Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2007
in a house
Hello, I'm new to the board!
Can someone please stear me in the right direction, I need to buy a new camera and have narrowed it down, but want to make sure I make the right decision.
I shoot a little for an outdoor TV show, they shoot in SD but have HD aspirations. I have a budget of around $2k. I'm looking for a dual purpose camera, one to use for the show, but also use at home filming my kids game and things.
I'm looking at the Sony HVR-A1U, 90% of the time, I'll be shooting in good, outdoor light and probably in SD, or DVCAM, but again, quite possibly in HD by the end of the year or next year.
Is this a good camera for these necessities or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
3CCDs are the best. You won't be able to find a HD camera for under 2k, but you'll probably be able to find a 3CCD SD camera for under that.

fisherman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2007
in a house
Thanks, I guess I'm wondering two things:
A) is the CMOS chip just not TV quality, at all?
B) what camera would you reccommend keeping in mind it needs to be small for travel purposes, versitile to use for family fun yet shoot quality looking footage for B roll stuff on professional shoots. As in on a jib or something like that.
And PS, I just returned the Canon HV20 because it was too small, bad in low light and the image stabilizer rock around like it was loose...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
3CCDs are the best. You won't be able to find a HD camera for under 2k, but you'll probably be able to find a 3CCD SD camera for under that.

Compared to single CCDs cameras 3CCDs cameras are superior, but the CMOS chips showing up in the new batch of HDV cameras is changing that. Assuming all other things are equal the current crop of CMOS cameras perform nearly as well, if not better, than their 3CCD cousins.

OP, I don't have any first hand experience w/that camera, but if you check out dvinfo.net they have a ton of forums including one for the Sony A1.

Lethal

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Thanks, I guess I'm wondering two things:
A) is the CMOS chip just not TV quality, at all?
B) what camera would you reccommend keeping in mind it needs to be small for travel purposes, versitile to use for family fun yet shoot quality looking footage for B roll stuff on professional shoots. As in on a jib or something like that.
And PS, I just returned the Canon HV20 because it was too small, bad in low light and the image stabilizer rock around like it was loose...

for standard definition i'd recommend a canon gl2 or a similar model from jvc, sony, panasonic

fisherman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2007
in a house
Thanks for all the posts, I'm still a little confused....some of the camera's your talking about are in the $3k range, outside my budget, or are a little to big for what I need.
I chose the Sony A1U because of it's size and abilities, but then, afterwards, had second thoughts as I wasn't sure if was broadcast quality (Cable network). So I was interested in knowing if there was another camera I should be looking at in the $2k range or below, similar in size that shoots great SD and good HD to grow into.
The GL2 has the SD covered and is a decent size, but no HD capability if I'm correct.
Is there another camera for around $2k, small, great SD footage, with HD ability out there? In a year I'll probably be lookinf for something like the Canon HD A1, or Sony Z1U or V1U or something...but for now, I only got $2k, sadly to say...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks for all the posts, I'm still a little confused....some of the camera's your talking about are in the $3k range, outside my budget, or are a little to big for what I need.
I chose the Sony A1U because of it's size and abilities, but then, afterwards, had second thoughts as I wasn't sure if was broadcast quality (Cable network). So I was interested in knowing if there was another camera I should be looking at in the $2k range or below, similar in size that shoots great SD and good HD to grow into.
The GL2 has the SD covered and is a decent size, but no HD capability if I'm correct.
Is there another camera for around $2k, small, great SD footage, with HD ability out there? In a year I'll probably be lookinf for something like the Canon HD A1, or Sony Z1U or V1U or something...but for now, I only got $2k, sadly to say...

You aren't going to find a camera people would refer to as "broadcast quality" for $2k. But if you've tested the camera out and you think it provides adequate quality and the Cable network (or whomever you deliver your show to) has seen the footage and think it provides adequate quality then go for it.

Lethal

fisherman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2007
in a house
OK, good point, it's more for my own knowledge that the network I guess, as they put out some pretty low budget stuff....I'm sure our stuff will be fine...

Overall, are the images an A1U puts out that much different than a 3CCD camera, is the real question. Would a novice know the difference if they saw them on TV? The A1U isn't a cheap camera, is it better than let's say the Sony HC7, Canon HV20?? There's roughly a $1000 dollar difference ion the camera's (A1U to the HC7 and the Canon HV20)....can I expect to see a $1000 difference in the picture quality??????

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Overall, are the images an A1U puts out that much different than a 3CCD camera, is the real question. Would a novice know the difference if they saw them on TV? The A1U isn't a cheap camera, is it better than let's say the Sony HC7, Canon HV20?? There's roughly a $1000 dollar difference ion the camera's (A1U to the HC7 and the Canon HV20)....can I expect to see a $1000 difference in the picture quality??????

There aren't any 3 CCD HD cameras in your price range so it's kind of a moot point, isn't it? ;) A camera's imaging sensor is only part of the equation in determining the quality of image it can generate. For what it's worth Sony seems to be replacing it's 3CCD prosumer cameras w/single chip CMOS cameras.

What you get for the extra money is a camera w/more prosumer level features than a consumer camera. Always spend as much as you can, especially when it's for your livelihood, IMO.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.