets more market they won't innovate. Bull. If they get more market, profits rise, and I think they innovate EVEN MORE. They have more money to sink into an already exorbitant (its gotta be!) R&D department

Just my .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.